I need some tough love. Give it to me straight.

Options
Ok people. So I have been on here for over 130 days (actually may have lost my streak on Sunday, not sure but we shall see I guess?) I have lost 13 pounds, mostly of fat I hope and gained really quite a bit more muscle definition. I have run 5 5k races since joining, and I am really trying to work on the eating thing. and I still have quite a bit to lose. My first goal is 145 and it just feels so far away. Plus, the reason I am posting is I need some tough love, encouragement or a wake up call. something. I have been slipping back into making bad choices. I tell myself "i can eat this cookie, because I lost 13 pounds, and Im not gonna gain it all back in one night!" but I tell myself this over and over again, and the weight is surely gonna start creeping back. I hate food, I obsess over it, I think about it all the time, I cave and beat myself up over the bad decisions. I have been back to drinking some diet soda (maybe four or five times a week, up from NONE) and have eaten fast food twice since the semester started after not eating it at all for about 5 months. it just feels horrible. I want more than anything to get the body I dream of that is strong, fit and toned, hot in a bikini and free of the belly chubs. I want to be confidant and beautiful, I want my skin to clear (as everyone knows a constant source of stress, like and evil feed back loop of acne causing stress causing acne causing stress etc). I dont know why I am too weak to put down the cookie, stick to a calorie goal, and stop caving in to my cravings. I dont know why I dont feel like it is worth it or it is too hard or it will take too long but I do. this short time pleasure is taking over my long term goal. I try to distract with reading success stories, chewing gum, drinking water or hot tea, buying pretty slightly too small clothes, and yet I still keep overeating cookies, eating candy, going over my sodium and eating simply too many calories. I dont need anyone to tell me "its ok, we all break down sometimes" I need someone to give me a freaking wake up call. and I needed to write this to get the frustration out, so if you made it to the end, thanks, I love you all out there on MFP, you have supported me and helped me change my life, without you I wouldnt be on this journey at all!
thanks y'all!!!

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Talk to BirdsofaFeather.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well my dear, I think you are being FAR to hard on yourself! I read your post and what I saw was how much you have accomplished! This is a lifestyle change, not a "diet". You sound like you have definitely make some impressive gains in a positive direction, AND you also seem to know where you have veered off the path. No one is perfect. You know what you need to do to get back on track.
  • nelstc01
    Options
    I know what you mean, cookies are amazing! I snack on them all the time. A year ago I was training to run a mini marathon. I needed to lose a couple pounds so I'd be able to run faster. The main thing I did was to cut cookies from my diet. Instead of cookies, I ate celery and peanut butter. You are probably thinking that peanut butter has just as many calories as cookies. That may be so, but the proteins help burn fat. So my advice to you is to find healthy snack foods. Carrots, celery, whatever. Also, get lots of proteins. When you mix proteins with exercise you burn fat. And another thing, it isn't what you eat, it is how much you eat. Eating a cookie everyonce in a while is not going to hurt your progress. If you eat 20 a day it obviously will. But one or two probably won't do much harm. Maybe you could reward yourself for sticking to your diet plan. Eat healthy 6 days out of the week, and on the seventh, if you made your goal, have 6 or 7 cookies!
  • jerikamarie123
    Options
    Perhaps it's not exactly tough love you need, but a few ideas... I noticed when women I know including myself, set small weight loss goals to start, they are more likely to reach them. you have lost 13 pounds which is amazing congrats!!! But maybe the goal shouldnt have been 27 lbs it should be 20, closer, and doesn't seem so "far away". I personally have a hard time looking at the "big picture" and had to break it down, 5lb goal, ten lb goal, 15lb goal, I am doing way better this way. Also, I don't think you should feelbad for having a soda, or one cookie, you have to "treat" yourself or the whole process at least to me seems like punishment sometimes! I hope this helped a little! GOOD LUCK! Great job so far too!
  • melissarforlife
    melissarforlife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I am pretty blunt, so here goes! This site, as you know is wonderful, but you have to get off your lazy butt and do it! Make your schedule and stick to it. Stop beating yourself up and just do it. Everyday, do it. Eat with intention..and when you over come a temptation...tell yourself you are proud of YOU! No one can do this for you...so just do it. If its your time to shut up and stop damning yourself, then you will.

I am sick and tired of ME, my reflection...my crap, my Monday decisions and Fridays failures! So with Gods help, and me being mad enough, which I am...but my committment, my life committment to health is more importatant!!! Is it like that with you? Are you ready to give yourself THIS!!!????

I'd love to be your friend and help to encourage, but honestly, if you don't want this, this will be like everything else..right?
    Add me as a friend, and we can do this together, but if not I wish you the very best regardless.
    God bless....and from me, Melissa....JUST DO IT!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For me, watching movies like " Food Inc"..."King corn"..."Food matters"..just to name a few made me realise the junk they put in fast food, and also most of the " snacking" foods.
    This made me want to eat organic food only, and that makes it so much easier not to overeat.
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know the vicious cycles all too well and the hopelessness they can make me feel. And I totally get the cravings & cavings you talked about. The thing that sucks is that you're not going to change until you're ready for it. And maybe you are just not ready. Or, maybe you are and you're just a hair away from a breakthrough.

Losing weight is more than just getting to a goal. It's a process and for some (like myself and you) it's some steps forward and some steps back. The worst thing you can do is beat yourself up over it. I'm not saying that I co-sign on bullsh*t and would feed you lines of "one day at a time" or "that's okay we all have bad days" (both true but won't do you any good at this point) but attitude and self respect is a huge part of getting to the end goal.

As for the cravings and cavings... The only thing I have found that works for me is abstinence. Yes, the word is scary but it's the only way I have found to stay away from the foods that cause that vicious cycle. Sugar is my enemy. I eat it and there's no stopping me. I have to have dessert every night, then a sweet treat after lunch too and then the next thing I know I'm eating sugar for every meal. So, I stay away. It sucks, it's hard especially for the first few weeks. BUT it doesn't suck as bad as being severely overweight, overcome by cravings, giving in to the cravings and feeling emotionally weak, with a face full of acne and low energy.

I heard or read somewhere that it takes 21 days to form a good habit. So try to set some goals to follow for the next 21 days and then take it from there.

The only reason I write so much is because I totally relate and feel for you and the spot you are in. I hope I said something that was helpful.

Best of luck.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    To give it to you straight, I'm not going to tell you to put down the cookie(s). It's literally your decision to have picked it up in the first place. Sure, you can talk yourself into having a few because of weight loss, as a reward system. I don't believe in incentives for hard work. I really don't. It forces people to do things that they wouldn't do otherwise, simply because there's the proverbial carrot dangling in front of them.

Since the main focus of the topic, I believe, isn't the cookie itself, but your feelings of utter guilt, regret, shame, and an inevitable downward spiral stemming from the aforementioned emotions. Do you track those cookies you have? Do you accommodate the rest of your meals to fall within your calorie goal when you eat those cookies? As much as you would love the stress of the world to go away, you sure create a lot of it for yourself. I keep telling people that life is all about perspective. You can live a life full of negativity, challenges, barriers, shortcomings, etc., and still be stress-free. How? By looking at those same hardships in a different light.

If you're going to have a cookie, enjoy it. Be responsible for it, as in tracking it, but enjoy it. If you want it, no one's going to stop you. You have to be the one to realize that there's nothing anyone can possibly tell you that you can't do for yourself. You've committed yourself to losing weight and you have lost 13 so far, which is an accomplishment. You can also look at having the cookie and the weight gain associated with it as a challenge that you're creating for yourself. Challenge yourself to be able to lose whatever weight you think is going to come back. You will have fluctuation periods and plateaus. That's a guarantee for anyone losing weight. It won't be because you had one or two cookies.

Then again, it's just a cookie. You know what they taste like, so if indulging in one will trigger you to grab more, why even take the risk if you already know the possible consequence? Would you offer a recovering alcoholic a shot of tequila? Or a recovering addict a loaded pipe of crystal meth? If you would, then you'd be just like me...but I like my problems and therefore feel that I really don't have any.

By saying you're "distracting" yourself from thinking about eating what you've decided to cut out, you're actually still thinking about it, but you're just trying to occupy your mind that's preoccupied with the food. The only way to stop, if that's what you really want to do, is just that. Stop. It's a simple concept that's as easy to apply as how strong you're able to stick with decisions you make. If you waver in decision, you waver in motivation, which will waver throughout your entire mentality with sticking to a goal.

There's not a lot more that I can say except, it's your body and you're allowed to do whatever you want with it. But whatever you do, make sure that it's a decision you wholeheartedly believe is right for yourself, regardless of what anyone says or what "negative" results dictate.
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A few things:

--If you know you can't help but eat the cookie, why are they anywhere near you? This goes for other crappy food in your house. If you're stuck eating crap, you will eat crap. If you have fresh berries, fruits, veggies, even microwave meals, you will eat them. Get yummy, healthy snacks, and you won't be craving cookies.

--In addition, stop trying to quit food. You shouldn't deprive yourself to the point where you get hungry enough to NEED a certain food. There will be times when you would like a certain food, and that's okay, just know that it needs to be accounted for in your calorie intake. I'm still losing weight eating the occasional [ONE] cookie or [1/2 cup] ice cream.

--Honestly, I think you look good. I understand wanting to tone up or lose weight, but it's hard to do if you don't have much to lose. You will probably lose weight at a slower rate than someone who has 200 pounds to lose. Your lifestyle is probably somewhat healthy, just needs a few little tweaks.

--If you aren't already tracking, track all of your food and exercise. If you don't measure your food's portions, start. If you're not drinking water, drink. Travel by foot or bike whenever you can. Take the stairs. Increase your fiber intake, it makes you feel fuller longer. Set mini-goals, and look at your goals as milestones. Good luck. Stay motivated.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for the incredibly insightful and thoughtful replies. I appreciate it so much. I think one of my problems this week is that I am staying with my best friend at her house, and when I am out of my own house I feel a loss of my sense of control, and ability to have control over what I put into my body, and I know this isnt something that is going to change quickly, but will take time and effort. when I got here, she had baked a whole delicious amazing batch of the most perfect chocolate chip cookies, and it was like my vice was constantly staring back at me with a giant "eat me!" sticker on it. it has a drug-like feeling of desire attached to it. I would never have bought or baked those cookies, im out of my element and she didnt mean me harm but didnt realize how hard this is. anyway, thanks again you guys. your words mean more than you know.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Put down the cookie and pick up some weights. It sounds like you're concentrating on running, some yoga, and pilates, but no weights. If you really want to lose weight and get toned, then you are going to have to lift some weights (unless you are doing some pretty advanced yoga, and with your focus on running I'm guessing you are not). I would suggest reading Oxygen magazine (yes, I always suggest that). There are several fitness and figure competitors who made their way from obsession with food and eating disorders to where it sounds like you want to be. A figure competitor in the off-season is probably what you want to shoot for - not too big or bulky, and sexy as hell.

Also, your next goal weight should be maybe 170. Mini-rewards of 3-5 pounds can be continued in the beginning, and later on if still needed. Reward yourself with a massage, new CD, or something non-food related. Also non-exercise related works well if you like (for example, a CD that is not for working out to). I would say that you need to get a notebook and plan out your meals for the week. 5-6 small meals a day, along with your grocery list, and stick to it. Carry it with you everywhere. When you are tempted, open up your notebook, tsk, tsk, and say, "Well, that's not on the menu today - I'm having ___fill in the blank___." By eating 5-6 times a day you will never feel like you are hungry. In fact, some people get sick of eating so often at the beginning that they say they "can't" finish what's planned for the day. That is the ultimate mistake. Plan what to eat, when to eat it, and eat it. Your body will adjust quickly, and you'll be glad that food is never far away.

The question I used to ask myself when I wanted to pick up a cookie or order a pizza (back when I was losing 100 pounds) was: is this worth dying for? That's one of the only things that would get me to break the cycle. Your thoughts can be modified to be less extreme over time, of course. If you want a cookie, put it in your meal plan for the week, and then eat what's in the meal plan. With your history with food, it sounds like you need a month or two of extreme modification before you can start to relax things more. Sometimes that's just the way it is. I was there.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ^I actually do have a personal trainer who I do an hour of weights with once a week, and then on my own at least 3 more times. I just LOVE running and yoga more :) I do an Ashtanga killer yoga class once a week, and my weight is actually at 160 currently...working out really is less the issue for me, especially now that I have been using my heart rate monitor for a while, I think the biggest problem is the cycle of cutting things out, and then caving back into them. I cant seem to decide if its better to go cold turkey as some of you have suggested, or attempt to practice slight moderation of trigger foods..
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Oh, I just saw the 174. :drinker:
  • trouble007
    trouble007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of good advice on here. I am far from my goal, but years ago after recovering from an injury that put me off my feet for 19 months (and threatened to end my career in the Marine Corps) I discovered a few tricks that I am now applying to my less disciplined, much larger, much busier self. 1. small goals are key. Now I set an objective and mark it on my calendar. For instance, my first target is to be down 15 pounds from where I began before I started MFP by March 15. It's a reasonable goal as long as I stay focused and if I get there I'm going to splurge on hair color and highlights as a reward. 2. moderation is a blessing. When I drastically alter my lifestyle I don't adhere to the changes. I LOVE sweets, so I make sure one day in a calendar week I allow myself something of a treat, but I have smaller portions than I use to. Like, I don't need a box of doughnuts, but one gooey, sacred, off-limits-every-other-day Boston Cream PIe eaten at the end of a meal (so I don't decide I'm starving and need 5 more) almost seems more divine now than it did before when I never even bothered tasting it. Do things little by little, just like when you were beginning to run. 3. it's not a diet. Don't look at this as a diet, but as attentiveness or conscientiousness. You have already applied very successful philosophies to your running standards. Bend those same ideas to focus your attention on your eating habits. You can do whatever you set your heart, mind, and feet to do!
    Cheers!
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    An article my Dad sent me a long time ago. It helps to put it in perspective:

One Meal to Good (or Bad) Health
    Everyone knows a good diet is important for long-term well-being. But a new study shows that it's also crucial for good health today
    By LAURA BLUE

Posted Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2008 Want to know how many cheeseburgers you'd have to eat before they start doing damage to your body? The answer, according to a review of new dietary research, is just one. Just one high-fat, high-sugar meal can trigger a biochemical cascade, causing inflammation of blood vessels and immediate, detrimental changes to the nervous system, according to the paper, published this week in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. And just one healthy meal helps return your body to its optimal state. "Your health and vigor, at a very basic level, are as good as your last meal," says lead author James O'Keefe, head of preventive cardiology at the Mid America Heart Institute in Kansas City, Mo.

Here's how it works. When you eat, your body breaks down the food into a stream of nutrients, including glucose (sugar), lipids (fats), and amino acids (the building blocks of protein). If your meal happens to be junk food — say, a processed bun with a cheap beef patty, French fries and a Coke — the rush of sugar causes something called "post-prandial hyperglycemia": a big spike in blood-sugar levels. Poor diet in the long-term leads to hypertension and buildup of gunk in blood vessels that increases heart-attack risk. But there are short-term effects too. "People don't understand this, even most physicians," says O'Keefe. Tissue becomes inflamed, just as it does when infected. Blood vessels constrict. Free radicals, unstable molecules that cause cell damage and are thought to contribute to chronic disease and aging, are generated. The body's stress response has a bigger effect on blood pressure, raising it higher than normal. People may notice they feel crummy a few hours after eating junk food. And the sudden surge and drop in insulin — the hormone that spurs your body to store energy — also leaves them feeling hungry again soon after eating, despite having had plenty of calories.

The good news is that these blood-sugar spikes and crashes are easy to regulate. Blood sugar will rise and fall quickly if, for example, a person eats an easily digested meal of only white bread. Eat some vinegar with the bread, however, and the impact is dampened: The vinegar slows digestion, helping to keep blood-sugar levels more even. The same thing happens if a person takes his bread with nuts or with a glass of wine. (The dampening effect of alcohol reverses after more than a couple units, which may help to explain why moderate drinking, but not heavy drinking, is associated with long life.) The common denominator of all these slow-release foods, says O'Keefe, is a generally high nutritive value with low calories. The healthy foods are exactly the ones you would expect, all that stuff your mom (and your doctor) told you to eat: lots of fresh vegetables and fruits, lean proteins like fish and legumes, and high-fiber whole grains. All of them blunt the post-prandial spike. "To some degree it kind of highlights why some dietary components are healthy for you," says O'Keefe.

Regardless of its benefits, healthy food can leave you feeling unsatisfied if you're used to eating junk. Junk food distorts a person's hormonal profile, says O'Keefe. Note, for example, the previously mentioned drop in insulin that leaves a person hungry not long after eating a heavy meal. Studies suggest that fatty, sugary foods promote excretion of the stress hormone cortisol, which seems to further stimulate appetite for calorie-dense foods. And the big post-meal spikes in blood sugar are more likely in people who don't exercise or those who carry weight around their abdomen. All of it makes it tough for people to stop eating junk food once they're in the habit. "The more you eat it the more you crave it. It becomes a vicious cycle," says O'Keefe. The solution? "I tell people they should get a home glucose monitor," he says. Then you can see immediately what your meals are doing to your body. It may help you stick to your plan to eat well, too. "You can improve your health, basically, from hour to hour," he says.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much for the incredibly insightful and thoughtful replies. I appreciate it so much. I think one of my problems this week is that I am staying with my best friend at her house, and when I am out of my own house I feel a loss of my sense of control, and ability to have control over what I put into my body, and I know this isnt something that is going to change quickly, but will take time and effort. when I got here, she had baked a whole delicious amazing batch of the most perfect chocolate chip cookies, and it was like my vice was constantly staring back at me with a giant "eat me!" sticker on it. it has a drug-like feeling of desire attached to it. I would never have bought or baked those cookies, im out of my element and she didnt mean me harm but didnt realize how hard this is. anyway, thanks again you guys. your words mean more than you know.

You have an addiction. Your friend didn't mean you harm, but harm it was nevertheless.

I have the same problem around these foods, and my solution was to break free by fasting for 24 hours (do drink however) and then track again on MFP what I eat, keeping to my calories. This means you do have to take control over your situation also when you're out of your house. Planning what you'll be eating on a day will perhaps make it easier to stick to your healthy way of eating, and remembering that you only have to make it through the day (and night!) will too. Good luck and hang in there!