muscle and joint pain while dieting

Options
I have a question. I have been dieting for close to four weeks now. I exercise but not regularly. In week two I started having joint pain in the knees. This lasted a week or so and went away. Now I am having pain in the upper arm muscles. Is this just my body getting used to the new diet or am I missing something? I am 39 and pretty healthy.

Replies

• VialOfDreams
    Options
    If you're experiencing joint pain in the knee, go see your doctor, and avoid running.

As for the upper arm muscle, if you experience pain after workouts, it's likely due to lactate buildup. Have a protein shake within 45 minutes of strength training, and try to do strength training about 3 times a week. (Not more than that.)
  • Wendy72
    Options
    Are you taking a multivitamin? You might be in need of something you're not getting from food. Drink lots of water too. Otherwise, you might want to check with your doctor.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I had experience with joint pain--not from working out. And I took a multivitamen. I don't know the cause, but I do know that I take one glucosamine every day and that fixes everything.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water?

Also coconut or fish or flax oil can help with joint pain...it lubricates the joints.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    hmmm, could just be coincidental---use some ice for a few days on the areas; otherwise, I'd suggest seeing your doctor.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I also take glucosamine, 2 a day as I had the same problem. I get very sore knees and feet. :)
  • kareokemom5
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Everything I have researched and the suggestions are pointing toward a multivitamin. It does not feel like the pain that you get from over doing it so I was hoping to figure out if I could include something in my diet that would help. I also know that most likely I have a vitamin B12 deficiency. I don't know if that would be the reason but I hear it causes a lot of things like premature greying, mood swings, and effects metabolism.