On insulin and at a plateau

Losing2Live69
Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I am getting so frustrated! I am on 4 insulin injections a day, one with each meal and one at bedtime. I have heard that being on insulin can make your body hold on to weight. I have been walking 2 miles a day and doing strength training for an hour a day. I eat 1200 calories or less a day. My dietician had me set my carbs at 120 to maintain my blood sugars while taking insulin. If I limit my carbs too much my sugars bottom out. I haven't lost any weight in 2 weeks!!! I am doing everything I am supposed to. I don't know how to get over this plateau....I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Angela

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Bump
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Without being able to see your diary, I would dare to say you actually need to eat more to lose weight. I was on insulin for a period of time during and following my pregnancy and had to increase my calories to see a loss.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    are your sugars bottoming out because of the 4 insulin injections when you lower your carbs. The key is eating 6 small meals a day, low carbs/low sugar and lots of lean protein.

are you type 2 diabetic?
  • I would actually increase my calories for a week. Try at least 1,500 for one week and maybe add another half mile or mile to your walking and see what it does for you. My sister is insulin dependent at 215 pounds and her doctor has her on 1,600-1,750 calories a day for weightloss. You really do have to eat to lose. 1,200 is the very minimum anyone should be eating, you don't want to start at the minimum because as you lose weight you have to adjust your calorie intake down to keep losing. If you're already at the minimum, you have no where to go. Also, it really isn't about the quantity of calories but the quality. Make sure you're taking in good fats and carbs and steering clear of the junk and things that just spike your sugar.

Best of luck to you! =)
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    I agree that you may not be eating enough. I would talk to your doctor though. 120 seems like a reasonable carb intake. Have you had problems with your blood sugar dropping? Your doctor could always lower your insulin dosage if that is a problem. I'm type 1 and on a pump but I usually have to cut my insulin back during my work outs. I have also heard that insulin makes it hard to lose weight. I don't think I've really experienced that. Mostly my problem in the past has been that I start to lose weight so my insulin requirements drop and I end up eating more often to get my blood sugar up. When I start seeing more lows I really need to cut back on insulin. Good Luck!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    insulin lowers your metabolism. i'm a type 1 :o/ it makes losing weight sooo much more work. i suggest working with your dietitian if you don't feel comfortable playing with your insulin dosages yourself & lower it some so you don't need to eat as much to maintain your sugars & if you eat more & need more insulin, then you can easily take another shot.
This discussion has been closed.