Medical Conditions, Diet and Exercise...And I don't mean loo

Options
So how do you manage a chronic condition along with weight loss? I have hidradenitis (do NOT google while eating, you've been warned), and a major flare up has grounded me for the day and I hope not the week! The antibiotics mess up alot and working out on pain meds is no fun! So what do you do when you want to work out, you need to work out, but you can't really get off the couch or go far?

Maybe I should shadow box like to people on Biggest Looser! The bonus is that I have less of an appetite!

Thoughts?

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Biggest Looser...I just got a HORRIBLE visual. All loose and stuff :laugh:

I will google that condition, I have never heard of it. I hope you find relief soon? Is that possible? :indifferent: Chronic conditions are so difficult...

I do not work out. I had a chronic issue, but it was resolved (surgery for endometriosis..no more pain!) but...I did clean a lot and bike ride...
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I just googled it. WOW...looks sooooo painful :( I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :(:(
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up on google and read quite a bit.

I am by no means a doctor, but I don't think you should be doing anything that will cause you to perspire since this is an inflammation of the sweat ducts. You want to make sure you keep the area free of anything else causing a secondary infection would be my guess.

You may be able to do some light walking - maybe. But frankly, I think the best advice to you is to let your body rest and heal itself so you can be back to 100% sooner. Don't worry about losing some time exercising in the short term, focus on getting yourself better so you can get back to exercising in the long term.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Curiousity made me look it up. It sounds like you need to be careful with exercise in general. I also guess it depends how widespread the problem is right now. You may want to consider doing exercise that does not aggravate the affected area but still do something (if it is localized). You could also consider lower impact activities or even simply lifting weights if this is possible. Bear in mind that you can continue to lose weight even without exercise as long as you have a caloric deficit. Hope you feel better soon!
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    What does your doc say about water exercises? Could you find a local pool and swim or do water aerobics? Then maybe because your not "sweating" it won't flare up? Just a thought.

- Lisa
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I hope this inflammation ends soon for you. I am not a doctor, but googled your condition, and imagine it must be painful when it flares up.

Just so you know, you don't have to workout to lose weight. Let me repeat that, you don't have to workout to lose weight. The vast majority of your weight loss is because of diet, not exercise. Exercise can help, and it will strengthen your body, heart and lungs, but it is not necessary for you to lose weight. In this case, until the flare up goes away I would suggest, as one who is not a doctor, to not worry about working out, instead concentrate on diet and getting well.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have a connective tissue disorder (I won't get in to the specifics because that's a long ol' post..) but it affects most things... my heart/lungs/skin/joints etc. At worst strenuous exercise can kill, at best my joints swell and cripple and i'm helping myself get early onset arthritis. The past few years have been hard in terms of learning what my body is capable of, how far I want to push it knowing the likely consequences and ultimately, knowing when to stop. I've been given guidelines by my GP and cardiologist and then the best advice I was given was to pretty much figure it out myself within those guidelines. It's taken a long time but I now know how much I can do without hurting myself. I've lost the majority of my weight without exercise. I am now what you would consider 'skinny fat' and know i need to tone. So i've started walking, i don't allow my heart rate to speed up too much and have just added some ab work, just a few minutes every other day. I won't ever be built or running marathons but i'll take what I can get!

If that means for yourself that you need to take time from exercising to give your body a break, then that's what you need to do! It certainly won't set you back, not in the long term! Good luck and I hope you get some respite soon!
  • HW2Hottie
    Options
    WOW!! Thank you all for responding, I wanted to drop in and say thanks for the information and suggestions. Yes, it is VERY painful, I have chilled out this evening and did a little yoga earlier. I am going to rest a little more and expand on this later.

Good Night, I am beat.
  • HW2Hottie
    Options
    Ok, now that I am semi-lucid, I can write. :) Constant pain will zap you!

My doctor doesn't really have objections to me exercising because I don't have sweat glands under my arms anymore so I sweat other places to cool my body. The upside is I no longer have to shave under my arms..the downside is that I need two towels when I work out because my head is dripping. Normally I wear spandex under my shorts to keep things from rubbing together. As bad as it is, I will say this is the first major breakout I have had in 6 months which is a miracle. There is no rhyme or reason as to when it comes, they just show up.

I will try the swimming, but have to be careful about public pools and open wounds. You don't want staph or MRSA trust me. Hence why I wipe the machines down BEFORE I use them.

Weights I can do! Didn't think of that one, because then nothing is really getting bothered...thanks.

Thank you guys so much for responding and for those who sent private messages. I know that people with HS normally suffer in silence because who really wants to admit they have something like this! Plus its so rare that most don't know anyone else with it.

I appreciate the reminders about loosing without working out. I did come close to 1200 without working out. I guess I will try and stay under the next few days while I rest this leg. It just jacks up my routine, especially while I was hitting a good stride.

Thanks Again!