Fibromyalgia?

Options
Does anyone out there have fibromyalgia? I do not have it but my mom does. I want her to join this site because I know she wants to lose weight but I want to find some other people on here with fibro so that she doesn't feel alone. She's quite overweight and has a lot of problems with muscle/joint pain and fatigue. There aren't many exercises she can do but I told her she could start with something slow and low impact. I was looking at some fitness videos for seniors today and although she's not technically a senior yet, I think they workouts would be up her alley.

Anything else you can suggest for my mom? I want her to be motivated and believe that she can shed the weight but I think she's feeling rather hopeless and alone right now because of the issues that she has with fibro that make it hard to work out and get out.

Replies

• MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it 5 years ago ... just tell her to keep in mind you cant push your body.. if youre having a bad day full of pain instead of treadmill or walking I do weights with arms... this site helps you become a better eater .. it will take more time to lose the weight because we cant run on the treadmill and do what others can... but there is hope and joining here is the first step.
  • loser62
    Options
    Hi,yes I have it also and just start today on here hoping it helps I also need to lose the weight and hope it will help I do no that white Bread and Pasta stem off the pain so I try to stay away from them as much as possible. Tell your Mom to give it a go and can't get any worst in the long run
    hope to hear from her .or you
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i don't have fibro, but i do have rheumatoid arthritis, i had a hard time working out in the begining too. i started by using an elliptical, it is very low impact, and easier on the joints, also tai chi is great if you have joint and muscle pain. just don't overdo it, it takes your body longer to adjust to workouts when you have a chronic health condition. tell her don't give up hope :)
  • tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes I have fibromyalgia, have her contact me or friend me if she joins!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia - I even wrote a very cathartic post about it here on MFP because for years I denied that I had it.
    But I do, and it definately affects how I work out but especially how I recover from a workout.

Despite that, I have been able to start with walking, then walking farther, and now I am a runner (ok walk-runner) who has completed a half marathon!

I would strongly suggest two types of videos -- Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds is a great low impact video... also they make chair exercising videos for those days when your legs or back wont allow you to stand.

One thing with fibro that is true but alot of peoplel do not believe -- the more regular exercise you get - the better you will feel. I am stiff the last 3 days from being stiff and sitting in my chair instead of exercising.

Sounds like you love mom -- she will find people on here that can support her too!
  • theresalizotte
    Options
    Yes I have fibromyalgia and I would love to be your Moms friend. It is challenging to loose weight with it however I find that the excercise helps me to move more freely and not have so much pain.. I have three young kids to tend to and one who is handicapped so I figured I better do something to keep me moving.... Good luck to your Mom..........
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My mom has fibromyalgia. She is almost 90 lbs. overweight and has started counting calories and exercising. She isn't on her (she doesn't know how to operate a computer well lol) but I track her food for her etc. Anyways her doctor had her cut all her sugar out of her diet and lower her carbs and since then she doesn't have much muscle fatigue/pain/restless leg syndrome and has a lot more energy. She has started doing modified pilates and that really helps her
  • MR11
    MR11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and SLE....I can understand the pain and sometimes how it can be so hard to move at all...tell her to friend me if she joins....support systems are crucial esp. if you need to vent.
  • heavenrain
    heavenrain Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and working out really helps me. It doesn't take away the pain but it helps.
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have fibromyalgia, It certainly does make it hard to exercise, but we can do it together slowly. Have her contact me or friend me if she joins! :smile:
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I have fibro. My best advice for anyone starting out is to start slowly with just a short walk even if it is just 10 minutes. Then just keep on building by adding in things like water aerobics, yoga, and simple stretching. I can now do several high impact workouts, weight lift, jog, etc, and my body actually craves it. I sleep a million times better! Having a clean diet free of tons of processed food helps out a lot, too. Also, tell her to make sure to listen to her body...yes, we feel tired, but if it just makes things worse, move on to something else her body can handle.Feel free to have her add me if she joins!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH, everyone! What a great response. I really appreciate it!!!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia - I even wrote a very cathartic post about it here on MFP because for years I denied that I had it.
    But I do, and it definately affects how I work out but especially how I recover from a workout.

Despite that, I have been able to start with walking, then walking farther, and now I am a runner (ok walk-runner) who has completed a half marathon!

I would strongly suggest two types of videos -- Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds is a great low impact video... also they make chair exercising videos for those days when your legs or back wont allow you to stand.

One thing with fibro that is true but alot of peoplel do not believe -- the more regular exercise you get - the better you will feel. I am stiff the last 3 days from being stiff and sitting in my chair instead of exercising.

Sounds like you love mom -- she will find people on here that can support her too!

Agreed that exercise really can help in the long term, you just have to work out what you can and can't do when. Losing weight and working out I think have really helped me in the long run. Yes, I get days when I can't do anything, and how I wish I slept better, but for the most part it is better for it. I too run (slowly) and have completed a half marathon, so lots is possible...you just have to start slow and build up.

One thing to remember is that recovery time from exercise might be a little longer than for other people.

I wish your mum all the best,

Erika
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Erika -- how nice it is to see another half marathoner with fibro...
    And I 100% agree with you ... its not that I cant do it during (I can do it just slow) but my recovery time is really what hurts me the most. I do not have a ton of pain, but what I have is very very stiff joints... :)
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and have had for many decades. I am probably about your mom's age. I have struggled to remain active and athletic but have had to make some concessions to the fibro. I refuse to let it beat me. You can succumb to it and let it take over, that's the easy way out. Or you can find ways around it so it doesn't completely stop your life.

If your mother wants some help and support but not sympathy, :wink: feel free to have her friend me.
  • nmaynes
    nmaynes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my mom also had fibromyalgia and has had a huge relief in symptoms by cutting out wheat, dairy, and sugar. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really changed her life and she could do things and be active again. There are a few books published on the link between fibromyalgia and those food--all homeopathic stuff. Anyway, I'm not a huge believer in most homeopathic stuff but the proof was in the pudding for me re: my mom. Hope this helps. Cookbooks available online for help in cutting those foods out. If you look for gluten free, dairy free cookbooks they will usually automatically not have sugar.