Discouraged--plateau

Options
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble taking five pounds off. Been very active, cycling and swimming, but can't run for now because of hip and glute tendonitis. Sports doc prescribed physical therapy and anti-inflammatories. Meantime, I'm eating right, staying at or just below my calorie goal, but unless I'm grossly underestimating my portions here (I try to measure when I can), not sure what gives. I've been doing more regular strength training, and feel like I'm looking pretty decent in the mirror, so not sure why my weight is staying the same (some days even up an extra pound or two). Could it be lean muscle mass? Or do I just need to get back to feeling hungry instead of snacking between meals? (my snacks are usually Greek yogurt or cottage cheese or nuts or peanut butter). Also pretty stressed with work these days, for what it's worth..

Staying with it, but it's tough sometimes.

Replies

• jaimelynn913
    Options
    It could def. be muscle mass. My trainer at my gym tells me that, unless you have 50+ lbs you want to lose, its very easy to maintain or even increase in weight, but shed inches. He says its much more positive to view yourself in the mirror and the way your clothes fit. (esp if your doing alot of strength training). If you see changes, or your clothes are fitting better...then thats what really matters, not so much the number on the scale.

And snacking between meals, esp if theyre small or healthy snacks is better than not eating at all between meals. It keeps your metabolism going.

Hope that helps! Good luck! :-)
  • beautiful4ever
    Options
    That happened to me too. I stayed at the same weight for a long time . Then when I finally started losing I lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks , after 5 weeks I gained a pound . I have only lost 9 pounds in 5 weeks.

However what I was told was I needed to actually eat more calories like 200 to 400 more per day for about 5 days to jump start my metabolism . I was eating 1000-1200 for 4 weeks . I ate 1400 to 1600 for five days and actually lost the one pound I gained plus anothe 1.5 pounds for a total of 2.5 pounds in five days .

I don't know if it will work for you. You can try it . I ate natural amond butter, walnuts, apples, fresh fruit and of course chicken , fish and lean beef with lots of fresh vegetables ect to add the extra 200 calories a day .
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    It could be your not eating enough!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good to hear. For weeks I've been really restricting my carbs. I haven't gone Atkins or anything (still getting carbs mainly from fruits/veggies/beans). I still eat bread or rice or whatever, but in tiny amounts, and maybe once a day. But I'm consistently well below my daily carb goal. So I'm thinking maybe for the amount of training I'm doing week to week (prepping for my first triathlon), I'm not doing my body much good. Just read that after a good workout, recovery fuel should be 4:1 carbs to protein. I've been doing the reverse. Just now starting to switch it up.

You guys are the best!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I'm having trouble taking five pounds off. . . . feel like I'm looking pretty decent in the mirror. . .

If you're happy with how you look in the mirror, why are you trying to lose 5 more lb.?
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Looking decent, but five fewer pounds would be closer to the defined body I want.