Cycling?????

Options
I have been trying to start running but apparently my joints are shot from having children. The doctor suggested that I try cycling instead. I haved a stationary bike that I'm pretty sure is at least 50 years old. Any suggestions on how to get started? Any other cyclists out there?

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Options
    You betcha!

If you want to train indoors... I would recommend a spin bike (250-1000bucks lol) OR a gym membership. Spinning is an EXCELLENENT cardio. I LOVE IT! I also ride my bike spring and summer recreationaly.
    If you want to train outdoors, find some paved trails in the area or heck, the road..... just be sure to learn the best practices for road safety and hit the pavement! Spin classes are a great way to get you used to riding and are a great burn!
    have fun!!!
  • frogtox
    Options
    Well, first I wouldn't totally give up on running. Most people can run... you just might have to build up more slowly. What joints are hurting? Who told you it was from having kids?

I also cycle (triathlons, actually) and think it's great exercise. Spin bikes are good, but like the PP mentioned they're pricey. If you have a regular bike, a trainer is an option. It's just a gadget you hook to your back tire that allows you to pedal in place with your existing bike. Otherwise, if your old bike works, then go with it. You can get an awesome workout by standing while pedaling, alternating low and high resistance... everything you do on a spin bike you can do (to a degree) on a stationary bike.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Definitely join a gym and do a cycle/spin class. Do at least 3 classes. Your butt will be sore the first couple of times. I also have a spin bike at home that I got off of craigs list.
  • BACKDROPsilhouette
    Options
    This is what I use to cycle with - http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.F09031
    Sometimes I just don't feel like running, so as shown in the video you can use it to "cycle". While on my laptop or watching Television, I just turn the resistance up and cycle. It burns a lot of calories and even the running isn't hard on your joints. You can use the resistance bands for extra calorie burning as well.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you have good bike paths near you, I definitely recommend getting a good bike (from a bike store, not wal mart style), and hitting the road! I broke through my plateau thanks to my new bike! Being outdoors in the fresh air with just me, my bike and my iPod has been amazing! I am even sleeping better from all the fresh air.

We have lots of stickers around here that pop the tires, so I paid the bike store to give me tire liners and thicker tires with goo in them, etc. I also bought a much softer seat with springs and a mileage tracker. I love it!!!!

My stationary bike, now hold clothes.... LOL

Good biking!
    - Lisa
  • centralvalgal
    centralvalgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love riding my mountain bike because of the versatility. I live in a rural area so I can go from road, dirt, sand, and rocks and not feel like I am destroying my bike. I have ridden a friends beach cruiser and I did not care for that. I like being able to change gears. I rode a Trek for about 12 years and I really got my money out of it. Now I have a Cannondale and I love that also. It was worth it to me to spend more on my bike just because it is so much smoother to ride than a cheaper bike. But if cheaper is what you can afford that is what I would do if it meant the differences between bike and no bike. I also have a schwinn stationary that is very quiet so I can watch TV or carry on a conversation with my kid about homework while I ride. Good luck on your choices.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I wouldn't know what to do without my baby staring at me daily, begging to be ridden! It has been one of the main catalysts for my transformation back to fitness. Nothing can give me the low-impact burn like this machine. Typical Spring-Fall weekend rides are in the 2500-4000+ calorie burn range!!!

fcc2283f.jpg
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Well, first I wouldn't totally give up on running. Most people can run... you just might have to build up more slowly. What joints are hurting? Who told you it was from having kids?

I also cycle (triathlons, actually) and think it's great exercise. Spin bikes are good, but like the PP mentioned they're pricey. If you have a regular bike, a trainer is an option. It's just a gadget you hook to your back tire that allows you to pedal in place with your existing bike. Otherwise, if your old bike works, then go with it. You can get an awesome workout by standing while pedaling, alternating low and high resistance... everything you do on a spin bike you can do (to a degree) on a stationary bike.

I tried doing the couch to 5k program back in the fall but had to stop because of knee surgery to have a lump removed (not child related). I started it again a few weeks back but I hurt my ankle last week. When I went to the ortho dr. he said my xrays showed that the alignment in my feet is off, most likely due to the joints and ligament loosening up during pregnancy. He did say I could try running in a few weeks after my ankle heals, but that I should restrict it to occasional rather than my normal workout.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Being outdoors in the fresh air with just me, my bike and my iPod has been amazing!

That's how I ride....I am definitely not a group ride kind of person.
  • deandp371
    Options
    Also, a good elliptical trainer can give you the feeling of running to a large extent with less impact. Keep your eye out for sales and they can be found used pretty often - unless you have a gym membership!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Only doing 2 spin classes a week with only taking pop out of my diet I lost 70 lbs in 7 months. You don't need to get a gym membership, but it helps keep you motivated, it's a lot more fun, and all the routines are made for you.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I love cycling outdoors! It helps me relax and ride the day away all while getting a great workout!! I ride 4-5 times per week when the weather permits. There's nothing like getting lost in a good 50-60 mile bike ride I plan to do my first century this year! There is a cycling club on here with people from all over who do all types of riding.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Being outdoors in the fresh air with just me, my bike and my iPod has been amazing!

it is amazing!! :-D
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    Pssst...ditch the ipod when riding...make us all safer.

• iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    This is what I use to cycle with - http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.F09031
    Sometimes I just don't feel like running, so as shown in the video you can use it to "cycle". While on my laptop or watching Television, I just turn the resistance up and cycle. It burns a lot of calories and even the running isn't hard on your joints. You can use the resistance bands for extra calorie burning as well.
    Hey, that's neat and looks versatile. Wish I had room under my desk at work (barely enough for my feet as it is). How hard is it to maintain balance on that without the fixed handle bars? I have trouble sometimes using a regular eliptical machine and could just see myself falling off frequently lol
  • BACKDROPsilhouette
    Options
    Hey, that's neat and looks versatile. Wish I had room under my desk at work (barely enough for my feet as it is). How hard is it to maintain balance on that without the fixed handle bars? I have trouble sometimes using a regular eliptical machine and could just see myself falling off frequently lol
    It takes some getting used to, but if you're worried about balance you can hold onto the resistance bands. You don't have to do anything with them, but just holding onto them helps with your balance! I find that very helpful as I am a naturally clumsy and unbalanced person.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Pssst...ditch the ipod when riding...make us all safer.

To be more specific....i ride county trails with my man and I do not ever have headphones in my ears! Excellent point! Just saying the fresh air and ride are fabulous!
  • scmajm22
    scmajm22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cycling is awesome. I recently had an injury and could no longer run. I resisted the bike for a long time but now it is my best friend. You can definately get a GREAT workout on a bike, and I agree that the elliptical is also great on the joints. They are the only 2 pieces of cardio equipment I use.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies and advice. Money is tight right now (isn't it everywhere). I don't have a regular bike, just the stationarey bike that I inherited from my grandmother. I did 2 rides at 15 minutes each yesterday. i got on this morning and my bum was sore. I guess that I'll get used to that?
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Yup, you will get used to it! :-D keep it up!