Subway? :)

Options
2»

Replies

• getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    There is literally a subway downstairs at my job - I don't even have to go outside so it's really convenient. I thought I was eating pretty healthy but realized the sodium content and it now turns me off. I rather make my own subs/sandwich where I can control the contents. Otherwise you can't go wrong with a good salad bar at the grocery store or if you have a cafeteria if you need other eating out options.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but if you are in a pinch and you are trying to avoid eating too much bread, after you sit down with your sub, open it up and shell out 1/2 the bread. I don't do this with my subway, but if we are out and about and eating something with a hotdog or hamburger bun, I always shell them out and probably reduce at least 30-50% of my calorie intake off the bread. When I made homemade subs for my family, I also shell out the thickness of the bread and no one honestly knows the difference. Yet, a major reduction in calories!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I think its more fast food! I do eat there, but like others said the sodium is killer, and i never feel that satisfied..say you get a turkey footlong on wheat, no cheese no mayo...your looking at 600 calories, in a very simple sandwich!!
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My go to fast food places for healthy lunches are only Subway, Panera, or Chick-Fil-A. All Subways have a nutritional information flyer - pick one up when you go & you can read the fine print! I normally stick with the Oven Roasted Chicken Breast as it has the least amount of sodium (other than the Veggie Delight of course). 750 mg sodium for ORCB & 320 cals. VD has 410 mg sodium & 230 cals.

If you go for the oven roasted chicken salad it is only 130 calories & 280 mg sodium! I do not add dressing, croutons, or cheese - just use VINEGAR ONLY!

Every sandwich I order has no cheese, no mayo. I get the majority of the veggies, occasionally I will add yellow mustard - but normally just vinegar, black pepper & oregano. DE-LISH!
  • I like that everyone commented on the sodium content bc I have seemed to notice that everyday that I eat subway I always go over my allotted sodium intake and I could never figure out why. I usually get a 6 in turkey breast on wheat with lite mayo swiss cheese and pickles. Im assuming this is a pretty healthy option?