Orange Juice Problem

Options
Any suggestions for an alternative to orange juice. I have heard it is bad to drink, but I don't drink coffee so I usually do one cup of Simply orange juice because I need some flavor after I wake up. Are there any healthy O.J. brands or other jucies that are better for you? Thankyou.

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tomato juice is tasty and only about 40 cals for 120ml
  • Jess116
    Jess116 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tropicana 50 isn't bad. And of course, it only has 50 calories. :)
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The only reason OJ is bad because of the sugar.

Try the banana strawberry orange crystal light :)<3
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You're always better off to have an orange and a glass of water. You don't get the fibre or most of the other nutrients in a glass of OJ that you get in a whole fruit.

Failing that, if I just can't stand the idea of plain water for breakfast, I put in a shot of OJ in a big glass of water. Watered down OJ has a lot fewer calories and sugar.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They have low sugar and added calcium to some OJ's. Not sure why those would be bad for you.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It is not bad to drink 100% juice, its just not as good as eating whole fruits. If your calorie plan allows for it, I say go for the 1 Cup of juice daily. If you need fewer calories, Tropica makes a juice that is 50% less calories than OJ, but I'm not sure what they put in it to make up for that...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    OJ is loaded with sugar, it will make your blood sugar spike and fall quickly, leading to hunger and cravings. Why not drink water or flavored water along with your healthy breakfast consisting of a balance between protein and carbs.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on orange juice, but if simply orange is all natural and JUST oranges, then it is good sugar. I wouldn't worry about it too much. as long as your diet the rest of the day doesn't have tons of sugar in it.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    They have low sugar and added calcium to some OJ's. Not sure why those would be bad for you.

Because it is not beneficial to drink your calories or your fruit for that matter.

You missing out on vital fiber when you drink the juice and not eating the whole fruit or vegetable.
  • kimmerroze
    Options

Because it is not beneficial to drink your calories or your fruit for that matter.

You missing out on vital fiber when you drink the juice and not eating the whole fruit or vegetable.

but if you happen to be like me, I eat tons of fiber, then the fiber isn't really necessary. its all in how you balance your diet.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    whether it is good sugar or bad sugar, it will still cause your blood sugar to spike and crash----still giving us that hungry feeling and have cravings.
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    V8 options are great. The v-fusion tastes fruity and has 50 calories per 8 oz's and 2 grams fiber and I love the low sodium spicy v8 in the morning...and in the evening with a little vodka for a "healthier" bloody mary ;)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I just eat an orange with my breakfast instead. It gives me the taste I crave and is more filling with less calories.

Someone also once told me that citrus in the morning is very good for waking up your metabolism... I can't back that up but the taste is good!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

but if you happen to be like me, I eat tons of fiber, then the fiber isn't really necessary. its all in how you balance your diet.

I eat a lot of fiber also, you can never have "too much" fiber. And the fiber helps to slow down the absorption rate of the sugar in the fruit, therefore the impact on the blood sugar levels and the body having to secrete insulin to combat the sugar rush.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Just looked up the label information there is nothing except pure orange juice in SIMPLY ORANGE. it has 22 grams of sugar. that is roughly 5 and a 1/4 teaspoons of sugar.

women can have up to 6 teaspoons of sugar per day. men can have up to 9. so really you are wiping out your sugar for the day. but its up to you.;... if you really really love orange juice, and cant part with it. just know that you need to eat a really low sugar diet.
  • emilyeburke
    Options
    Is that really you in that picture? Looks like you don't have anything to worry about.
  • SushiPunk
    SushiPunk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. Sounds like eating an orange and having water is the best option... and yes that's me in the pic.