The proper squat

Options
I see a lot of people do a squat wrong.

Thougth I would share a few tips.

1) Get below paralell. NO IT IS NOT BAD FOR YOUR KNEES. Staying above parallel is bad for your knees. When you reach depth, you must reverse the direction of the weight, this greatly increases the force on the body. When you are at or below parallel, this weight transfers to your hips, when you are above paralell and squatting wrong, this weight is a shearing force that transfers to your knees. THAT IS A BAD THING!! Your hips can take it, your knees.. not so much.

2) Do not rest the bar on your spine or neck. Try to rest the bar across your shoulders between the middle and rear deltoids. Grip the bar TIGHT and imagine bending it around your body like Superman would. Literally try to be bending that bar around you as you squat. This will lock your upper body tight, and cause your clavicles to flair out, creating a gab between the barbell and your spine. The barbell should NOT be on your spine, EVER.

3) Do not extend your knees past your toes. Sit back in your squat. Put a bench behind you if you need to practice sitting back onto the bench. Box squats are a great training tool. Your knees should not poke out past your toes. See point one about shearing force.

These are the "Big Three" I see people doing wrong all the time.

If you really want to learn to master the squat, deadlift and benchpress and the actual science as to why you should do these things from one of the best trainers in the world, check out Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" which is a great reference for beginners, but also for experienced lifters. It is one of the bibles of lifting heavy.

PS - Forget spotters, learn to use the squat rails in a power tower, or a squat rack. Spotters are not much help unless you have 2 spotters.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "getting below paralell" Are you referring only to squats performed with weights on a rack? or the kind that most women do in front of a video (LOL). Just curious.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    All great pieces of advice. I will add that it is very helpful to practice proper form either with no weight, or just an empty bar until you know how it should be done. Get in the groove and use an excellent full body exercise.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "getting below paralell" Are you referring only to squats performed with weights on a rack? or the kind that most women do in front of a video (LOL). Just curious.

your butt below your knees vertically.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Below parallel means getting your thighs below the point where they are parallel with the ground.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    thanks! Got it now!
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I see a lot of people doing squats wrong because they are trying to lift heavier than they should. FORM is everything!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Great advice, I see a lot of people doing squats wrong because they are trying to lift heavier than they should. FORM is everything!

Completely agree. Weight must follow form. Half squats are the fast track to getting injured...

Personally, I have only rarely seen a squat with good form. I have real difficulty with it myself so switched to one legged leg presses instead. Not quite as an effective as a squat but less potential for ballsing it up and more potential for working with good form and progressive tension overload.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yeah i see this a fair bit also...its a shame when i also see it being taught wrong by "fitness instructors"...
    deadlift is another one...
  • dalbers
    Options
    yeah i see this a fair bit also...its a shame when i also see it being taught wrong by "fitness instructors"...
    deadlift is another one...

Yep, deadlift...

Pretty sure that is how it got its name...

Tip for the deadlift, the bottom of the deadlift is really the bottom of a squat. Hips below parellel, grab the bar, don't lift with your back instead concentrate on putting your feet through the floor! Its really a lot like a squat in reverse, with a different balance.

Nice numbers on your sig bud!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I don't beleive you. I go to a pretty busy gym...and I'm the only one I have ever seen do a squat. :bigsmile:
  • dalbers
    Options

I don't beleive you. I go to a pretty busy gym...and I'm the only one I have ever seen do a squat. :bigsmile:

Lol