Wii Fit

Options
I was thinking about getting the Wii Fit. I am still debating the subject because I know little about it, I hope you can give me your opinions on this.

Is it effective?
Do you get bored of it after a month and never use it again?
What are the best workout/games?
Has anyone tried the advanced step aerobics?

Should I get one?

Thank you for your opinions.
<3

Replies

• Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use mine every day, but mostly just to weigh myself. I love the balance games and some of the workouts, though. The only problem I had with it for consistent work-outs is the time it takes to switch between activities.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I mainly use the fit to weigh myself, it keeps track of it and it's pretty consistent.

as far as wii games, I loooove EA Active, and it's compatible with the fit board
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I feel the same. I like the wii fit, like the activities but don't like the pause time to choose the next activity.
  • mrskern06
    mrskern06 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii Fit Plus. I got it for Christmas!

I use the Free Run practically every day! I kind of don't like the fact that it weighs you every day. I get sidetracked by the fact that my weight fluctuates daily!!

I like some of the balance games and the plus games!

I have only used the Wii Fit so I don't know how it compares to the other game consoles!

Good Luck! Hope this helps!
  • heather19th
    Options
    I love the Wii Fit. I do the advanced step and watch Biggest Loser as Im doing it so I can do it for 2 hrs and not even think twice about it. Well little less than that bc we have DVR so I go fast through commercials.
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    I checked the Wii Fit out as best as I could, but wasn't very impressed with it. But I have to confess that everyone i spoke with had all positive reviews.

For Valentines', my DH got me the Xbox with Kinect. It's rather cool. The Kinect watches you as you work out so it enables you to do more. Essentially, the games 'watch' you and let you know how you're doing. With the EA Sports game/band/heart monitor that he also bought, i can ride down a dirt trail, dodge balls, etc. The closer you are to what you are supposed to be doing, the more points you get. There are a few videos on You Tube you should watch.

The negative: sometimes the workouts ask you to lay on the floor - for pushups, plank pose, crunches, etc. The Kinect had a hard time 'seeing' me.

Note: You really have to pay attention to the voice - what it tells you to do. Following the verbal directions will improve your game performance.

Overall recommendation? I've had it for less than a week, and still like it quite a lot. It's no substitute for the real thing - a good workout in a gym, or zumba class, etc, but it's definitely better than not doing anything on days when you can't get to the gym.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit got old quick. I use to have the original Biggest Loser game and recently upgraded to new addition that came out. It is VERY effective and you can use it with or without the balance board. The original one helped me lose 34 lbs last year. Cant speak about the new one yet. Haven't had it long.

I haven't tried it put I hear the Just Dance games are fun and an awesome workout.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1)It is effect in the concept that you are moving instead of sitting on the sofa.
    2) Like all things yes you get board so buy a few different games to switch things up.
    3) I like the wii fit games and a ski game
    4) I have tried the dance aerobic and rhythm and they can both be fun once you get he hang of it.
    5) Well I do not use mine as much as I did at first. It all depends if you are going to stick with it or not. Buy it if you will and don't waste your money if you will not. There are more games you can use it with then just fitness games.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Get the Wii, get EA Active, and then get EA Active More Workouts....LOVE it and a fantastic workout!!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My take on it, if you're just starting ot with exercise, might be good??

I wasted my money on it, used it like 3 days and didn't get much of a calorie burn at all. Now it sits collecting dust!
    I'll stick to my ellip, treadmill, bike and 30 DS. Even 30 DS is getting to the point it doesn't turn in much for cals. burnt.

Maybe buy a used one or find a friend to test it before you might end up wasting money like I did.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I use mine every day, but mostly just to weigh myself. I love the balance games and some of the workouts, though. The only problem I had with it for consistent work-outs is the time it takes to switch between activities.
    u can put together a routine under my routines-myfit
    i do a whole stength/yoga routine 3x a week
  • naebear99
    Options
    I've had it for about two years, and haven't used it much. However, I'm now using it as a way to get in a workout the days I simply haven't found time for anything else. I haul out that or Let's Dance and spend 20 minutes or half an hour doing that so that at least I've done SOMETHING. I also don't like the fact it takes time to change activities, but again, I only use it when the option is to know I've spent the entire day without doing anything physical.
  • sambolinafrank
    sambolinafrank Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say the wii fit work outs aren't intense enough to get you into fat burning zone. You'd be far better buying the just dance games - plus the micheal Jackson one - which really gets your heart rate up. Maybe buy a heart rate monitor that can tell you the calories you burnt as those games don't.

However, for the best results, I thoroughly recommend getting to a gym or running outside, do intervals of a minute fast and a minute recovery at a slightly slower speed. You can do that on treadmill, elliptical/cross trainer, bike - anything! Keeps your body burning fat for longer than just cardio at one speed. If you get some dumbells and improve your muscle, your body will also burn more calories even just at rest.

Hope this helps x
  • Tracey_1966
    Options
    I've had the wii for a few years now and definitely don't use the games etc as much as when new but I still love wii Golds Boxing, use that about 4-5 times a week. Always gets a real good sweat up and I feel like I've accomplished something.

I've also got wii fit, ea active and biggest loser but confess don't use any of those any more though I did used to really enjoy the step ones.

You need to find a friend with one gathering dust so you can try it out for yourself for a wee while!