Sick and never feeling full?

Options
I was extremely sick on monday and am still not much better. Dr called back with blood results and she said i'm fighting off a bacterial infection. I'm still dealing with the intense headaches and congestion along with lower back pain. (and I can't breath at the moment) I'm noticing today that I can't seem to get enough food. I ate leftovers for lunch (pizza) and had cereal for breakfast and yogurt for a snack and I still felt hungry! Not even an hour after my lunch my stomach started growling and getting that urking feeling so now i'm snacking on my 100 calorie pack popcorn. Since i'm so sick I can't really exercise, but i'm not sure why i'm craving everything and extremely hungry all day!!! :/

Does anyone else get like this when you're sick?

OH and i've been downing the water too...have already had 8 glasses and it's only 3pm!!

Replies

• erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Honestly I was sick for a week last month and I stopped caring so much about what I ate. Get a lot of rest and go easy on your body. When you're back to your old self, you can worry about eating and exercising all you want. Just focus on getting better right now.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I agree don't worry about the diet while you are sick. Just eat lots of chicken noodle soup and get lots of vitamin c and zink. Rest as much as you can. Bath regularly to get the germs off you and disinfect the house. Normal sick time stuff. You can worry about losing weight after you get better.
  • mr_ashley
    Options
    Dealing with this right now. I've got a cold or something for about the umpteenth time this winter. We have all been so sick this whole winter, starting back in early December. We've had the stomach bug, one of us had the flu, then we've had strep, and at least 2 sinus infections.

It's been very difficult to maintain momentum in my workouts and in my eating. It's a nice excuse too, for the fact that I'm not showing a lot of discipline in what I eat. Better change that!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to support your immune system, so I think feed yourself wholesome foods with good nutrients but don't worry so much about calories. That said, I have heard that sugar is bad for infections. I don't know if it's true...
  • bobball
    Options
    you are getting some good advice here. Your body is craving nutrition so it can fight the bacteria. As much as you can don't feed it junk food and you'll be fine. Worry about the calories next week!
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying, I hope you feel better soon!
    I usually have the opposite effect when I'm sick. I don't really want to eat much of anything except soup and chocolate frosty's from wendy's (lol) But lately I noticed that I get hungry ever 2-2.5 hours) Everyone's been telling me it's my metabolism picking up speed from me eating/exercising better...but I don't know if that's true. Maybe your metabolism is in overdrive as well?

Good luck with everything!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    sometimes when you're sick your body needs more calories because it is burning more to fight off the infection. i hope you feel better!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try eating more fruit and green veggies. Its high in Vitamins and antioxidants, that will help feel a little better and try upping your fiber intake to about 25/30 a day through whole grains and veggies that will help you feel full. Hope you get to feeling better. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You need to eat good healthy whole foods like veggies and fruit. I am guessing you have a fever as well. Fighting off an infection takes energy from your body, and that is likely why you need food. So eat, but avoid the calorie dense nutrition light stuff. You want lots of vitamins and minerals so eat good food. I know when I am sick the temptation is to go for the comfort foods that are nutritionally pretty empty, but good food will help more. Get well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I was extremely sick on monday and am still not much better. Dr called back with blood results and she said i'm fighting off a bacterial infection. I'm still dealing with the intense headaches and congestion along with lower back pain. (and I can't breath at the moment) I'm noticing today that I can't seem to get enough food. I ate leftovers for lunch (pizza) and had cereal for breakfast and yogurt for a snack and I still felt hungry! Not even an hour after my lunch my stomach started growling and getting that urking feeling so now i'm snacking on my 100 calorie pack popcorn. Since i'm so sick I can't really exercise, but i'm not sure why i'm craving everything and extremely hungry all day!!! :/

Does anyone else get like this when you're sick?

OH and i've been downing the water too...have already had 8 glasses and it's only 3pm!!
    I got like this when I wasn't eating enough. I had my calorie deficit set to 1200 and had these weird black hole moments. I set my NET to 1700 and have't had the same problems since. I try to make sure I eat enough when I'm sick so my body has enough energy to repair itself. It's almost better to eat at maintenance if you're sick and want food.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    A. Focus on getting better then get back on the wagon when you're healthy

B.The types of foods you are eating arent nutrient dense and thats why they arent making you feel full
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I felt like this for about two years.... then I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My body was not absorbing nutrition, so I was constantly hungry. It was AWFUL!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    A. Focus on getting better then get back on the wagon when you're healthy

B.The types of foods you are eating arent nutrient dense and thats why they arent making you feel full
    Nutrition has nothing to do with feeling full. You can feel full on crap with few nutrients, trust me. However, if you ate healthier you're likely to feel better sooner!