caloric burn for strength training

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate xcalorie burn for strength training? The site has it for cardio, but not strength training...

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    type in "strength training" in the cardio section for an estimate of calories burned.
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    Actually, it does. Under cardiovascular, you will find strength training although, I find it a little low.
  • pentafive
    Options
    The best (and only real way) to know is via hear rate monitor. You program in your age and current weight. Tell it when you start working out and then stop. It will tell you how much you burned.

With out it the answer can only be a loose guess. It is hard to tell how much person A did vs person B. You both may do the same workout but it will be different for both.

I use a bluetooth HRM to my android phone and track it that way.

Hope this helps!

-JD
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The best (and only real way) to know is via hear rate monitor. You program in your age and current weight. Tell it when you start working out and then stop. It will tell you how much you burned.

With out it the answer can only be a loose guess. It is hard to tell how much person A did vs person B. You both may do the same workout but it will be different for both.

I use a bluetooth HRM to my android phone and track it that way.

Hope this helps!

-JD

NO!. HRM's are not accurate at all for strength training, they are only meant to measure caloric burn during continuous exercise. With strength training you take so many breaks that a HRM will overestimate caloric burn 99% of the time.
  • pentafive
    Options
    NO!. HRM's are not accurate at all for strength training, they are only meant to measure caloric burn during continuous exercise. With strength training you take so many breaks that a HRM will overestimate caloric burn 99% of the time.

Not all HRM's are the same. I don't have any problem with overestimation - in fact I would say my current HRM UNDERestimates.

My 1st HRM (cheap Polar) didn't do a very good job and would state too many calories. My current one (Zephyr bluetooth HRM) is MUCH better.

-JD
  • clubenra
    Options
    My thanks to you all!