emotional eating is the WORST!!!

Options
I broke the 20 pound mark today and I wanted to be happy sooooo bad. I'm having some money issues and it's all I can think about. I've been eating all day and I want to have a few glasses of wine but I have my kids so that'll have to wait. The tears won't stop and the more I eat the more I cry but I just can't stop myself. I never thought I was an emotional eater until now. I thought I just ate to eat. But now that I've been doing so well on a regular basis I've come to realize I only binge when I'm upset.

Replies

• SK24373
    SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 20 pounds! I KNOW that when times are tough, eating is a source of comfort for many of us and I know this sounds couterintuitive, BUT....if you can talk yourself into it.....

Go and exercise. Work out. It will help you deal with your stress/anxiety over financial issues. It will (hopefully) remind you why you are working this hard and will deter you from grabbing unhealthy food.

A glass of wine is fine, but if you are already thinking about food, it will probably lower your inhibitions and kill all of our willpower.

I believe this is a daily battle...just like any other addiction.

FIGHT and you can do it. And...think of those beautiful kids and the role model you want to be for them.

Turning to food and wine when we are down is not much different (in my opinion) than reaching for a pill or other drug.

You are strong. You are on this site. You have already accomplished so much.

I wish you strength!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having a bad day ... daily life can be a struggle. BUT you know that eating isn't making you feel better .. take control, take a walk, color with your kids, do ANYTHING but eat. I have started cleaning house everytime I want to snack. It is amazing how clean my house is LOL ... but it is working and I haven't had a binge since I started MFP. Lean on the people in your life who support you ... food is a FRENEMY, seems like a friend but hurting you in the long run. Glad you reached out for support ...
  • mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't give up...it is definitley ok to have the thoughts and urges, but you have to let them in and then pass. I can't say it very well!! but, I have been dealing with an addictive compulsion, even though I am pretty fit and have everything (like a new marriage) to be so happy about. This week I have been listening to Pema Chodoron, Getting Unstuck. I highly recommend this reading or listening to her. Very helpful.
    Hang in there, and know it is ok.
  • dekarlo08
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I know I need to just pull it together. I'm really trying.:ohwell:
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Try drinking a lot of water first, to get a bit full, then writing at least a little bit about how you feel or how your feelings make you want to eat at that moment, so that you can try to feel better that way. As you write, you might remember what your priorities are, and can curb the bottomless pit feeling.
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I found out that I was an emotional eater too when my grandmother died this past weekend. I ate what I wanted with the knowledge that it wasn't going to instantly turn into fat. I gave myself time to do what I wanted and feel better. No worrying about "silly" things like fat loss. Feel better = eat better. Monday I was back on the fitness bandwagon and didn't look back. I did what I had to do to feel better and that was a bottle of wine and chips.
  • lwells611
    Options
    I feel your pain. As soon as you eat , you feel the guilt. Why do we do IT!? But hey, look how far you've come!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having a bad day, but you aren't alone! I've been an emotional eater my whole life it seems, and I have bad days too. Try to find something else to occupy your mind...I know it's not as easy as it sounds!
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    The tears won't stop and the more I eat the more I cry but I just can't stop myself. I never thought I was an emotional eater until now. I thought I just ate to eat. But now that I've been doing so well on a regular basis I've come to realize I only binge when I'm upset.

This is a HUGE realization! Congratulations! For the 20 pounds yes, but also for the connections you're making to your emotions. No one eats just to eat and looking at that squarely is a great start. As Geneen Roth says, eating won't solve your financial problem. It will only add a weight problem to the one you already have.

What if you just allowed yourself to cry and feel sadly about your financial situation? Is that possible? What would it feel like to just be sad without the food to numb the pain? I know it feels like there's no solid ground under the tears, but I promise you there is. You're awesome for having the courage to say those words out loud. I believe you can make it through this. xoxo s
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im not an emotional eater,but I am and emotinol smoker.Sometimes its so bad my lungs have hurt the next day.Just try to step back and be aware of what your doing.It will only add to your stress.I hope things get better for you :flowerforyou:
  • dekarlo08
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everybody. You guys are great.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I just discovered this about myself yesterday. I eat when I'm stressed, and sad, then binging makes me even more stressed, and sad...

I decided that the next time I feel the binge coming on, I have a plan in place. I will exercise, instead. I think a walk around the block will be best for me, it will keep me out of the kitchen, and I will even take my kids with me if I have to, because exercise is good for everyone - and better than me eating everything from the pantry. Maybe you could exercise, or read a book, or clean - the point is we need to find a new obsession, something else we can focus our minds on, make a NEW habit.

It's hard, and I am right here with you, I know exactly what you are going through, I am in the same exact place. :flowerforyou:

OH - and a HUGE congrats on losing 20lbs, that is fantastic!!!