Cool trick for Mommys (and others)

Options
Ok, so I admit, this is a little silly, but it has really helped me out. I've made drastic changes in the way I eat, including healthier foods, smaller portions, better choices for snacks, adding exercise, all the things we all know we are suposed to do. I have had good success, but what I haven't been able to change is my brain. I measure every food when I cook, and every portion before I eat. When I put my food on my plate my eyes tell me it's not enough. I fight the urge to just go ahead and put more on my plate. When I eat slowly and drink plenty of water, the smaller portions are enough now, but I stll can't get my brain to register that I'm full on the smaller amounts. So my new trick?

I've begun eating my meals on my kids small platic divided plates! When I put a 1/2 cup portion of corn on MY plate, it looks like nothing (corn is a weakness of mine), but 1/2 cup of corn fills to brimming one of the small divided sections on the kids' plate. It looks like I have a TON of food. Also, I have to eat slower, especially at the beginning, because I don't want to spill my almost over-flowing portions. I'm actually starting to find that I'm realizing I'm full before I'm finishing the smaller portions!

If you aren't a mommy, and don't already have these plates hanging around (everywhere), they are fairly cheap for a set of three at Walmart, and can probably be picked up at yardsale this coming spring!

Good Luck to everyone, and let me know if it works for you.

Replies

• 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea, and hey, whatever works! Keep up the great work! =)
  • LisaO2008
    Options
    I do the same thing with my food. It doesnt alway work bu it certianly helps:flowerforyou:
  • bhepp
    bhepp Posts: 44
    Options
    That's a good idea. I only use salad plates to make it look like more! I never use dinner plates anymore for the most part!
  • krdonovan
    Options
    You can also use a lunch/sandwich plate. I have them with my set of dishes and that's what I use for a dinner plate. It works.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that dish size matters. We used to have HUGE bowls which made cereal not look like enough, now I have designated "cereal/ice cream" bowls that are the perfect size. I think I saw on food network once that people who ate on smaller plates at lots less at a buffet than people who were given larger ones.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I too use small plates, it really helps! Just remember, no drinking while eating!!!! Wait 30 minutes!
  • Dhinkson
    Dhinkson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ii learned that trick at weight watchers!! It really helps!!
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I have 3 of those plates , I love this idea!
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! Recently, I heard on a podcast I was listening to that the average size of plates has increased by several inches since the 1950s. It was suggested that by using small plates it tricks your brain into thinking you have more food. I had thought about looking for a set of smaller dishes. Silly me never thought to use my son's dishes. :)
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • momofconor
    Options
    That is a great idea and I use my kids smaller plates to eat off of, as well. Hey - whatever works, right?!
  • jen051279
    Options
    I actually just found divided plates at target that don't look like kids ones. A set of 2 were $1.99 Igot these because I don't like my food touching but it is perfect because one divider is a 1/2 cup for veggies and one is 1/4 for startch then the section for my meat.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm a paper plate girl but this is a great idea! I think I need to invest in some kids plates! We used to have some when my kids were younger but not anymore. :(
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    I use a small lunch plate myself, with a kid size fork ! Whatever works--use it, I say !
  • kayadahn
    kayadahn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! I'm picturing a bunch of skinny mommys sitting around the table eating off their kids' divided plates! Glad I'm not the only one!
  • an_peugh
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! It's a great idea! i've had such problems with "eyes being bigger than stomach" since i started this 2 wks ago, maybe this will help!