Eating out.. What's a safe guess

Options
Working on my second week and I will be traveling both this weekend and next.. I'm really worried about ordering food. I don't know enough about food to look at a menu and see calories.. So I guess my question is what are your old faithfuls when eating out.. I only have 1300 cal and excerise will be hit or miss.

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sarah,

A lot of big chain restaurants (O'Charleys, Red Lobster, Applebee's, etc.) have entree calorie information on MFP. If you have a smartphone (Android or iPhone), the MyFitnessPal app is awesome and I lean on it heavily.

If you are at a local restaurant, you will more than likely not find the EXACT match on MFP. I try to find the best match and guestimate high and allow a little calorie surplus.

When in doubt, take what you get on your plate and immediately ask for a box and put 1/2 of it in the box. Out of sight, out of mind.

I travel a lot for my job and so far, being away from a controlled environment hasn't derailed my weight loss progress.

Good luck to you!!
  • jen051279
    Options
    do not get anything breaded. Salads at restaurants usually aren't healthy. get like a grilled chicken sandwich but only eat the chicken breast nt the bun. Ask for everything without sauce or at least on the side so you can limit it.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, avoid cream sauces, avoid fried foods, always request dressing on the side of a salad, always ask for a box when they bring the meal and put away some for left overs or just don't eat it, always order water to drink instead of soda or alcohol. Those are a few safety tips.
  • Jenn1254
    Jenn1254 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's really tough for me to guess what would be a good choice. If you have a smart phone, you can download apps that already have food items listed for several restaurants (or you can find something similar for what you are eating if it's not a chain restaurant). Just search for "restaurant nutrition". It's a free app. And don't forget about MFP's free app. It's a life saver for me. Another option is if you know or can find out what restaurants will be in the area you are going to, look up their nutrition online before you go and make some notes.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    If possible, check nutrition values before ordering. Baked, broiled, poached...those kinds of things are good. Things covered in sauces tend to be high in cals, sodium and God knows what. Steamed veggies are great.

Ask your server, if possible, to tell the cook to not add salt.

Lots of water. Doesn't matter how healthy the menu/nutrition claims, sodium is almost always the deal breaker.
  • jpeebs88
    Options
    At most restaurants (sit down ones) you can ask for a menu with nutritional information.
    Someplaces that I know have yummy, < 500 cal meals are Applebees, Bob Evans, Chipoltle, Olive Garden... just look around on the internet!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would make up a worksheet with places you are most likely to go with calorie count and all that in case your phone is dead or what not. I have a list made up for the occasional eating out because I can't eat dairy AND I want to it be healthy so it's a lot of work finding both. I'm not sure where you live but everywhere where I am in CA has calories next to the menu item on the order board or in the actual menu itself. Or there is a booklet of nutritional information on the table. If you can definitely research before eating on the internet or like I said...make a list if internet won't be available!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I go on the internet and look up restraunts nutrionional information before I go and decide what I am going to order before I go, I dont look at menus once I get there. So I am not tempted. Also you can ask at most restraunts for nutritional information. I usually stick with I love terriyaki, olive garden, applebees. mimis cafe, dos coyotes, brookfields, panera bread, subway, These places have a light menu. I hope this helps. Also soup is a good choice almost anywhere
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    NOTHING. Ok not really but seriously. You say you're not good at this but you know the difference between a baked potato and a fried one a piece of fried chicken and bbq chicken breast.

You know to order everything on the side, you know to look it up. You know to limit the size. You can do what you set your mind too.

You can do this! You can make the best decision that you can make for you. Do what you want and what you know is best for you and you'll rock it.

Hang in there. If you slip up then you get back on the horse. It's life and none of us are going to make it out alive.

Enjoy your travels and relax and have a good time and do what's best for you.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot this... Ask for a to go box immediately. Most restaurant portions are double what they should be. Box half your meal when it comes and put aside.

Or, share a meal. I do this one a lot if I go out.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, avoid cream sauces, avoid fried foods, always request dressing on the side of a salad, always ask for a box when they bring the meal and put away some for left overs or just don't eat it, always order water to drink instead of soda or alcohol. Those are a few safety tips.

These are great tips- also avoid cheese, If "steamed" veggies come with a meal ask them not to add butter. In most places potatoes are a butter death trap so avoid those, pasta too (same deal they toss it in oil or butter to keep the noodles from sticking together. Salads can be ok just portion it out if it comes with gobs of toppings. When getting dressing ask for the fat free or low fat versions (although all dressing tends to be high in sodium). Remember a "serving" of meat is about the size of a deck of playing cards (or your cell phone). And try and do your research before you go. Oh and... if you go out and you blow it- take it as a lesson learned, there's always tomorrow.
  • Marm1954
    Marm1954 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Subway
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I always look up the nutrition information before I eat something. It's really hard to judge what will be low calorie. Another problem is that if you choose a low calorie option at a restaurant, it will most likely be loaded with sodium. Best advice I can give, is just plan it all out before you eat it.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have a few cheats that normally get me through eating out if I cannot find calorie info.

* avoid anything deep fried / in a creamy sauce / with extra cheese. Go for lean meats / tomato based dishes and ask for new potatoes as opposed to fries / jacket
    * If at all possible opt for a children's meal (especially with pasta dishes)
    * try to stick to just a main course - if you do go for kiddy portion ask for a side salad too
    * drink lots of water
    * if you have to have a dessert make it a sorbet
    * eat slowly and stop when you feel full - restaurant portions are normally far too big.
  • jackielynnhutnik
    Options
    I usually order a side salad, and an appetizer as my meal. The appetizer is a good choice because it is a smaller portion. And the side salad with fat free dressing is better for you than the larger salads with breaded chicken. Good Luck! If you have a smart phone there are all kinds of apps to help you!
  • sbanders
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Someons had posted this website on here a while ago, its great: http://www.fastfood.com/nutrition/
    Or try the Calorie king web site or book. Eating out you can usually find grilled chicken, and veggies, sodium levels are vvery high though. Good luck