water v coffee

Options
im really bad with water, does it really make much difference if i drink fluid in other forms e.g coffee? Could this be slowing down my weightloss? advice please

Replies

• shyaamist
    Options
    I admit, I like a little "extra" creamer in my coffee along with splenda! I have found that coffee keeps my tummy fuller, but I know all the caffene isn't good for me...

I'm excited to see what everyone else says....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Coffee has caffeine (even decaf has some) and that dehydrates your body. Your body does filter out water from foods and beverages but plain water is best. I only count plain water as water because it's ready for your body to use.

If you're having trouble getting your 8 glasses a day try using a reusable cup with a lid or a sports bottle. My reusable cup holds about 24oz and because it has a lid I can takes drinks from it all day long without feeling forced to drink a whole glass before dust/bugs/kids hands get into it. I refill it 3-4 times a day, which means I get the equivalent of 9-12 glasses. Once you start drinking plain water you will start to like it. I don't drink anything but water unless I'm at a restaurant or it's my TOM. (Coke cures my cramps.)
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee but from what I have read coffee is not a substitute, even decaf considering that for each cup of coffee (100 mg caffeine) your body needs 3 cups of water to compensate for the water loss that occurs due to coffee's diuretic effect.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes it makes a difference. Coffee is a mild diuretic. Which doesn't mean what most people think it means. It doesn't mean if you drink coffee you'll lose more water than you drink, it means when you drink coffee your body will dispose of more water than it normally does.

this means that coffee still hydrates you, just less than water does. I.E. drinking 4 cups of coffee may only give you the equivalent of 2.5 cups of water (this isn't necessarily accurate, it depends on the coffee).
    Where as 4 cups of water is 4 cups of water.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    FYI, coffee doesn't dehydrate you guys. It's a mild diuretic. Note a desiccant.

coffee has diuretic properties, which means it stimulates urea production in the kidneys. But the amount of increased urine production does not match the amount of water in coffee.
  • margarita953
    margarita953 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Thank you for clarifying that! I thought I'd heard somewhere that the coffee being dehydrating was a myth.

That being said, I guess it also depends on what you put in your coffee - do you take it black or add stuff to it?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Thank you for clarifying that! I thought I'd heard somewhere that the coffee being dehydrating was a myth.

That being said, I guess it also depends on what you put in your coffee - do you take it black or add stuff to it?

as far as hydration is concerned, unless you're adding something that is also a diuretic (like a shot of espresso maybe) then I should think it doesn't really matter.

trust me, if you were to consume a strong diuretic (enough to become dehydrated), you'd know it pretty quick, you'd have to pee a lot. You'd probably get dizzy, you'd feel nausea, and you would have very loose bowels in most cases.