new here HYPOTHYROID HELP!!

Options
Hey,
I just made this profile because I really NEED to get myself TOGETHER! I have Hypothyroidism, I've been taking meds for this for 10 yrs. I just would like to hear from other who also have this disease. This is my 1st attempt at losing weight, I've always thought that ppl with thyroid problem CAN'T LOSE weight. But I really need to get this under control. I'd love to hear sucess stories from ppl who have a thyroid issue.

Thnx....:heart:

Replies

• rockmack
    Options
    I have Graves Disease for about 12 years. As long as my thyroid levels are kept at the recommended levels by my meds I function (including TRYING to loose weight) just like everyone else.

PS~good luck!
  • I was diagnoses a few months ago. I'm on meds and hoping that with diet and exercise I can lose 62lbs more (I'm down 19). Its hard and frustrating because I feel like we have even more against us. I also have pcos so more difficulty losing.

Good luck!
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with this and was told that's "why he can't lose weight.' What a load of crap. I put him on a Clean Eating plan of 5-6 healthy meals a day, and he was off his meds after a few months. He lost like 25 pounds or something. His doctor was "amazed" by his blood work. It still surprises me that people don't realize it's about what they eat, and doctor's don't even get it.

Check with your doctor before altering medication.
  • katikati
    Options
    Well I have hypothyroidism too! i think you need to stop using that as an excuse, you are on the medication so your thyroid actions are being replaced. Get entering healthy foods into MFP and stay within your cal limit and get some exercise. I sometimes enter a meal before I prepare and add amounts or take some out depending on how its adding up! Really makes you aware of what you are eating and how eating healthy meals you can eat more and feel satisfied. :flowerforyou:
  • sfjem
    sfjem Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am have hypothyroidism, too. I recently have been trying to maintain a low-carb, high-protein diet, and have been trying to eliminate sugar from my diet. (You might want to read a book- Protein Power). So far, I have lost 8 pounds since mid-January. Oh, and I have been going to the gym 3-4 times a week where I go on the treadmill for 40 minutes, then do strength training exercises for about 25-30 minutes. (Lift weights, sit ups, machines) Good luck!