HRM frustations

Options
I bought a HRM over the weekend since I've been having trouble guestimating the number of calories I'm burning while taking my exercise classes. I got a New Balance Pearl Fitness monitor with the chest strap for $70. I like the idea of having a constant reading from the chest strap vs having to stop and manually take your pulse with the wrist heart rate monitors.

It worked great when I worked out on Monday night; it had a constant reading and gave me a reasonable estimate on calories burned. BUT last night it wasn't working so well at all. I had one heck of a time just trying to get a reading of my heart rate, but as soon as I got one, it was gone. And half the time it wasn't even correct. My heart was pounding very fast from working out and the watch said my heart rate was only 90. And as I type this, it says my heart rate is 34. Oh scratch that, now it says it's 226.

So my question is... am I likely having troubles with this one because it was "cheap" or could it suddenly be defective after working correctly for 24 hours?

Edit: sorry, I just noticed my typo in the subject line! oops :)

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Get the batteries changed in the strap and the receiver Go from there..
  • Kelleinna
    Options
    I don't know about yours, but the chest strap on mine (which is a polar FT4) keeps getting knocked out of place by the band of my bra whenever I do anything involving jumping (like, say, jumping jacks on 30DS) and then either doesn't read my heart rate at all or gives me a ridiculous number like 39 when it was 161 a minute ago. Quite frustrating...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My FT4, I have to wet the probes before I wear it, does yours require this. I am not even sure why I hve to do this, but I always do because thats what the directions say. I would not call yours cheap. My FT4 was 90.

Good luck.
  • fiercegoddess
    Options
    There could be something wrong with the one you bought (bad batch) or maybe the way you were moving made it difficult for the thing to get a reading. I have one that goes on my wrist. Once it gave me weird readings. I guess that's just technology.
  • HiLaRbEaN
    Options
    My FT4, I have to wet the probes before I wear it, does yours require this. I am not even sure why I hve to do this, but I always do because thats what the directions say. I would not call yours cheap. My FT4 was 90.

Good luck.

Yeah I do have to wet it, although it says to use saliva if there isn't any sweat, but definitely not to use water.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'd take it back. Maybe try switching it out for a new one - maybe that one is defective. Then look into a Polar or a Garmin
  • lisapisa1
    Options

Good luck.

Yeah I do have to wet it, although it says to use saliva if there isn't any sweat, but definitely not to use water.

UHhhhhhhhhhh, please tell me you do not spit on your chest strap or work up a sweat to moisten it. If you watch the tutorial on the Polar website it shows you how to set it up and put it on. In the video they wet the strap from the faucet of a sink. You can use water.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Yes - you can definitely wet the Polar in the designated spots. Just takes a quick run under the faucet, and it is ready to go. Wetting the electrodes helps to make a better connection with the skin for reading your heart rate.
  • BritanyV
    Options
    Definitely try replacing the batteries on both the watch and the band.

I'm on my 3rd HRM and I'm pretty sure they just all suck...it doesn't matter what brand or how much they cost! I keep returning the ones I buy and upgrading to a different brand or higher price and they all do the same thing you are describing.

I'm going to try to find out where to buy the conducting gel (or whatever it is called, it's the stuff they use when you get an ultrasound done) and try that.
  • lisapisa1
    Options
    Definitely try replacing the batteries on both the watch and the band.

I'm on my 3rd HRM and I'm pretty sure they just all suck...it doesn't matter what brand or how much they cost! I keep returning the ones I buy and upgrading to a different brand or higher price and they all do the same thing you are describing.

I'm going to try to find out where to buy the conducting gel (or whatever it is called, it's the stuff they use when you get an ultrasound done) and try that.

Check Amazon.com searching for electrode cream/gel
  • HiLaRbEaN
    Options

Good luck.

UHhhhhhhhhhh, please tell me you do not spit on your chest strap or work up a sweat to moisten it. If you watch the tutorial on the Polar website it shows you how to set it up and put it on. In the video they wet the strap from the faucet of a sink. You can use water.

It's not a Polar, it's a New Balance. And the instructions specifically say "do not use water to moisten"