P90x...on my 5th day!

Options
I've tried many other workouts before but this is by far the most extreme workout I've ever been through. I am following the diet plan and drinking plenty of water. Also started taking Omega 3's. Heard this helps build muscle. Is that true or just a myth? Anyways I feel great and if anybody just started like me, I'd love to go through it with you since I am doing it all by myself! Already lost 3 pounds in 6 days and I feel great! Any other suggestions from those who've been through it? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dalbers
    Options
    Omega 3s are anti-oxidants. They prevent the damage done by these evil things called free radicals.

They are the biggest reason to take fish oil.

They are good stuff but not likely to help you build muscle so much as contribute to excellent health.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Ok thanks man. Appreciate it. Do you suggest protein shakes? I take myoplex bars daily.
  • brittfam
    Options
    :smile: I loved doing P90X. I’m more of a cardio girl but this made me stick with the schedule and MADE me lift weights! After I finished P90,.. I am addicted to the gym and I still do a couple workouts throughout the week.. including YogaX ( I started off dreading this workout but it turned out to be one of my favorites along with Legs and Back)
    GOOD LUCK
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Thanks. I was thinking about adding more cardio because I think it is lacking a bit. I'd like to trim about 10 more pounds to get to my target weight. Did you add some cardio?
  • brittfam
    Options
    Normally I did, but only a couple days a week. I love getting on the elptical and just going ... its sorta like " me" time. Maybe try adding in a day or two and see how you feel.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Good call. WIll do thanks.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    You dont need to add cardio if you are doing the classic. Plyo and Kenpo are enough. I lost 25 lbs and 4 inches off my waist the first time I did the X. IF you like cardio I suggest Insanity after you complete P90X. Also as far as suggestions, take the rec. drink. I've taken it for every workout except for yoga since the first day I did P90X and my muscles are usually never sore for more than a day. No where near some of the whiners on here though. Just kidding. If you don't want to get it, which I would recommend, because you could always just use 1 scoop instead of two and it lasts twice as long that way, try fat free chocolate milk or Ive even heard of bagels for recovery.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    Thanks a lot Jay. I think I might have to bite the bullet and get them. My body has been dead going into work!
  • carlotta
    carlotta Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    in the beginning (on week 6) my boyfriend drank a protein drink after outr p90x workout and i took nothing and boy oh boy did my muscle take longer to heal then his!!! then i started drinking chocolate milk, i cup, after the workout and i noticed that i was not as sore for as long as a time.

i incorporate extra cardio into my workout regime also. i just graduated from the c25k program and i dont want to lose what i worked so hard for.

hoping i will love the yoga day soon!!! :)
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    There is the doubles program which is the classic and then in month 2 you add a cardio routine to your daily workout. It says in the book that is for elite athletes. I took that to mean not a 36 year old trying to lose 20 or so pounds who hasn't done much excercising in the past few years. I guess you could always try that if the X isn't a challenge for you! LOL. Give it a few weeks if you are still in your 1st week, I have a feeling you'll be begging for the recovery week come week 4.
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been drinking protein shakes. Heard the recovery drink is delicious but is basically chocolate milk with creatine. How have you been doing on the nutrition plan? I am struggling to get the recommended protein without going over on fat.
  • dalbers
    Options
    Ok thanks man. Appreciate it. Do you suggest protein shakes? I take myoplex bars daily.

Depends on your fitness goals.

If you are trying to build muscle, then eat accordingly. If you cannot get enough protein in your diet, protein shakes can help.

If your goal is weight loss, you are not going to build big muscles at the same time as you lose weight. What happens is people see the muscles as they become revealed and think that means they are getting larger muscles. Also, as they lose weight, they can suddenly do more pushups and situps and other bodyweight exercises, so they feel stronger.

You can get stronger, a little, especially if you are new to strength training, but while you are operating at a calorie deficit you will not make muscles larger.

This is something body builders have known for decades. Gaining muscle size while losing weight is the holy grail in bodybuilding and nobody has really found it yet.

Edit: I should add, you can get much stronger as a new exerciser while losing weight, this is mostly due to neural adaption. Basically your body is learning to recruit more existing muscle fibre, rather then leaving it lay dormant. This is why you often see huge beginner gains when weight lifting for the first few months. Gains will slow down once this neural adaption phase ends, unless you deliberatly target it with something like a low rep, high weight power lifting plan.
  • aschrader7
    Options
    I have definitely been drinking protein shakes. Heard the recovery drink is delicious but is basically chocolate milk with creatine. How have you been doing on the nutrition plan? I am struggling to get the recommended protein without going over on fat.

Good question. I've just been eating really lean meats like ham and turkey. I'm just focusing on getting enough protein through these first few weeks because I can feel my body crave it after the workouts. Like said above, I'm finding milk after my workout helps a lot.
  • aschrader7
    Options

Depends on your fitness goals.

If you are trying to build muscle, then eat accordingly. If you cannot get enough protein in your diet, protein shakes can help.

If your goal is weight loss, you are not going to build big muscles at the same time as you lose weight. What happens is people see the muscles as they become revealed and think that means they are getting larger muscles. Also, as they lose weight, they can suddenly do more pushups and situps and other bodyweight exercises, so they feel stronger.

You can get stronger, a little, especially if you are new to strength training, but while you are operating at a calorie deficit you will not make muscles larger.

This is something body builders have known for decades. Gaining muscle size while losing weight is the holy grail in bodybuilding and nobody has really found it yet.

Edit: I should add, you can get much stronger as a new exerciser while losing weight, this is mostly due to neural adaption. Basically your body is learning to recruit more existing muscle fibre, rather then leaving it lay dormant. This is why you often see huge beginner gains when weight lifting for the first few months. Gains will slow down once this neural adaption phase ends, unless you deliberatly target it with something like a low rep, high weight power lifting plan.

Thanks for the response. My focus is to basically get more lean. I have some pretty big muscles still from playing football in High School 4 years ago but I want to be more defined and lean. I'm eating better and obviously cutting out fast food. Even had to drop beer as a college student! Kenpo tomarrow. Should be interesting!