How often should I exercise?

Options
Should I be exercising 7 days a week or is it good to give your body a rest during the week?

Replies

• feliciapeters
    Options
    ive been trying to do 4-5 days, i do a full owrkout twice a week, and i mix up cardio ( bike) and strength the rest of the time. i give myself 2 days off to rest & frankly, so i dont burn out on it. i've lost 7lbs in 2 weeks so im happy, but you have to see what works to you
    it may be better to work out slowly at first. your gym may have a free hour with the trainer, you should ask, or if you see them on the floor most will be happy to answer questions for you
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    If you can handle 7 days a week, go for it..but it is a good idea to take a days rest. :smile:
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    two days rest is good either together or seperated. If your lifting don't work same body parts 2 days in a row.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Rest days are necessary just like workout days. When I lost my weight, I'd exercise 5-6 days a week.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Depends on how hard you work out. If your just walking or doing a little run then 7 would be fine. But if you work out to the point of exhaustion, then you should definitely give your body a day off. Otherwise you are at risk of injury. Also, workouts break down the body, so your immune system may be compromised if you go at it too hard. That would suck if you got sick and had to miss a whole week!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    I exercise every day of the week personally. Obviously strength training, your muscles need recovery. But cardio is an every day thing, you shouldn't need more than a 24 hour period to recover from doing cardio, since your body is designed to move about like that every day. If you're just starting out, then sure your joints or muscles might be sore from not using them in a while.
  • jpmajors
    Options
    I believe you should do something every day. 4 of those cardio work outs should be at a higher intensity pushing the envelope so to speak. The idea is to not only work out but also to get into the habit of working out.

Good luck
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I work out 4 sometimes 5 days a week.. with friday's off..and if I work out Sat then I take off Sunday, if I take Saturday off then I work out sunday
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day of the week personally. Obviously strength training, your muscles need recovery. But cardio is an every day thing, you shouldn't need more than a 24 hour period to recover from doing cardio, since your body is designed to move about like that every day. If you're just starting out, then sure your joints or muscles might be sore from not using them in a while.

I agree with this. If I have a super, super hard yoga workout where all my muscles in my body are screaming, I will take a break, possibly go for a walk. Maybe take it easy. What happens is that to deal with stress and to feel good, working out no longer becomes a chore, but a desire.

Enjoy!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm in the every day camp. But, I believe there should be light days. Yoga, stretching, just a light walk. I also don't believe if you are sore, achy, or tender you should work out too hard, make those your rest days. Just getting back into exercise it is easy to go at it full speed ahead and get injured or muscle fatigue which knocks you off your plan.