recent weight gain may not just be what i'm eating...

Options
If anyone has read my blog, they will see that i may very well have a horomone issue on top of poor eating and exercise habits. I was wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with PCOS (not sure of exact name right this second) it has to do with uneven hormone levels that cause an array of things, one being weight gain, another, diabetes with resistence to insulin...i also have major swelling in my hands and pain in them every morning until about mid day. Mood swings come with it too. :( If anyone has any idea what i'm talking about or HAS this...please let me know!

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I know exactly how you feel. I feel like I am busting my butt off for little results. I switched to whole wheat and to the best that I can low GI foods but not much of an improvement yet.
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I met with my endocrinologist at the beginning of last month (A Dr's appt. that changed my life). She recommended I go on a low GI diet, and she prescribed me Metformin. I have been exercising 5 days a week, and I am down over 30 pounds! They symptoms of PCOS are terrible, but I have noticed a dramatic change in my mood, complexion and energy levels. Here is a book I read and recommend: "The New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS". I wish you the best.
  • RichB77
    Options
    Hi,

it sounds like you are referring to polycystic ovary syndrome?

Weight loss is probably the most effective method of restoring normal ovulation/menstruation, but many women find it very difficult to achieve and sustain significant weight loss. A diet of low-carbohydrate and regular exercise may help. Some doctors recommend a low GI diet in which a high percentage of the total carbohydrates are obtained from fruit, vegetables and whole grain sources.

Weight gain can only happen due to what you are eating, and by the sounds of it maybe you should concentrate on the poor-eating aspect and hopefully your condition will impove. Have you had your thyroid checked? I suggest with the swelling that you may be best speaking to your GP?

Hope this helps, and i hope you can move forward soon.

take care
  • maineislandgirl
    maineislandgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an appointment on the 25th with an endocrinologist in Portland for this very same issue! Not diagnosed yet, but this is one of the possibilities of what is going on. . . . . I'll let you know how it goes!
  • jujubeem
    Options
    thank you so much! i'm on that book like tan on whole grain rice!! hehehe! :laugh: