caffeine withdrawls

Options
I've tried to cut down on my caffeine intake....and I feel AWFUL! The last few days I've had a massive headache (i NEVER get headaches). You'd think I'd sleep better, but NOO, I've not slept more than 2 hours. I just feel so rundown.

How do you manage without caffeine? Does your body slowly get used to it? Because damn it I want my diet coke!!!!

**note to self: cutting caffeine makes you horrid

Replies

• angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I just gave up diet coke about a month ago.....I lived with a headache for over a week...but I knew I wanted it out of my life....so I was kinda a bear that week...but now my body does not miss it!!! I never, never thought I would ever say that.....because i woke up with a diet coke and went to bed with one!!!

So, I am sober and clean from diet coke for a little over a month!!!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I gave up "Diet Coke" 4 weeks today

It's not easy but the headaches and cravings go after a week, hang in there you can do it !
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    It will pass in another day or so. I quit coffee and caffeinated tea cold turkey after the first of the year. I recently went back to 1 cup of coffee or tea per day though.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

If the headache gets really bad, take one Excedrin; it has a small dose of caffeine in it, and will help get by. After a week you'll be fine.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I've tried this had the same huge head aches etc. Do it slowly, If you normally have 7 cups a day have 6 for a few and then 5 etc I have no Intention of stopping but im down to 2 cups a day which I have on a morning then I replace the rest with water. Which I previously did not drink, at all. going cold turkey is not good or healthy.
  • Bethy25
    Options
    MORE WATER!!!
  • james3302
    Options
    I went off caffeine and a headache for a little while. Now if I have a soft drink I get a migraine headache where I either go to sleep or puke. Nothing else helps.So I have to either keep caffeine in my system or none at all. Weird I know. I can drink tea and have chocolate with no problems. I can have sprite too so it's nothing with the carbonated water or anything. I wish I had the luxury of having a Coke/Dr Pepper every now and again. The closest I can get is Caffeince Free Coke.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I don't and I don't get why people feel the need to give it up.
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    Thank God it gets better....never really thought of it as an addiction before...that is until I wanted to crawl under my desk and cry like a baby today!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Right!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Before I started my healthy eating plan I was drinking 1-2 (sometimes 3) cans of coke zero and 3 cups of coffee.

I went with the cokes and reduced it gradually to one can per day, then quit.
    As for coffee, I'm not going to give that up entirely. I like it too much, and I don't have all the additives that I would have had with the coke. I am down to 2 cups, and will probably try to get down to 1.

Cold turkey didn't work for me, I tried it for 3 days last yea, (both coke and coffee) and was cranky and not very productive. But I found that if I reduced gradually, then my withdrawl was much more bearable, and I was able to get a LOT more work done.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Why I gave it up...........because I drank diet coke like water.....and did not drink water at all!!! I was over doing it!!
    I don't miss it.....and I have replaced it with water.......

Guess what......my teeth are whiter now...........and I love that more than I loved the diet coke!!!!

Your body does not need it to survive....so I don't feel bad about getting rid of it!!!!!!
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Mmmmm...Caffeine. My day without my coffee in the morning, and my Monster Lo-Carb at lunch...ahhhh, how my life would go down hill! Your body does a very good job of filtering out the "other stuff" and using these liquids just as it would water. And caffeine as a mild stimulant can work wonders on the fat burning. So, am I advocating a Diet Coke or Diet Dew diet...you know my thoughts...diets suck and don't work! But, moderation is key...it isn't going to kill you...
  • MrsDickie
    Options

1. weakened bones and risk of osteoperosis
    2. Dental Erosion
    3. The phosphoric acid in soft drink reacts with the hydrochloric acid of the stomach and affects its functions. When the stomach becomes ineffective, food remains undigested causing indigestion, gassiness or bloating.
    4. High caffeine content..restlessness, tension, insomnia, high blood pressure, gastrointestinal disturbance
    5. After you drink a diet soda aspartame breaks down into its starting components: phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol (that further converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.).

But those are just my personal reasons...I'm not saying anybody else should or shouldn't drink soda.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

1. weakened bones and risk of osteoperosis
    2. Dental Erosion
    3. The phosphoric acid in soft drink reacts with the hydrochloric acid of the stomach and affects its functions. When the stomach becomes ineffective, food remains undigested causing indigestion, gassiness or bloating.
    4. High caffeine content..restlessness, tension, insomnia, high blood pressure, gastrointestinal disturbance
    5. After you drink a diet soda aspartame breaks down into its starting components: phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol (that further converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.).

But those are just my personal reasons...I'm not saying anybody else should or shouldn't drink soda.
    Umm see what my comment was specifically. I said caffeine. I take caffeine capsules. I agree about the caffeine side effects, but I don't suffer from them.
  • MrsDickie
    Options
    aah....gotcha!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

There are some perfectly valid reasons to do so.

Some of it is people giving up diet soda, which is definitely not a bad thing.

I don't have a diet soda monkey on my back, but I do have a doctor's reccommendation to give it up or @ least cut back significantly (mostly related to female "stuff").

Others may have sleep issues, which can sometimes be related to caffeine intake.