Protein Shakes?

Options
My dad said that it's good to drink a protein shake in the morning because you're body has been at rest for 8 hours so it's good to feed protein to your muscles and I was telling my co worker that I've been drinking them in the morning and she said not to because they make you gain weight? Does anyone know? Are protein shakes necessary?

Replies

• gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump 'cause i was thinking of using them for a breakfast in the summer (ice, banana, blender...yum)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I drink protein smoothies for B-fast all the time in the summer, and have just started whipping up a small one after vigorous workouts of an hour or more.

Your co-worker is misinformed: a protein smoothie will not make you gain weight. You can make a healthy one for about 300 cals. My really extravagant ones come in @ about 400. But I account for them in my daily calories.

What will make you gain weight is TOO much of anything....protein smoothies included.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I believe it helps you to gain muscle and muscle is heaver then fat so it can look like you gained. As far as I know your dad is right.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Just eating something in the morning is good to get you going. Does it necessarily have to be a protein shake? No. Should it be something with protein - I think so. Will protein shakes make you gain weight? Absolutely not - at least not as long as you are logging those calories and not going over the calories you burn in a day. I lost the most weight in my life when I was drinking protein shakes 3 times a day.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not replacements for actual food. Eat something good and leave the shake for a mid day snack or post workout recovery.
    Some protein shakes have an absolute ton of calories but some are pretty good. I have used ON, Pro Complex it contains 270 calories with 60g of protein.
    It is one of the best artificial sources of protein for a post recovery "diet" drink.
  • Texaganian
    Options
    For what it's worth, I don't know the science behind it but I can speak to my experience.

Since I am mostly vegetarian (do a little fish) and since I am beginning to do some weight training, I decided I needed to up my protein intake.

The protein smoothies I make are right about 300 calories.

If I have one in the morning, even though I keep my total calorie intake for the day the same, my rate of weight loss drops. I've tested this through several cycles of doing the smoothies and not and it has been consistent.

BTW, in my case, it is not a case of being a little heavier because of building more lean muscle... I haven't really started the strength workouts in earnest yet.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Protein shakes are not replacements for actual food. Eat something good and leave the shake for a mid day snack or post workout recovery.
    Some protein shakes have an absolute ton of calories but some are pretty good. I have used ON, Pro Complex it contains 270 calories with 60g of protein.
    It is one of the best artificial sources of protein for a post recovery "diet" drink.

I disagree that they aren't replacements for actual food...because mine are REAL food. Milk, fruit, nuts, even spinach on occasion. I think it just depends on what you put in them.
  • jlpdelorme
    Options
    I am no expert by any means but I started drinking proteins shakes for breakfast about a month ago. I LOVE them. They keep me full in the morning. Just watch the calories in whatever shake you use. I was using GNC Lean Shakes but realized there is not as much protein as other shakes so I ordered another kind a few days ago. I have not had any weight gain (actually lost 14 lbs in a little over a month!).
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and which kind of shake you choose. I've recently been having a protein shake straight after my morning workout because my stomach can't handle breakfast that soon after exercise. It is a shake specifically designed for weight loss, though there are others out there that are designed to replace meals or bulk up etc.

It is definitely a good idea to try and get a high proportion of your calories thorugh protein (MFP underestimates how much protein you should be having), and they can be a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth as well if you choose a flavour such as chocolate, strawberry or vanilla, and stop you from overloading on carbs. Protein shakes also claim to speed up recovery and reduce soreness. Getting enough protein is also important to suppress cravings and gives you that satisfyingly full feeling.

That said, if you are able to get sufficient protein through other foods and you do not think you will benefit hugely, you might be better off saving your money. Milk for example is a great way to get a good ratio of protein and carbs, and tests have found it to be equally effective at restoring the body after exercise as other protein supplements. You could make yourself a milkshake with frozen berries and/or a banana! Another fun way to pack in the morning protein is with eggs (I usually choose one whole egg plus 2 egg whites) - there something special, to me at least, about cooking breakfast!

It's your call, and it often depends on whether you are prepared to invest in good supplementation and what your lifestyle is like: they are definitely a quick and easy option, but there are loads of alternatives out there!
  • SteveDalton
    Options
    I drink at least 2 protein shakes a day sometime 3 since I'm trying to keep my protein intake around 185 grams a day. I'll drink a quality post workout drink with an extra scoop of protein right after my workout like this morning. I also drink one right before I go to sleep avoid my body going into a catabolic state and start breaking down muscle.
    Hope this helps.
  • dalbers
    Options
    I drink at least 2 protein shakes a day sometime 3 since I'm trying to keep my protein intake around 185 grams a day. I'll drink a quality post workout drink with an extra scoop of protein right after my workout like this morning. I also drink one right before I go to sleep avoid my body going into a catabolic state and start breaking down muscle.
    Hope this helps.

Hate to break it to you, if you are in a state of weight loss your body is already in a catabolic state. And if weight loss is your primary goal you are going to have accept some loss of lean mass because being catabolic is where its at. You cannot lose 50 pounds of fat without a little muscle going out the window along the way.

However, the protein at night is still a good thing, as the more you can keep your muscles and lean mass nourished the more likely you are to preserve it despite being catabolic.

You cannot maintain anabolism on a calorie deficit, it defies the laws of physics.
  • FiercelyFit
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :) I have just been using the whey protein powder and milk and it's about 200 calories but I haven't thought about putting other stuff in it like bananas! that would be good. I think I am going to continue to drink them because they fit into my total calories per day and keep me full in the mornings!
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :) I have just been using the whey protein powder and milk and it's about 200 calories but I haven't thought about putting other stuff in it like bananas! that would be good. I think I am going to continue to drink them because they fit into my total calories per day and keep me full in the mornings!

Check out my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RMinVA

I just wrote about my basic smoothie and my favorite variations a couple of days ago.
  • SteveDalton
    Options
    Hope this helps.

Hate to break it to you, if you are in a state of weight loss your body is already in a catabolic state. And if weight loss is your primary goal you are going to have accept some loss of lean mass because being catabolic is where its at. You cannot lose 50 pounds of fat without a little muscle going out the window along the way.

However, the protein at night is still a good thing, as the more you can keep your muscles and lean mass nourished the more likely you are to preserve it despite being catabolic.

You cannot maintain anabolism on a calorie deficit, it defies the laws of physics.

You bring up good points Danny and perhaps my perceptions are flawed, that’s why I’ve decided to plug into the forums.
    Your explanation may explain why these last 20 pounds or so that were my in original goal have been so hard to come off. I have seen a reduction in clothing size from a 42 waist to 36 but I've stayed around 200 lbs for the last 6 weeks or so. My trainer has also upped my caloric intake from 1500 to 2200 on the 5 days I workout which could explain some as well.
    I have gained muscle mass during the last 39 pounds of loss, as evident from the tape measure, and my strength has increased incredibly from my weight training. And to be honest, I'm not as concerned with the actual final weight that I achieve as much as I am with how I look and how I feel.
    Any tips on loosing this last bit of fat around my belly?
  • jarcuri31
    jarcuri31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one protein shake thats around 200 calories a day along with a protein bar yet again around 200 calories i do this in between meals because i try to eat every 3 hours. You dont necessarily have to have a protein shake, im just lazy. You could make for breakfast things like egg whites which are high in protein and i think cheese is too. If your trying to lose fat mass, eating more protein and less carbs will help but be careful you need to drink plenty of water. Our body uses carbs for energy and if we eat carbs we use what we just ate, if we eat protein the body searches for stored energy in fats because it doesnt get that quick energy hype from protein and thats how we lose weight without carbs but still give our body nutrients, but dont cut carbs completely some are good for you. Drink water though! protein makes our liver work harder and it produces more ammonia in our body which is very toxic so flush it out!
  • Yzfdude1
    Yzfdude1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps.

You bring up good points Danny and perhaps my perceptions are flawed, that’s why I’ve decided to plug into the forums.
    Your explanation may explain why these last 20 pounds or so that were my in original goal have been so hard to come off. I have seen a reduction in clothing size from a 42 waist to 36 but I've stayed around 200 lbs for the last 6 weeks or so. My trainer has also upped my caloric intake from 1500 to 2200 on the 5 days I workout which could explain some as well.
    I have gained muscle mass during the last 39 pounds of loss, as evident from the tape measure, and my strength has increased incredibly from my weight training. And to be honest, I'm not as concerned with the actual final weight that I achieve as much as I am with how I look and how I feel.
    Any tips on loosing this last bit of fat around my belly?

Steve,
    The only real sure fire way I know to get that last bit of fat is a really strict diet. By strict I mean you have to really watch what your eating, it's not just about calories. As Danny has explained your body goes through Catabolic and Anabolic phases especially since you are weight training. The upping of your calories that your trainer has you doing can be a good or bad thing depending on where those calories come from. Most bodybuilders will get strict with their "percentages" of the types of calories, protein, carbohydrates and fat. Also remember all carbohydrates are not created equal, but generally too high a percentage of calories from carbs will cause them to be stored as fat.

Here is a link to a very detailed but non scientific article about good carbs and bad carbs (sugars).
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_12_20/ai_98488443/

Here is a link about Catabolic vs. Metabolic states from a body building perspective.
    http://www.bodybuilding-muscle.com/anabolic-vs-catabolic-what-do-these-terms-mean.html
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everything is relative. You would gain weight if it took you over your calorie goal. A shake is fine for breakfast but for me, I want something a little more hearty then I do the shake for lunch. Although when I was in a hurry I have put espresso in the shake instead of water and drank that.