Do you work out

Options
when you are sick, I skipped the gym yesterday and today.... I didnt work out at all yesterday my whole body hurt, I am going to try and do the shred tonight.... I end up feeling like I've failed myself of that I'm falling off the wagon, i could push myself to the gym and cough like a mad woman but I don't want to do that.... so do you work out when you are sick?

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    IMO your body needs rest. It helps conserve your body to help your immune syste fight off whatever bug you've got.
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's smart to take a few days off when sick-definitely don't go to the gym for everyone else's sake! :) You need to rest to recover, and then you'll feel much more motivated to work out when you do feel better.
  • Happytobealive
    Options
    That would depend on how sick I am. Last Tuesday I was not feeling so good, but I pushed myself to go to my Zumba class. While I was unable to move as fast as I typically would I still completed the class and when all was said and done, I was glad I went. Hope you feel better soon and just listen to your body it knows what you can and can't do.
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    rest, you're body needs it or do something light at home like pilates or light-weight lifting
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    When I'm sick, I give my body the rest that it needs. Honor your body and do the same :)

Charmagne
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I still do it - I don't go to the gym however. I don't want to pass my germs around, so I'll workout at home. I find that even working out at 50% is still better than losing momentum in my plan. just do it.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    SOMETHING is always better than nothing. There are days when I'm exhausted or just flat (or maybe sick) and I can't burn mega cal's so I do something at home, go for a walk... It still counts and I usualyl feel better for it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I will with a head cold, but not a chest cold. some exercise is a great way to clear your sinuses.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I feel. if I have a fever or feel really ill, I don't and give myself permission to be ok with that. if I have a cold or just a little bad, I make a deal with myself. I go, but I might do a less intense workout. (like walk on the tread instead of run). I usually start to feel a bit better as I walk and will run for a few minutes. The point is this is a life long change. So you have to have times when it is ok to take a break. if I "let" myself do it for a day, I promise myself I will go the next day. I just don't want the "rest" to become the habit again.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to the gym, just so I don't infect others. Personally, I think it is super rude when sick people go out in public. However, I would workout if I was sick. Getting warm creates a fake "fever" and can help your body fight off the bug. Now, if you already have a fever, or if you are so sick that you can't move, clearly lay in bed and rest. But if you're just sniffling and coughing, it might do some good. My favorite is going for a hike. Fresh air, exercise, and beautiful scenery. It's very healing physically and mentally.
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Depending on how sick i am. I will usually wait until i feel better though, otherwise your immune system doesn't have time to recover properly. If you feel like you need to exercise maybe just do some light stretches and maybe some yoga.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on what kind of sick. If I have a cold and a mild cough, I still go to yoga. If I am suffering from a stomach bug, I stay home. If I have a severe respiratory ailment (like pneumonia) I stay home and rest.
  • ropedancer
    Options
    Same as what others have said. It depends on how sick you are.

If I'm just a little sick (runny nose for example), I'll still work out. But if I'm feeling the least bit nauseated, I'm not moving. I hate throwing up so much. I also do all of my workouts at home so I don't have to worry about infecting people.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No way! If i'm not well then i dont work out!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    read your body. you have to listen to your body or you will not succeed
    I would even venture to say to take2 days after you are feeling better.

If I was you I would keep eating clean and get back on the workout horse monday

relappses can be worse then the original cold
  • JcRenee
    Options
    It depends on how I feel, but I tend to take it easy, you don't want to over do it and make your self more sick. I will do something less strenuous, like yoga or weight lifting. You don't want to wear your body out, it needs rest.
  • Upsy_Daisy
    Upsy_Daisy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Not this past week, normally I go swimmng twice a week during my lunch break from work. Last week I did thinking it would help clear it up my cold but I could just not shake it off. So decided to lay off going this week and just do my usual walks instead. Touch wood today my cold/chest is a lot better but I have missed going, think more for the relaxation side of it !
    Thanks Rachel
  • dalbers
    Options
    When I have a cold I limit myself to steady state cardio at about 7 out of 10 for effort. I find it helps blow the cold out of me.

When I have the flu, I do total rest.

Having said that, I am quite prone to colds and flu. VERY VERY prone, due to asthma, but for the past 18 months have taken vitamin D daily and have not been sick once despite moving in with a mom and 2 kids who bring home colds and flus constantly.