Tips for drinking enough water?

Options
I have a baby to feed and I want to make sure my breastmilk doesn't go away. I notice on days I don't have enough water there seems to be less.. To ensure my supply stays up and for health in general what are some tips you can pass along to help me get enough water?

Ps. I don't have any other liquids in the house other than water and almond milk :)

Replies

• schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Crystal light! None of the metabolism ones with caffeine. Just a plain lemonade. It makes the water go down much more easily on the days that I'm not that interested in my water.
  • lazyamerz
    lazyamerz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A bit of lime cordial helps get my water down!
  • Mikiki_x
    Options
    I always have a 1ltr bottle of water with a drop of dilute in reach, 2 ltrs are gone in no time
  • miss_thang1619
    Options
    I like mine with a slice of cucumber sometimes :)
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, there's a free app called Water Monitor that lets you track how much water you've drunk and will alert you if you haven't drunk enough. I've been using for a few days now and have found it really helpful.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Water is the BEST for making breast milk.
    Every time you eat a meal, have a glass or two. Every time you go for a pee, have a glass or two, every time you do something you regularly do, have a glass or two:)
  • tonybandero
    Options
    Tip 1: Similar to the last poster, but: every time I have a coffee/tea I have a pint of water 'chaser'. This also directly counteracts the dehydrating effect of the caffeine.
    Tip 2: Get some fridge magnets and put one on the door every time you drink a pint of water
    Tip 3: Drink less caffeine!

Generally speaking, drinking cordial (for me) is a bit dangerous; even if it only tastes sweet it re-awakens the sugar cravings, so have learnt to enjoy water straight.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass as soon as you get up. And try to drink two with every meal. Take some water with you when you workout, and sip on it when you are resting between exercises, or thirsty.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My tip is to always have a cup of water or bottle handy - if it's there I drink it - if it's not I just forget. Plus plain water gets a bit boring so I normally have a bit of sugar free cordial of some type in it, just a dash to take the edge of it.

Love the idea of a cup of tea / coffee water chaser. I might try that :drinker:
  • shyaamist
    Options
    I try to look at it like this, the more I drink, the less I eat! If I start to feel snacky during the day, I try to drink 1 glass of water first. If I'm still snacky after about 20 min, then I will go look for something decent to eat and hey... I got another glass in! :drinker:
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    U need to make water more interesting. Here are my variations:

• hot water and lemon in the morning
    • still water with no added sugars cordial
    • fizzy water with no added sugar cordial (tastes like a fizzy drink!)
    • red bush tea (as hydrating as water but CAFFEINE FREE!)
    • green tea or other herbal teas (I keep strawberry, lemon and Ginger and peppermint tea in the house!)

With these options I'm not just guzzling plain water all day.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Try adding a little lemon juice. It makes water taste a little less like water. I like to fill up a large water bottle and carry it around with me. I'll be checking my Google Reader and sipping away and before I know it, it's time to fill up and go to the bathroom. :smile:
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have a glass/bottle on hand and drink every time you feed baby. Don't sit down to feed without a drink. I always got parched with my little one.
  • ElianeSweety
    Options
    I used to have a bottle of water with me all the time. Specially when I sat down to breastfeed (midwive advice!). And I had SOOO much milk. My little cheeky breastfed until nearly 19 months old. Wow.

PS.: And I am small with small breast! When pregnant I thought I wasn't going to have any milk.

Keep a bottle of water with you ALWAYS!