Temper, temper

Options
I need help!!! I succumbed to my nasty temper AGAIN today. Arrrrrgh. I keep thinking and believing that my temper will be so much better once I lose weight. Is this true? Right now, I am very low energy, which means that we are usually running late, my house isn't as clean and organized as I would like it to be, and that I generally feel crappy most of the time. I picture my life once I am slim, and see a woman who's put together, on time and who doesn't have to spend so much time searching for things all the time. These stressors put me on edge and cause me to become irritated much easier than I think they normally would. PLEASE tell me this will get better as I lose this annoying extra weight?! PLEASE?!?!?! Or am I just making excuses....

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Just wondering.
    I do find that I lose it a bit less with the kids.... I'm hoping once my thyroid meds kick in a bit more it'll be even better. I just found out I have a lazy thyroid. Explains a lot.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, no, losing weight will not solve any of your problems. I have lost 100 pounds and am still, firstly, unhappy with myself, and secondly, crazy and insecure. I also have a temper which hasn't abated as I've lost the weight. I know this is harsh and not what you want to hear, but I have realised that I need to be working on more than my appearance. We all do.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Honestly.. I found that the more I workout and the better I eat the more energy I have in the run of a day.. therefore I get the laundry and all the chores done and I am less cranky... so maybe its not all excuses.. but I know when I cheat on the occasional day my energy is gone and my nerves you follow!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    interesting question..
    for me it was sorta the reverse... last fall i sorta decided to finally take back control of things i had let get out of control, like housework, like major sorting, trashing, finding a place for things ... both materially and financially taking control back again with no excuses, and regardless of what others in my house or life were doing.

Oddly i found that as i started to feel i was regaining control of the my other 'stuff', i started to WANT to get more control of 'me' as well!.. Emotions, weight, health *S*

i do think the two areas go hand in hand... and it's all about control.

Will one follow the other naturally? i guess my short answer would be.. yes.. regardless of where you start, just taking control of one lil thing at a time seems to lead to getting the ball rolling and before you know it your life starts to feel much more 'in order' *S*

good luck! *S* it's worth it.
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't know yet because I'm still trying to lose. But, I do know that I'm more even emotionally when I'm working out consistently. I'm in a better mood and therefore my temper doesn't get out of control as often. Something else that worked even better for my mood swings and energy levels was getting rid of gluten and sugar. But that won't be the case for everyone.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    In Australia we have a saying: "Harden the *bleep* up" and it makes sense most of the time. BUT, if you have genuine clinical depression then no amount of tough love is going to help you out of it.

If you think it's depression (look up the symptoms online) then go see a doctor about it. I'd avoid being put on any anti-depressant drugs but I understand that the alternative, counselling, can be expensive.

The best case is that you go to a doctor and he/she doesn't diagnose you with clinical depression. Then at least you know that you can pull yourself out of it without medical help.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    These guys are right.

1. Get a good, thorough work-through to make certain nothing is physically or mentally wrong.
    2. If it's just your anger, get up and fix whatever is making you mad. If it's a messy house, clean. If it's not working out enough, get up and do it. Because if you're just being lazy (trust me, I am a pissed off, lazy person who has lost 40+ pounds), then you get up and you do it.

And finally, remember, MFP is here. We're full of loving, supportive people. (But here if you really need tough love, I will be mean.) :smile:
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I think I am going to go see the DR. I have had problems with my thyroid on and off since I was a teenager, so that could be part of it. I really, REALLY appreciate it!!!