Women on Biggest Losers

Options
I just thought of something while watching the "small" women on the black team pull big numbers during last night's weigh-in. How is that they consistently lose pounds each week? What about their periods? It's almost like that they've managed to manipulate their bodies to skip the pre-menstrual bloat and temporary weight gain. Just wondering because I've noticed lots of women on MFP report that they gain 1-4 lbs during their TOM and I'm a little stressed out over my 1 lb gain.

Replies

• cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    maybe there bodies are in shock and their periods have stopped?? I don't know! don't stress over a lb you gain and lose more than that over the course of the day and most of the time its just water retention x
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a lot of it has to do with what food is available to them. I do have bloat issues, but I have to be honest with myself -- that's not the main reason for my gains during my TOM! It's grabbing stupid, sugary, salty snacks.

I doubt they have chocolate chips, marshmallows, etc. on hand in the Biggest Loser pantry. =)
  • lelegrev
    Options
    I have a feeling that some of them either a. don't get their periods or b. it's very light and doesn't come with all the full blown "symptoms" of a period. Think about it, they are making such a drastic change. All of a sudden the crap food stops filling them up and they are exercising a whole lot all day every day. That kind of drastic change will most definitely alter their period.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    they dehydrate themselves before weigh in. it's reality tv and they need big numbers. and many times weigh ins are 2 weeks apart not one. i've seen alison accidentally say different amount of times of contestants being on the ranch before in last season.

check out what this contestant had to say. and yes she was rather rude throughout her season, but still she had an eating disorder now.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

not going to lie but i continue to watch this anyway. oh reality tv.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    they sweat out there bloat, before weighing in alot of them make them selves sweat so they get a higher number, since the pounds you gain during you period is just water sweating it out would get rid of the extra water weight
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I thiink they totally work out hard enough and watch their eating closely that this does not become an issue.

I just love this show----it is what inspired me to gain control of my health.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    you're menstrual cycle can be altered when working out excessively or having a BF percentage lower than 17 or 18% (approx)
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    The difference is they have a trainer work them out 3-4 hours a day. Most of us spend around 1 hour.... enough to burn some calories but not enough to make it a whole days worth. Those people probably use around 2000 calories in exercise a day. It's just impractical and probably not the healthiest way to do it.

Anyways, girls who are over-active lose their peroids. I doubt they get them at all or at least very light.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options
    The difference is they have a trainer work them out 3-4 hours a day. Most of us spend around 1 hour.... enough to burn some calories but not enough to make it a whole days worth. Those people probably use around 2000 calories in exercise a day. It's just impractical and probably not the healthiest way to do it.

Anyways, girls who are over-active lose their peroids. I doubt they get them at all or at least very light.

and then to add working out with the trainers they usually go do more cardio in the evening. i remember last season or the one before it was their "homework" to go on a treadmill or elliptical
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    You would lose massive amounts of body fat, if you had personal nutritionists monitering your weightloss, and personal trainers telling you what to do and how to work out 3-4 hours a day,

Those Women are SOOO over weight that I doubt that they lose thier period for a while. You have to have a ridiculous Amount of working out, and I know I dont' lose mine and I will work out for almost three hours sometimes.

It really depends mostly on your Body fat percentage.

I haven't found that show nearly as inspiring as other, simply because if CBS or what ever tv stations was paying millions for me to have personal help that I could lose tons of weight too. Heck I would be in the best shape of my life.
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser and I'm sure that they have times where they don't want to work out when it's their TOM. I have to say that since I have started on MFP I have had 2 periods and I just work through them. If you use that as an excuse to stop doing your normal routine then yes you could gain weight, but if you truely just work through it you can make it a loss week just like the rest of the time. Everyone on here are going through life changing times right now and you just have to find out what is the best way for you. A 1 pound gain this week will just have to motivate you for a 2 or 3 pound for next week. Keep focus on why you are doing this and you will for sure make it to your goal.

Good luck this week and everyday. You will make your goal, I have faith in you!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    they dehydrate themselves before weigh in. it's reality tv and they need big numbers. and many times weigh ins are 2 weeks apart not one. i've seen alison accidentally say different amount of times of contestants being on the ranch before in last season.

check out what this contestant had to say. and yes she was rather rude throughout her season, but still she had an eating disorder now.

http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

Thank you for this link. Last night I was telling my son when they told Arthur he couldn't cook his fish in olive oil that something was wrong. It was no way with the amount of calories they should be consuming that a tablespoon of olive oil was going to do him any harm. I use olive oil to up my calorie intake.
  • crystal_sapphire
    Options

Thank you for this link. Last night I was telling my son when they told Arthur he couldn't cook his fish in olive oil that something was wrong. It was no way with the amount of calories they should be consuming that a tablespoon of olive oil was going to do him any harm. I use olive oil to up my calorie intake.

ikr?? what the hell. olive oil is good fat. healthy fat that you need. i was baffled.

but hey he pulled a huge number for once so that's all that mattered :indifferent:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Same here...