Help Wanted With Late Night Snacking

Options
Heeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppp.I cant stop snacking at night and desperatly need some help and advice with this.Im having breakfast and lunch as normal but then because in so hungry in having dinner around 4.30-5pm.Then by 10-10.30 im picking at stuff (mainly bread). What can i do to avoid this as i feel that im wasting my time at the moment on MFP and am seriously think ing of stopping this unless i can get the snacking problem sorted asap.Can anyone help please as im desperate.:cry:

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Have Breakfast--snack--lunch--snack so that you can wait a little longer for dinner and then after dinner a snack. THree meals and three small snacks. Keeps you from feeling famished in between meals which then leads to overeating at meals. Give it a try.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I agree.. Breakfast.. snack.. lunch.. snack.. Dinner.. which I try to have around 530 6 now.. as this helps avoid the late night snacking.. drink more water when u want a snack.. and just focus... you can do this!! Were all here to help and support you!
    Feel free to add me if you want!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maybe brush your teeth, chew gum, or go to bed - LOL

Try to eat 6 small meals every day--with a nice carb/protein balance to keep your blood sugar from spiking and crashing--this is what causes us to be hungry and crave junk.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I eat breakfast (around 6:30), a snack at 10 am, lunch around 11:30, a snack at 3, and sometimes a snack at 5 if I am working late, then dinner around 7 or 8. It works for me and there is info out there that says eating more often boosts your metabolism. Good luck!
  • tambamit
    Options
    sbwood888 gave some great advice...what i have been doing is having a cup of wheaties with low fat milk and it seems to cure the late night rumbles of the tummy...if all else fails--GO TO SLEEP-- but dont give up! Good Luck to you
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? I was taking Ambien to sleep and it was causing me to snack late at night, after doing some reading increased appetite was one of the side effects. Once I stopped taking it with in a few days I really had no trouble controlling my cravings, but while on it it was crazy!
  • shaunarlr83
    shaunarlr83 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    just want to say I snack every single night, all hours into the night. I try really hard to stay under my goal which is about 1470, sometimes I go over. If I eat more calories early in the day I just work out a little harder so I know I will still have some for my late night hunger cravings. I only weigh in once a month and have been doing this since New Years. On Feb. 1st I had lost a total of 12 lbs. and 12 inches. Sometimes I wake up starving but most days I am not real hungry so I drink a lot of coffee or milk. Quite a few of my calories are liquid some days, until about 10 o'clock that is lol. Don't give up or beat yourself up it is still possible, keep going!!!!!!
  • HappyWith_3
    HappyWith_3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier
    Drink lots of water
    Chewing gum
  • magig
    magig Posts: 5
    Options
    i am also more tempted by food in the evenings. I have 1 hard boiled egg round 7. They are so filling that it helps curb my cravings then I brush my teeth. Brushing my teeth reminds me I am done for the day with food. Don't give up! I have gone up and down with my weight. It took me the entire year of 2010 to lose 20 lbs! Very slow! But I still feel better about myself and hope to lose my last 20 for good, even if it takes all of THIS year to do it! Hang in there!
  • LP4me
    LP4me Posts: 27
    Options
    One more idea......Exercise for a time and then allow yourself that much in calories. :tongue:

If i am hungry in the late evening I use the wii and do 30 min of free step walking. That usually allows me to have a snack AND keep within my goal!! (Also eat vegis! chomp on carrots, celery, broc ect.)

Please don't give up.....Just get creative!!:happy:

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I never used to snack so much at night until I married my husband. He eats all hours of the night and I have absolutely NO will power. You're lucky you only eat bread cuz my hubby would go to McDonald's and get all sorts of naughty things!! Sometimes I'll go to bed kinda feeling hungry, but I have to tell myself that I'm not really hungry and that I just THINK I'm hungry. And if that doesn't work, I just tell myself that the feeling is just the pounds melting away!

Hang in there. Green tea helps to curb my appetite at times. Keep trying!!
  • lisaloo2429
    Options
    I sooo have the same problem. Need more calories during the day I think.