Pho...

Options
Question for Pho (Vietnamese soup) eaters. How bad is it, calorie wise? I had a craving last night, but only ate half. When I the checked the database, there were so many diff calorie counts. It was good, but now I'm regretting it after I saw the number on the scale this morning!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You are most likely just retaining some extra water today from the sodium in the soup!
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Pho. It isn't so bad calorie-wise, but is very high in sodium.
    -wtk
  • katebcastro
    Options
    yea its just water..i had Pho on Valentines too and I only ate a portion of it..its not so bad on calories for as long as we dont finish the entire bowl or just burn it after by working out.. so no need to worry..
  • tansyg
    tansyg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I worked in a Pho restaurant for 5 years. It is definitely one of the most healthy restaurant/take away food.
    Rice noodles have less calories than egg noodles. And the soup is mostly water. The stock is made by boiling loads of veg, meat, bones, and spices. The beef option has a little more oil than the chicken, but that oily sheen on top of the soup is where all the flavour is.

All of the spices are incredibly healthy/have amazing benefits. Star anise and ginger in particular.

salt, sugar and msg are added to magnify the flavour. This is the less healthy bit, but as a one off nothing to worry about.

Pho is the national dish in Vietnam, often eaten for breakfast, lunch ans sometimes dinner. I cant ever remember seeing an obese Vietnamese person
  • TiredOfBeingRound
    TiredOfBeingRound Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info!! WHEN I do eat it again (and I will!) I'll be sure to get the rice noodles and stick with the chicken. I'll just be sure to drink more water that day, just in case!!

ToBR :happy: