Ok to work out when you're sick?

Options
Okay, so I"m not talking about a fever, lying in bed hacking, throwing up stomach virus kind of sick.......I am congested and my throat is sore. I caught my son's cold. But it's not knocking me out completely - I still have some energy. And I think I could work out today. Do you all think this is safe and/or okay? I think my biggest concern is that I will be huffing and puffing and having a harder time breathing during the cardio cuz my nose is congested. What are all your thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was always told by fitness people to work out while sick....that is sweats it out...,,whether that is correct or not I am not sure.....However, that being said, from my own personal experience I always feel better after a workout , even when sick and I never stay sick for long...

Best thing is give it a try...listen to your body...
    Good Luck
    Feel Better soon!
  • valleyrose99
    valleyrose99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was told it's okay if you have a cold, not the flu. Take it slow and see how you feel. Of course, if you can't breath, it's probably not a good idea :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think it's okay as long as you are cautious about it. If you start to feel yourself feel like you're having a hard time because you are sick, make sure to stop. Don't try to push through it if you aren;t feeling it.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm in favor of getting as much rest as possible when you're sick, even if it's just a cold. The more rest I get, the faster I recover. You can hit it again in a few days, much more healthy.

Feel better :flowerforyou: !
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Keep the tissues handy and do what you can. Also stay aware of if you're feeling "off." If you get light headed--quit. Make sure you drink extra water too. All the congestion is taking water from you and so will the work out. Good luck!
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's ok to do a light workout, just listen to your body and if you're feeling too overworked, slow it down. It'll get the blood flowing and boost your immune system to flush out the illness faster.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I"m not talking about a fever, lying in bed hacking, throwing up stomach virus kind of sick.......I am congested and my throat is sore. I caught my son's cold. But it's not knocking me out completely - I still have some energy. And I think I could work out today. Do you all think this is safe and/or okay? I think my biggest concern is that I will be huffing and puffing and having a harder time breathing during the cardio cuz my nose is congested. What are all your thoughts? Thanks!

Sweating it out is kind of a old wives tale, however, the concept is right. Exercise endorphins are natural painkillers - but they have other effects. Their effect is brought about by activating certain receptors and modifying the transmission of other chemicals that communicate between nerve cells. Endorphins are most commonly released during periods of pain and stress.

In addition to lowering pain, they also have several positive effects on mood and even boost the immune system. This has potential implications in management of precancerous cells and research is going on in this regard. Mood elevating effects are commonly seen after exercise and is the basis of the term 'runners high'. While the extent of endorphins' contribution to this is still a matter of debate among scientists, what is clear is that endorphins are found in higher concentration after bouts of exercise. Typically, half an hour of continuous, moderately intense exercise releases endorphins.

The best result though, when I'm sick, is that they help me sleep better. Sleeping off a cold is the best medicine in my personal experience, get your sweat on and go to bed!
  • Pippi8
    Pippi8 Posts: 12
    Options
    I hope you get to feeling better!. I've always heard that if the congestion is from the neck up, go ahead and work out. If it's below the neck, take a break. Rest and lots of water. Hang in there!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    just dont go to the gym,and feel better
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I hope you get to feeling better!. I've always heard that if the congestion is from the neck up, go ahead and work out. If it's below the neck, take a break. Rest and lots of water. Hang in there!

Agreed completely! Great advice!

Also, weigh in if you're working out in a public gym, maybe not passing your germs around. I only workout at home when feeling bad.
  • frogtox
    Options
    What I was going to say. :)