Starting Week 2 of Couch to 5K today - have you done it?

Options
I'm starting week 2 tonight at the gym and I'd love to hear from other people who have done the program - can you really run a 5K full out with out stopping now? I've been so sedentary my whole life that I can't imagine my body being capable of that so I guess I'm looking for proof of other people achieving it.

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes!

I didn't follow the plan perfectly as intended, but it did get me to the level where I could run 3.1 miles without stopping. I've now completed two 5ks this year already!

Best of luck to you!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I've done the C25K!! I started Oct. 2010 and graduated just before New Years... and YES, I can run 3.1 miles without stopping. Believe me I was NOT a runner AT ALL. In gym class when in HS, I was always in the back of the pack (with the smokers and the kids with asthma). Good luck!
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    I'm in the middle of repeating Week 3 -- a major case of posterior shin splints set me back last week. I can tell you that as someone who was also sedentary practically from BIRTH, I never thought I'd even be able to run three minutes without stopping, but I CAN and I feel GOOD doing it. You'll be amazed how much improvement you see just from week to week.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I completed the program in January and ran a 5k race the same week. You will get there, as impossible as it seems right now. Even during the parts of that program that scared me, it was never so difficult that I couldn't do it. Now, I'm training for a half marathon. Today, I ran/jogged 40 minutes total. You'd be surprised at what you can do.
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the program, but I am such a chicken!! I want to start, but afraid my knee will give out. I just need to DO I!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I combined week one and two last week and was going to start week three this morning, but it was raining and I had no way to time my intervals so I just did a random walk/jog haha. hopefully it'll stop raining later so I can do week three properly, but it's supposed to rain all week :(
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have the program, but I am such a chicken!! I want to start, but afraid my knee will give out. I just need to DO I!

I was really afraid to try it too. I have a mtal rod and 8 screws in my left leg from a surgery I had a few years ago and I was just afraid my leg would... break? fall apart? who knows. We all have silly doubts about ourselves.

I started with week 1 (obviously) and I did it over and over and over again, always too scared to try week 2. But even just the exercise that week 1 provided was SO much better than anything I had done before. Also, I'm really short so whily my dad can jog at 5 mph or 5.5 mph, I always start out at 4.6. I'm still jogging, but I'm not killing myself, you know?

TRY IT! You won't be sorry. :)
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have started & stopped but I also want to run my first 5k, so maybe we can motivate each other.

:wink:
  • jamielr84
    Options
    I am 247lbs and on week one I thought I was going to die running for 60 seconds straight! I did week 4 day one last night and ran 5 minutes straight! I have been able to finish each day without walking at all on the running parts.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I completed the program in January and ran a 5k race the same week. You will get there, as impossible as it seems right now. Even during the parts of that program that scared me, it was never so difficult that I couldn't do it. Now, I'm training for a half marathon. Today, I ran/jogged 40 minutes total. You'd be surprised at what you can do.

Thank you so much! I want to be ready to run some of the 5K charity races in my town in the spring.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I just started this! Can't wait to be able to run for 30+ minutes!!
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started Week 1 this week...I've never been a runner before...so I'm looking forward to this challenge. The first session I did went really well surprisingly...but I've also been doing the 30 Day Shred for the last couple of weeks and I think that has seriously helped my stamina. I'm going to do Day 2 today of Week 1...I downloaded the App on my Iphone...it is awesome...tells me when to run and when to walk. It is great!
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    :wink:

I was really afraid to try it too. I have a mtal rod and 8 screws in my left leg from a surgery I had a few years ago and I was just afraid my leg would... break? fall apart? who knows. We all have silly doubts about ourselves.

I started with week 1 (obviously) and I did it over and over and over again, always too scared to try week 2. But even just the exercise that week 1 provided was SO much better than anything I had done before. Also, I'm really short so whily my dad can jog at 5 mph or 5.5 mph, I always start out at 4.6. I'm still jogging, but I'm not killing myself, you know?

TRY IT! You won't be sorry. :)

I am going to be brave and try it soon!! Thanks for the motivation & inspiration. Please ADD me so that I can keep up with your progress. I know this is a lame excuse, but I want to lose another 10lbs and then begin the new journey!!