Business Dinner Tonight

Options
I have a business dinner tonight and was wondering how bad it would be if I had filet mignon and a baked potato (just plain, no butter or salt). I know when eating out the way foods are prepared always make them much higher in calories, fat, and carbs than if I prepared at home. I have been craving a steak for awhile and thought this would be the perfect excuse to induldge just a little :) In general, I don't eat much red meat at all.

Do you think I should make a healthier choice?

Here is the menu for the restaurant. Would love to hear your feedback and suggestions.

http://www.isaacnewtons.com/menu.html

Replies

• patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A baked potato, with nothing on it, is a very healthy food. yes, it has carbs but you do NEED carbs, people. (There's an aritcle about a guy who ate about 20 potatoes a day, and nothing else, and after a month he was perfectly healthy and lost lots of weight)
    Anyway, filet mignons are one of the leaner cuts of meat.
    So, essentially, I would say a filet & baked potato are not unhealthy options at all. Lots of protein and good carbs.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The filet is a great choice. Very low in calories. Potato is decent too, but I know I couldn't eat it 'bare'! :) Gotta have me a lttle butter on that sucker. ;)

enjoy your dinner and dont sweat it too much. Might want to consider just water over a glass of wine to 'save' those calories... :)
  • lauriedav
    lauriedav Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would go for it because it is a lean cut of meat. Also the baked potato is not bad if you don't smother it in butter etc. Just do not do it again for a long time. My doctor say's not to deprive myself... just do not eat like that every week or month. Just once in a while is fine.
    Good luck and enjoy your dinner. remember to drink plenty of water too. It will help fill you up.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    How many calories would you estimate are in a piece of filet mignon? I'm wondering if I should take half of my meal home. The menu doesn't show the number of ounces as so many other restaurants do.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    The filet mignon looks like one of the best choices from that menu. The salmon sounds good too ( I am a HUGE salmon fan!). If you watch it during the day, you should be fine for dinner!
  • shariann3
    Options
    You wont know calories unless you know portion size; you can use your the "deck of cards" trick to estimate 4 oz ( a piece of meat the size of a deck of cards equals about 4 oz). Also, I would totally use just a pat of butter or something for the potatoe! Unless you wanted to put some of that zero calorie "butter spray" (I cant believe its not butter OR smart balance) in your purse and use that! Enjoy yourself:)
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One suggestion is to get a salad as an starter to fill you up a little and then only eat half your entree - restaurant portions tend to be very large. Also ask for any sauce that comes with the steak on the side, many sauces are very high in calories, fat and sodium.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    According to the food database, filet seems to average about 70 calories per ounce. My guess is that you'll get a 6 ounce cut at dinner - 420 calories. Start with a salad, eat half the meat and tater, and have lunch for tomorrow!

And again, DON'T SWEAT IT SO MUCH! One 'yummy' dinner is not a dieter's downfall... :)
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. A lot of great suggestions. Enjoy and take your time. If you have anything left then take it home. If you ate it all then don't worry about it. If you like sweet potatoes they are a great alternative and have a better taste w/o the butter.