Shred and weights

Options
Ok, so I know alot of workout videos/programs use weights. Is that factored in on MFP? For example, when I do the 30 Day Shred, I do it with 5 lb weights. Does this matter? Do I burn more calories with heavier weights? Or is it assumed that that is part of the 'circuit training' (which is what I log it as)?

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    no idea, but a good way to track calories is to use your heart rate monitor, then you can edit it yourself when you type into mfp what exercise you did...
  • lyndisue15
    lyndisue15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30 day Shred too! I also use 5lb weights, because that is what I have at home. To help out with your question, when I take a 'pump and sculpt' class at the gym, the trainer tells us to use the heavier weights (like 8-12lbs, depending on individual strength) that we can do multiple reps with--and if you get too tired, then you go down in weight. That way you also gain more strength. With that being said, you don't want to sacrifice form or risk injury. So do what you're comfortable with--but make sure you are pushing yourself. I imagine heavier weights would burn more calories if your able to do the same amount of reps. Hope I helped!