Any beginners helpful meal plans out there

nadineb5
nadineb5 Posts: 7
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,

I am new and having a hard time starting. My info states I should be eating 1420 calories. Does anyone have any good suggestions for meal plans or places to find meal plans. I would sooooo appreciate it.

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    What do you mean by meal plans? are you wanting a list of recipes to follow for each day? or an actual location?
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Here's a version of what I usually send people just starting out:

Ok , so like I said, it's all about planning. You won't feel anywhere near as hungry if you know mentally your next meal/snack is right around the corner (some people say it "fuels your metabolism" but that sounds pseudo-sciencey to me, I just know the reassurance that I'm eating and can reach for something is a HUGE part of feeling full). So at 1420 your typical calorie breakdown should look like this (and remember, this isn't medical or in any way universal, it's just how I've managed to get through my days. As you get used to it, try playing around to find what suits your appetite best.)

Breakfast: 250- 350 cals
    Lunch:300-500 cals
    Dinner: 500-600 cals
    Snacks(combined): 120-550

Ok- so these arent exact, but throughout the day, this will help you gauge if you are on track (rather than inadvertantly reserving calories for dinner).

So here is what I call my "food skeleton"
    Water:
    1 glass before eating anything
    2 glasses right when I get to work
    1 glass before/with lunch
    1 glass right after lunch
    2 glasses over the rest of the afternoon
    1 glass when I get home
    Breakfast: Something protein filled- I like eggs with veggies, or pb on cinnamon rasin toast (with some berries if they are in season). I also like to have coffee (2 tsp sugar, 1/4c skim- also if you add cinnamon into the grounds, it add more flavor, making the need for sugar/cream less intense)
    Mid morning snack- Veggie with Hummus/Ranch Dressing or Greek Yogurt (I <3 Chobani Honey)
    Lunch: Sandwich, Veggie Wrap, Grilled Chick Salad, or soup with Fruit (so good for getting over the afternoon sleepies) Since it's winter, I buy a fruit juice called Ralph and Charlies and have 1/2C with lunch instead- V8 Splash is similar
    Afternoon snack- Opposite of whatever you had in the morning- Veggie with Hummus or Greek Yogurt (I <3 Chobani Honey)
    Dinner: 3-4 oz of meat/fish, 2 oz of grain, 1-2 veggie servings
    After dinner treat: Chocolate milk or something fun but little- 1/2 godiva raspberry bar & freeze the rest

THE DILLY ON SNACKING ALL DAY: The snacks are interchangeable- The greek yogurt is really filling, so I have it early if I'm hungry but if I'm not, I keep it til the afternoon so I'm full when I get home. Also instead of the yogurt sometimes I have a Luna bar or Cliff bar, but again, something protein-y is important during the day, it quiets the cravings. You have room for 1-2 more snacks than I usually have (as you have more cals per day) so maybe bring an extra fruit and vegetable, or maybe some nuts you like- i would recommend unsalted. Also I would recommend having what I've heard called an "in case". It's a snack you have on hand for if you get hungry- I carry a bag of apricots and almonds (I love the combo!). So the night before (even when I stay home) I pack my lunch. When you do this, mentally plan when you will eat each piece. Idk when you wake up or what your day is like, but pick a time for each. Try to make it to that time before you eat. Enjoy eating it (even if you are working or playing with the kids or anything, take just a couple seconds to realize you LIKE what you are eating). For now you should proly do Breakfast, snack, snack, Lunch, snack, snack(?) dinner, snack if you didn't have the one before dinner.

DINNER- You said you do "regualr" dinners with the fam. I just wanted to include dinner ideas that you can still make work for you. I have a bf who dislikes many veggies and when I go home to my fam they hate "healthy food". So I make them my healthy food and just give them all slightly bigger portions of meat- I eat 3-4 oz, I serve them about 6 (which you will be eating when you reach your goal weight). Here are some of my go-to recipies:
    Lemon Seafood Pasta: I buy seafood salad at the deli, toss it in a frying pan with soy sauce and ginger and put over pasta. nom nom nom

Tilapia, Spinach and Rice- cook fish in pam, and boil rice (put spinach in steamer over rice last 5 min) put all on plate and put a tbsp of pesto sauce over it

Quick Lemon Chicken/Taco Chicken - http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/quick-lemon-chicken-with-rice.aspx
    I also use this same recipe and mix in taco seasoning instead of lemon juice, and frozen peas instead of sliced carrots to make taco chicken bowls also

Chicken parm- http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipe/chicken-spinach-parm.aspx

I also make my own french fries for burgers/grilled chick sandwich nights: Sliced potato, 1 tsp olive oil, and Jerk Seasoning.

Mostly with dinner tho, I come home, throw a veggie in the oven an make up the rest based on what's left in my fridge. As often as not I'm at tom's or we're at Chipotle or something. Other ideas for breakfast lunch and dinner (where I pulled this skeleton from really, and a couple of the recipies) http://recipes.womenshealthmag.com/Recipes/SearchResults.aspx?CriteriaIds=12_10
  • Maybe an example of a week of meal plans that someone who is successful in losing weight follows, like a food journal just so I can see what I should be including in my meals.
  • kimmerroze
    Here's a version of what I usually send people just starting out:

Ok , so like I said, it's all about planning. You won't feel anywhere near as hungry if you know mentally your next meal/snack is right around the corner (some people say it "fuels your metabolism" but that sounds pseudo-sciencey to me, I just know the reassurance that I'm eating and can reach for something is a HUGE part of feeling full). So at 1420 your typical calorie breakdown should look like this (and remember, this isn't medical or in any way universal, it's just how I've managed to get through my days. As you get used to it, try playing around to find what suits your appetite best.)

Breakfast: 250- 350 cals
    Lunch:300-500 cals
    Dinner: 500-600 cals
    Snacks(combined): 120-550

Ok- so these arent exact, but throughout the day, this will help you gauge if you are on track (rather than inadvertantly reserving calories for dinner).

So here is what I call my "food skeleton"
    Water:
    1 glass before eating anything
    2 glasses right when I get to work
    1 glass before/with lunch
    1 glass right after lunch
    2 glasses over the rest of the afternoon
    1 glass when I get home

So I think this is pretty close, except most nutritionists would say that the biggest meal of the day should be breakfast. it gets your metabolism going. Dinner is suppose to be your smallest meal. keep that in mind as you are planning your meals.

I think my food journal is open to the public. you could check mine. I am in no means perfect tho. and my stuff is pretty much grab and go stuff. I am on the run A LOT!
  • Thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    As I said- not perfect, just what gets me through. I've found if I eat too much at breakfast I feel sick until 10:30 and then am starving until lunch. So yea, feel free to tweak it as makes sense to you!
  • Friend me and check out my diary. Most people here don't eat enough protein. You don't need 170g+, but you do probably need ~110g.
  • Friend me and check out my diary. Most people here don't eat enough protein. You don't need 170g+, but you do probably need ~110g.

So basically you plan your day and what you are going to eat right away correct?
  • kimmerroze
    Friend me and check out my diary. Most people here don't eat enough protein. You don't need 170g+, but you do probably need ~110g.

So basically you plan your day and what you are going to eat right away correct?

This is what I do too. and then I make variations to it as they come.
This discussion has been closed.