Fitness Calories

Options
This may seem like a ridiculous question but if I burn calories doing exercise should I be eating more food to make up my goal or do I count the calories burned as extra ones lost - not sure what to do for the best. I have been sort of eating up to half the calories burned. I worry that I am under eating if that makes sense??

Help appreciated

xx

Replies

• laurenashley813
    Options
    Wondering the same thing! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    it's my understanding that you do.
    for example if you are given 1200cals per day
    you eat 1200 - then exercise 500 = and your net is 700cals. that's not enough nutrition
    you eat 1700 - then exercise 500 = and your net is the 1200 cals you were given to start with.

i struggled and struggled w/this question until another mfp member broke it down like that for me.
    hope this helps!
  • camilles
    camilles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hi..sorry I can't be much help but I will be watching for replies as I was wondering the same...like today my goal was 1200 calories (as usual) but I did 700 cals of exercise..I haven't eaten up to amout that it has changed my goal to (1900cal) and I am still at around 1200.

so I was wondering if it's "safe" to eat more or will I lose more if I stick to the 1200 and count as you say the exercise as extra ones.
    I am scared to over eat but don't want to undereat.

well done on your weight loss so far.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    yes u can i eat only about half my workout cals.
  • Savagefit
    Savagefit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it calculates calories burned during exercise a little high so eating 1/2 the calories you burn might be a good way to start. If you are losing weight too fast then add more calories. On the Biggest loser the women eat 1200 calories a day and the men eat 1500. the woman's goal is to burn 6000 calories per day and the men are to burn 8000. They wear the body bug to measure their calories burned. This is how they lose weight so fast. They don't seem to go into starvation mode??? But who knows how many gain the weight back!!
  • Kennxx
    Options
    this makes sense
  • Kennxx
    Options
    Personally I think the Newbie links that have been posted are good - but very medical - I just want someone to say yes or no however its obviously not that easy as everybody is different. My issue is that somedays I do 200 Calories of exercise and 3 times a week I do between 450 and 1000 when I run (I only entered light activity on my profile as I assume it meant daily routine rather than exercise habits)

Weight seems to be coming off slowly so eating half the caloried seems to work as long as its not calories form things that are too bad for me)