weighing chicken

Options
dave4d
dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
The other day I was making chicken pita pizzas, so I weighed 16 oz of chicken for 4 pizzas, thinking it would be 4oz per pizza. After grilling the chicken, I could only get an average of a little less than 3oz of chicken per pizza. When adding nutritional info on meats, is it before cooking, or after? In other words did I use 4oz or 3oz for my pizza?

Replies

• angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered the same thing. I'll be watching to see what others say.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Not entirely sure, but if you check the food database you can enter chicken raw, or cooked on there...

regards,

David
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Unless something specifically says Xoz "cooked", always assume it's the raw weight. That's how meats are weighed as an industry standard. That's why when you hear advertisements for "quarter pound" burgers, there's always fine print at the bottom of the screen that says "pre-cooked weight".

Any nutrition info on raw meat labels are for the raw weight and that's what you should go by. Because one 4 oz breast may cook down to 3.5 oz and another could cook down to 3 oz.