Feeling tired and lethargic - any tips

Options
Hi everyone

I've started this two weeks ago and cut coffee and energy drinks and reducing my sugar intake to primarily just fruit. For the past couple days I have been feeling tired and lethargic and generally lacking energy to do day to day activities. Can anyone give me tips to get out of this slump or do I just wait it out and let it sort itself out.

Replies

• gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife supplements which give me more energy than I have ever had-but also WATER-lots of water, plus I try to get 7-8 hours sleep at night, and I eat 5-6 times a day which helps keep my sugar level balanced and give me energy all day long.
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are in withdraw. Sugar is a powerful thing. It will pass but make sure that you are eating all of the calories that you are allowed and make them the best calories that you can find. The better the food, the more you can eat and still lose. Hope that helps!!:flowerforyou:
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary it looks like you might not be eating enough. While that sounds like it would be wrong to eat more while trying to lose weight if you don't eat your body wont have the energy it needs to get through the day. I noticed a lot of days you have 600 or so calories left over. MFP already calculated a reduction into your goal calories based on your inputs when you started. So I suggest adding some more healthy calories (almonds or nuts in general are good sources). Try to eat close to your goal and see if you feel any better.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at you carbs intake..? Might need tweaking a bit...

Regards, David
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and water. They have helped me anyway.
  • bafe
    bafe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B is great for energy!!
    Also good for stress. Good for you on cutting the caffeine!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary and see two things. You are staying well below cal goal, which can mean you aren't providing enough fuel. Also, your protein is often way too low. You need to try to get closer to cal goal and definitely up your protein with good, lean sources - chicken, fish, nuts, lowfat dairy, etc. Good luck to you!
  • amgee88
    amgee88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks :D Great tips. Might get some Vitamin B tablets. I'm buying some more almonds tonight so fingers crossed.

Thanks heaps!!
  • remolding
    remolding Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Make sure your getting enough fluids, dehydration can cause fatigue. I would also think your in sugar withdraw? Fruit has natural suger, you need carbs for your brain and for energy. Maybe you have cut out too much all at once? Just a few ideas, hope you keep feeling better each day.:flowerforyou:
  • MkVsTheWorld
    MkVsTheWorld Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't take any vitamins without talking to a physician. While they won't cause any harm if you don't need them, you will more than likely waste money on them. I bet you are going through withdrawal but make sure you are eating enough, up your fluid intake, and spend more time asleep :-).
  • jeronz
    Options
    Thought I'd give some medical input into this discussion.

If you cut out coffee and sugar 2 weeks ago, and you've been fine up to a couple days ago you are unlikely to be in withdrawal. When are the dips of energy in the day? Or is it just a constant tiredness? You are either coming down with something or you should modify your diet

A few points:

There is NO evidence that taking vitamin B tablets increases energy levels, I would recommend not to take them. Save your money.

Looking at your diary: Energy levels is often related to how much carbs you're eating and it doesnt look like you're reaching your goal. Carbs are the main fuel source for your brain. Eat your carbs! And try for more low GI carbs. You seem to have been OK with your carbs generally until the last few days.

Eat a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner.

Make sure you are eating every 3-4 hours

Choose to a. Eat your exercise calories or b. increase calorie goal to take into account exercise.
  • MarcGordon
    MarcGordon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agreed with Jero, slowly ramp you kcals up as u exersize increases like we discussed. Taper you meals around activity you need those complex carbs! (Low Gi) and Simple sugars (Hi GI) after work out.

Eating consistendly each meal containing a carb and a protein.

Are you doing the 4 approved weekly work outs? If you are you can more more towards our kcal goal.
  • amgee88
    amgee88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Marx and Jero. It seemed to be just a 1 dayer that sometimes happens when I guess what Jeremy says - not enough Carbs. I promise I won't get vitamins I also believe they are a waste of money most of the time :) I'm just not used to eating every 4 hours so slowly getting into it. I'm going to do that workout tonight and tomorrow. I did a dance workout on Wednesday and walked quick pace for 2 hours on Tuesday (to and from Ponsonby) Couldn't do anything yesterday as I was at my parents for dinner and didn't get back till 9.

Oh Jeremy - if you're coming on Sunday can you bring Adam's jacket?

See you Sunday Marx