how many oz is pasta

Options
I am assuming that when mfp asks for oz of dry pasta it is going by weight, I have no clue where my scale is currently but does anybody know how many oz 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat shell pasta is??

Replies

• Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been measuring it cooked....RUT ROH!:sad:
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't know, every time I check it looks like is says dry. maybe I'm messing up here.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I am assuming that when mfp asks for oz of dry pasta it is going by weight, I have no clue where my scale is currently but does anybody know how many oz 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat shell pasta is??
    i would go measure real quick for you since im not doing anything *i should be cleaning* BUT i dont have any shell pasta, just egg noodles, spegetti, and ziti
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    to my knowledge, solid food is always measured in weight, not volume. Liquids are measured in volume unless otherwise stated (I.E. if it says "NET Oz. wt" then it's measured by weight.).
  • annastasia76
    Options
    I think it is supposed to be dry because when I click on pastas that I know the weight of the box it gives the weight of the uncooked pasta rather than what it would weight cooked, plus wouldn't the pasta weight more if it is cooked longer because of absorbing more water??? that's just my guess.
  • annastasia76
    Options
    never mind I found my scale (right where it belongs go figure) 2 1/2 cups dry whole wheat shell pasta weights 7.9 oz, I will round it up to 8oz, I was close in my original guess of 10 oz. Gag, most of the calories in last nights meal was in carbs!!! I can't wait for my garden to get going, we currently only have lettuce and spinach and plenty of it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think it is supposed to be dry because when I click on pastas that I know the weight of the box it gives the weight of the uncooked pasta rather than what it would weight cooked, plus wouldn't the pasta weight more if it is cooked longer because of absorbing more water??? that's just my guess.

yes, as far as I know pasta is always weighed dry.
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, I under ate, but that's OK!!!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I found this great site that provides volume to weight conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm

Shell pasta wasn't listed but macaroni pasta resembles it because of the air pockets. =) So 2.5 cups is around 10.2 ounces.

Oops, I just saw that you found your scale. 10 oz is not too far off! =)
  • deandp371
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too! some of the entries in the database say "1 cup cooked", so I tend to pick those and questimate. Been losing about a pound a week for the past month, so I guess that's working!