Protein Shakes and Bars

NicoleMarie00
NicoleMarie00 Posts: 31 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it necessary to eat/drink protein after working out? and if so, what does everyone recommend?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Protein is excellent after a workout, because it helps rebuild the muscle tissue. I don't use protein bars or shakes personally, but I would recommend something natural. I like to drink chocolate milk after a workout because of the combination of carbohydrates and protein, as well as B vitamins and potassium for your body post-workout. Fuel those muscle fibers!!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    I like using whey protein shakes, mixed with 1/4 cup fruit.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    If you are doing some good strength training workouts, it's recommended to take in some protein shortly after the workout. You see whey protein shakes and bars are used so commonly because whey protein is the quickest absorbing protein. So, the quicker the absorbtion, the quicker the muscle recovery can begin.
  • I haven't found a protein shake that I like so I make my own - nonfat greek yogurt, skim milk, fruit, splenda. Its good and gives me about 20 g protein.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    i've been wondering the same thing! looking forward to getting advice from others on this thread.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I've been using 1 scoop of Scivation Chocolate Whey protein with 6oz of water right after my workouts. It actually tastes really good!
  • As everyone said above, protein is excellent, because it helps build muscle. (Very little protein is used by the body for fuel in a normal person. Instead, amino acids are used to build muscle, which is absolutely necessary during weight loss, and also for toning and conditioning).

In fact, 90% of the protein you drink after heavy workouts is absorbed. When I was on my weight loss journey we had to keep a food journal, and my nutritionist didn't even count the protein taken in within 45 minutes of the workout, because the rapid rate of absorption. (Added fruit or milk still had to be counted, just not the protein).) Her recommendation was 1/2 serving for women and full serving for men within 45 minutes of completing every workout.

Shakes are absorbed easier, so I recommend shakes, but protein bars are good as well. Especially if you run for a long time, and want to carry a small bar with you. I usually buy the 100 calorie protein bars. They're excellent, because they're high in protein, low in sugars and calories.
  • I like the EAS shakes or I make my own. I use soy milk, chocolate whey protein, and then throw in a bananna or some natural peanut butter. I also like the Special K Protein Meal bars, the chocolate peanut butter is awesome.
This discussion has been closed.