Does this sound like a good day of eating?

Options
Hi guys,
Now know that starving yourself puts you in starvation mode, so i'm wanting to hit this eating right thing right on the nose.
So, does this sound good?

Breakfast- Apple
Lunch- Smucker's Uncrustable, Banana
Dinner- Don't really know yet, but usually consist of lean meat, vegetables, and something like mac and cheese on the side. ( i live with other people, so i don't really like the mac and cheese. )

I don't really eat a lot during the day though... i do a lot of exercise though.

Replies

• tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like enough, especially breakfast. i would guess it is less than 1200 calories, and if you are exercising too then you definitely should eat more
  • kateslife
    Options
    alright, sounds good. any ideas of good fillers for the empty spaces in the diet?, def more vegetables i think.
  • trudypickles
    Options
    try to eat a bigger breakfast, and add high calorie healthy snacks like nuts and seeds when eating back your exercise calories...it wont do you any harm,....If your net intack is below 1200 you could be doing more harm than good x good luck x
  • trudypickles
    Options
    Just noticed you are trying to maintain at 109 lbs I think the typical equatuion is 14 cals per lb?? (correct me if im wrong) that would mean you need at least 1500cals a day and eating back exercise calories not to lose any more weight xx
  • kateslife
    Options
    sounds good! you guys are such a big help(:!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and just make yourself a real sandwich instead getting the uncrustables things.

And like others said, it sounds like next to nothing for an enter day. You'll want a bigger breakfast, more fruits and veggies all through the day and make sure you're eating more than just the three times each day.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would try and go for a bigger breakfast - porridge with mixed nuts is my breakfast of choice. Sets you up for the day :smile:
  • lovebrittnie
    Options
    ideally you want to eat maybe every 2-3 hours for ex: breakfast snack lunch snack dinner (do this as often as you can) and yes defintely more for breakfast.. you are waking up after your body has practically starved for 8 or so hours... i like omelettes very easy and you just toss in what you have.
  • kateslife
    Options
    i really am liking the breakfast ideas(:
    yeah kinda figured i should start making my own sandwich, will try that next week.
    veggies, fruits, nuts got it
  • kimmisatch
    Options
    Also think of the things your body needs (eg iron and good fats etc) and I agree with a bigger breakfast, if you find it hard to eat can you take it to work or whatever you do during the day? Im not a breakfast person so I take it to work in a container and eat it at my desk as soon as i get there.

If you are exercising a lot you probably need to up the calories eaten as it seems it's best to eat all or close to all your calories.

Good luck :)
  • tonybandero
    Options
    Interesting, a few people here are saying you should always eat back your exercise calories; for me, that's how I lose weight. Why is this so bad?
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    No where near enough food!!! At a quick estimate that looks below 800 calories a day - at 21yrs and 109lbs I would say that you're severely underweight (unless you are around 4ft tall). You MUST eat more or you will end up hospitalising yourself!

You haven't stated your height so nobody on this board can give even a close estimate as to whether the amount you're eating is correct. If you are around the 5ft mark your Basal Metabolic Rate (the minimum level of calories your body requires to function normally) is over 1,300 calories a day - almost double what you're currently eating. Anything below this level is definitely starving. The BMR doesn't even include the calories you need to move around/live/exercise.

I strongly advise you to increase the amount you eat. Even if you stood at 4ft then your BMR is STILL 1,256 calories bare minimum per day.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question , NO it does not sounds like a good days eating. I worry that you even had to ask the question to be honest....

Also 109lbs (7 and half stone) is only a suitable weight if you are under 5ft 2. I actually think it's a very low goal weight - I am 5ft 1 and that is too low for me...

Are you serious about getitng healthy? If so then you really need to rethink your methods.

** This is just my opinion of course!! **
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    In answer to your question , NO it does not sounds like a good days eating. I worry that you even had to ask the question to be honest....

Also 109lbs (7 and half stone) is only a suitable weight if you are under 5ft 2. I actually think it's a very low goal weight - I am 5ft 1 and that is too low for me...

Are you serious about getitng healthy? If so then you really need to rethink your methods.

** This is just my opinion of course!! **

I kind of agree with this ^^^, it's not a very high weight and you're not eating very much. I would be rethinking your entire diet. Good luck xx
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Interesting, a few people here are saying you should always eat back your exercise calories; for me, that's how I lose weight. Why is this so bad?

When you sign up for your MFP account it asks you how much you want to lose per week. That's how it knows to give you a certain calorie deficit, since you don't have much to lose 1/2 lb. per week is likely a good place for you. So MFP would set you at 250 calorie deficit or 500 if you're choosing 1 lb per week. This is how you're able to drop the weight and why it's important to eat enough food each day because you're already set up with the deficit, so eating back enough exercise calories is important. The weight loss will come from the deficit that is set up for you when you join.

Make sense? :flowerforyou:

EDITED to add: You've got some great suggestions on here and I agree. Breakfast is 'breaking fast', your body is fasting all night long and needs to have enough fuel to get you going in the a.m and through the morning. An apple is fine but also adding a protein so you have a protein/fat/carb combo is a better combo. It helps to do this at each snack (mini meal) and your other meals.

Whole wheat breads, whole wheat pasta, fresh fruit, plenty of dark green veggies, fresh whenever possible, lean meats, fish, chicken, red meat is fine but keep in mind the fat in it is higher. Basically what you want to do is add in all the food groups and make healthy choices at meals/snack. Nuts are a great protein to toss in salads, eat for a snack (portion controlled of course as with all the foods you chose to eat). You'll get the hang of it quickly as you meal plan, it often seems more complicated when starting out but it does get far easier when you get in a routine.

Preplanning your meals will really help relieve you of any stress on making choices in the moment, it helps so you don't eat junk because your body is too hungry. It makes life easier if you know ahead of time what your meals & snacks will look like for the day/week or however long you set up your food diary.

Tuna, chicken, eggs etc. are great protein for sandwiches, nuts and an apple work well for a snack. Glancing at other members food diaries can really help give you ideas. :o)

Never be afraid to ask for help here, always plenty of people willing to guide you and suggest healthy foods as you see from the other members on this thread.

By all means, don't stress out if you can help it, just make it a lifestyle and you'll drop the weight and create healthy habits and a healthier body!:wink:
  • kateslife
    Options
    That's a great suggestion, not a breakfast person, so may take it where i gotta go in the morning(:
    I am around 5'6-5'7 and am aware that i may be underweight. I am trying to gather healthy ways to boost my calories and then will slowly incline if i want/ need to gain weight. Will do on the bigger breakfasts! Today i had cheerios with 1% milk and a quaker chocolate chip chewy bar. I was full, so didn't add any fruit. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the fruit instead of the bar. Thanks for all the help you guys!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Your ID makes me think you like pancakes, so why not have some for breakfast but instead of with flour make them with oatbran..they are yummy, filling, easy and lots of fibre...you can have them with maple or agave syrup or with a fruit of your choice. They make a good dinner as well with something savoury or as a pudding.