New person frustrated - need help

Options
Hello. I've just started logging my calories in the middle of January. I was excited to lose 3 pounds in the first 2 weeks. But today, I am right back where I started. I eat under 1200 calories every day except for one or two cheat days. I exercise sporadically--maybe once or twice a week. I'm confused by the whole starvation mode thing and wonder if that's my problem? Help please!

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    well first of all you should be eating 1200 or more calories, not under. It really depends on your current weight and BMR. Starvation mode could be what you're dealing with. which means you're not getting enough calories to communicate to your body that there is no lack of food, and no reason to cling to every last calorie.
    When your body undergoes the stress of not having plentiful fuel, it tends to hang on to calories and gain more weight to store more energy since it believes that there must not be alot of food sources.
    On your exercise days be sure to eat more fuel, i usually eat about half or more of my exercise calories, on top of the 1200 that I already eat on stagnant days. The trick is finding that sweet spot, eating nothing doesnt generally do anything other than put your body through unnecessary stress.

Good luck!
  • pamcakes15
    Options
    You didn't mention what you are eating and if you are exercising. These both play a critical part in our weight loss. Nix all processed foods and stick with "whole foods" and do some form of exercise. You will see results. I cut out glutens in the past 2 wks and noticed a huge difference!
  • artyem
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I have one more question. What if, on one of my cheat days, I ate 1700 calories. The next day, I didn't feel hungry at all and only ate around 800. Wouldn't my body average that out?
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    well for sure eat 1200 calories a day starvation mode is basically that your body gets cut off on enough food so when it finally gets it it will store it because your body does not know when it will get more. Also 2 cheat days a week is not good because think about it if your body is in starvation mode then you cheat it will store it and also if you cheat 2 times a week thats like every 2 days. the only person your cheating is yourself. if i need a "cheat day" which usually dont happen only 1 a month but still stay with in your calories. a cheat day for me would consit of a cheat treat not a whole day and i treat myself to 1 regular size Milky Way mmmmm my favorite and to be consistant i have it at TOM. hope this helps not trying to be mean just truthfully answer your Question.

if you need friends add me i will be honest and thats because thats what i would want in return

good luck with your journey
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hello....welcome to MFP!
    You should be eating all of your 1200 calories.
    On days you exercise you will have addnt'l calories to eat...I generally eat some (depending on how my body feels)
    probably end up eating about half exercise calories earned along with my normal calories.The first bit you lost was prob water gain. Now that you are watching what you eat & exercising exercising your body may be in "shock". Keep eating right, exercise, drink water (something I myself need to remember) & watch your sodium intake also. You will see results but it may take a few weeks for your body to adjust. You may need to play around & find what works for you as everyone is different.
    Hope this helps some :smile:
    Good luck!!
  • MariSama44
    Options
    Keeping your calorie counts high one day and low another is okay to do every once and a while, and yes, it does even out. I usualy pull this trick when I'm trying to trip my body out of a plateau, but try to keep it mostly consistant or the jumps in calories wont effect you too much.

Pamcakes is very right in saying that you should also be watching what kinds of foods you eat, as processed foods and high carbs dont generally do well. if you eat carbs, eat them in the day time. and make sure you're getting whole foods: fruits veggies, lean protiens and the like.
  • MariSama44
    Options
    Oh!!! And make sure you DRINK YOUR WATER! This is probably a critical point that people dont always remember...I keep two one liter bottles filled and at the ready in my fridge at all times and I make sure I consume them (plus more!) every day.
  • gangstagirl625
    Options
    your next question answer is no it does not average out that how you put your body in starvation mode because when you only eat 800 which is really way to low your body thinks it is starving so then the next day you give it 1700 which is way to high which remember your body is in starvation mode so it gonna say mmmmmm food i best hold it its holding onto 900 un necessary calories and 3500 calories is one pound so think to yourself if this happens ever other day thats almost 3000 calories your body is holding onto. starvation mode is exactly how a bear hibernates for winter. i look at it as the same concept. i hope this helps.
  • gangstagirl625
    Options
    your next question answer is no it does not average out that how you put your body in starvation mode because when you only eat 800 which is really way to low your body thinks it is starving so then the next day you give it 1700 which is way to high which remember your body is in starvation mode so it gonna say mmmmmm food i best hold it its holding onto 900 un necessary calories and 3500 calories is one pound so think to yourself if this happens ever other day thats almost 3000 calories your body is holding onto. starvation mode is exactly how a bear hibernates for winter. i look at it as the same concept. i hope this helps.
  • MariSama44
    Options
    "Firstly, starvation mode is not something that kicks in automatically. If you skip a day of eating, your body is not going to freak out and drop your metabolism to a slow crawl. Starvation mode kicks in after continuous
    fasting or severe calorie restriction, usually longer than a week, but at least 3 days."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1574882/starvation_mode_dispelling_the_myths.html?cat=5

Its a good article, but remember..if your metabolism slows down, and then you suddenly go back to eating more calories or a normal level, it needs time to adjust. This is why people say you will gain weight if you eat too little..you slow your metabolism so much that when you eat normally, you eat above your basal metabolic rate since you were eating so low for such a long time. Therefore, you gain more weight when your body adjusts to normal calories. Its best to keep it at a manageable level where your metabolism can stay at a moderately fast rate, and you can stay full and satisfied at the same time.
  • artyem
    Options
    So toward the end of the day, I check how many calories I have left. If I have 120 remaining, I go get a snack? It seems weird to eat to lose, but I do it. The past two days I've eaten 100 calories OVER my limit of 1250 per day. This morning, I'm 2 lbs. down. Time will tell if it is water or hormones or ... if eating more really is less!