What happens if your protein is to high?

Options
My protein is always over. My calories, carbs and fat are always under but I just cant keep my protein down.

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP has my protein correct. I have looked at other calculators and the other calculators are always much higher.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have it the same and I really dont think thats a problem. Protein is good for our body so I think if everything else is under, nothing will happen.
    But I know only a little bit about nutrition!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am with all the other ladies on this one. I believe if everything else is low, and Protein is the only high one, you are fine. I drink one protein water, plus a piece of chicken, and its over. Protein is important if you do frequent workouts also.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein isn't a bad thing, esp since MFP has it set pretty low from what I've read on here.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    MFP's protein recommendation is really low. I always go over by 35-45. It's totally fine.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my bf is a personal trainer and he says that for every pound you weigh is the amount of protien u should havefor example 150lbs =150 grams of protein remember protein keeps you feeling full longer
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're fine :smile: I reset my protein to 45% and I rarely hit it, but I feel waaay better with more protein in my intake. It's better to be too high on protein than on carbs! :flowerforyou: .

EDIT::: What Gangstagirl said, that's why I reset my protein so high. It's made a world of difference!
  • e3slisa
    Options
    I had the same question a week or so ago as I am in the same situation. My replies were all pretty much the same as above. Protein is good for us and as long as we are exercise it builds our muscle.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    MFP sets your protein WAY low. Way way low... most of you ladies should be in the 100-120g range per day.

A side benefit... protein makes you feel MUCH more full... even more so than fiber.

Basically how protein works is that you can process ~25g per hour. Excess is excreted in the urine. Protein keeps tissue repair in a anabolic state by increasing the nitrogen index of our blood. Not enough protein = you start using muscles for energy.

Since there is kidney processing, excess protein can be hard on the kidneys. Drink plenty of water and if you don't have an underlying kidney problem and don't eat 400g per day for 10 years you won't notice anything.....
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    MFP sets your protein WAY low. Way way low... most of you ladies should be in the 100-120g range per day.

A side benefit... protein makes you feel MUCH more full... even more so than fiber.

Basically how protein works is that you can process ~25g per hour. Excess is excreted in the urine. Protein keeps tissue repair in a anabolic state by increasing the nitrogen index of our blood. Not enough protein = you start using muscles for energy.

Since there is kidney processing, excess protein can be hard on the kidneys. Drink plenty of water and if you don't have an underlying kidney problem and don't eat 400g per day for 10 years you won't notice anything.....

See that makes sense. I see about 119 grams of protein for me a day. MFP has me at like 50 grams.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Chemistry/biochemistry nerd ;)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    LOL Hey that's okay.
    Chemistry/biochemistry nerd ;)
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    my bf is a personal trainer and he says that for every pound you weigh is the amount of protien u should havefor example 150lbs =150 grams of protein remember protein keeps you feeling full longer

Great Post! I've always wondered myself as I'm ALWAYS over! I can do 100-130grams of protien though...:happy:
  • plc765
    plc765 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for that post! That explains alot, and I'm always over my protein on MFP, and was getting a bit worried!
  • lizvanb
    lizvanb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm also over my protein today, but I am also over in fiber as well. Is that bad, or is it similar to being over in protein?
  • GodsPromises
    GodsPromises Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How do you reset the percents for protein on MFP
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Too much protein can be bad for your kidneys if you don't work out. Not sure how much is too much, though.
  • rmmattox34
    Options
    Thanks yall!!!