Gatorade

Options
So I know people get frustrated by this, but I just can't eat enough. No, not that I'm always wanting more, but that I feel full, eat when I want, and don't get enough calories for the day. I'm trying to think of ways to still make healthy choices, like veggies and fruits, and staying low on sodium and sugar. But I find that that's really hard to do. So I was thinking of replacing a few of my glasses of water with Gatorade. I know there's sugar in it, but it has calories, so maybe it'll help...

Any opinions on that, or ideas for boosting calories?

Just so you have an idea of how little I can eat, I couldn't finish 2 packets of oatmeal this morning at 7. Now it's 930 and I'm still not hungry at all...

Replies

• PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting to stay low on sodium I would try juice instead of Gatorade.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and Almonds.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more quantity of food, just make different food choices that are more calorie dense. This would include foods such as nuts, seeds, dehydrated fruit. You can replace 1 glass of water for 1 glass of juice. Add olive oil to soups and sauces. Add avocado to salads and sandwiches. Eat/drink higher fat versions of the foods you already eat such as milk, yogurt, cheese, salad dressing, etc. But nut butters on your menu, eat them with fruit or add to a smoothie.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few posts like this and they always baffle me that people are "full" and still have lots of calories to eat. I have NEVER had a problem getting in my calories. But thats just me, and every one is different. :smile:

cambells harvest selects makes some great soups... that are low in fat, and still taste good they have low sodium options too.

bananas are a higher calorie fruit, Avacados are Higher in calorie, Whole wheat bread is higher in calorie, you can put organic all natural honey on it that will bump your calories.
    Peanut butter is EXTREMELY high in calorie, and its good for you.
    I love egg and cheese omlets, two eggs and a quarter cup of cheese with a few veggies is right around 3-400 calories especially if you do sour cream on top.

Salad dressings are higher in calorie, Bolthouse makes some yogurt salad dressings that are lower in fat than regular salad dressings but are higher in calorie than the fat free or sugar free dressings.

Pita's with meat and cheese are good you can throw veggies in and they are REALLY healthy for you.
    EDIT: you can also buy pita flats, and use them as pizza crust. add all your favorite toppings and the calories end up being less than pizza as well as much healthier for you, but its still high calorie.

A subway sandwich is anywhere from 250-400 calories, depending on how you make it.

Nutritional bars, protein bars and such are higher in calorie but not very much food.

Protein shake or soy shake powder are higher in calorie especially if you make them with milk and throw an banana and some peaunut butter in them

there are also icecream and frozen yogurt options that are healthy and higher in calorie if you have the sugar allowance in your diet. (which I am guessing you do)

there are options you just have to look for them.

Hopefully this helped.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    you are going to be SO sick of me....but, you can always just ignore me, right? Gatorade is TERRIBLE for you!!!!!!!!!! It's not good for ANYBODY!!!!!! There is absolutely no redeeming quality about Gatorade. These suggestions are fantastic--higher fat choices of your dairy, nuts and dried fruit, avacados (tremendous way to add lots of cas and much nutrition), full fat soups, olive oil, if you bake use whole wheat flour but use eggs and flax seed and milk. Remember it's not only about adding calories, but getting them from food that is good for you.
    Preaching done for now....
  • jarcuri31
    jarcuri31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think that you arent eating the right foods, i am currently down 40 pounds and i can honestly say gatorade is the worst thing you can do, its literally like drinking liquid fat. You should consider eating things with less carbs, and more protein, i eat a lot of power bars which have almost 300 to 400 calories and i feel full! count your calories very carefully even though you may feel full, your body if not given enough calories is going to go into starvation mode and your not going to like your results. oatmeal is very starchy in the morning try different things like yogurt, fruits and veggies or maybe every some egg whites. My rule of thumb is eat every 2.5 to 3 hours. So i never feel hungry and im counting my calories every three hours. Liquid calories are the worst thing because they are already in liquid form and it takes less to digest them so its easier for us to absorb sugars, it harder for us to break down proteins.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I would also consider planning all your meals out at the begining of the day, log everything you are going to eat. that way you know whether or not you need to substitute for instance, some whole wheat pasta for that salad you were going to have for lunch.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I would also consider planning all your meals out at the begining of the day, log everything you are going to eat. that way you know whether or not you need to substitute for instance, some whole wheat pasta for that salad you were going to have for lunch.