Diet Pop

Options
I tried to see if maybe someone else had posted about this but couldn't find it... I'm on my phone and it's slow and choppy so please excuse me if it's a repeat I would still appreciate your help.

Since I'm counting calories and I have an addiction to mt.dew the obvious choice for me was diet pop. I've had people say the bad effects aren't anything to worry about. I've had people say it causes cancer, but really what doesn't these days.... My question is simply (I had a friend tell me today it did) is diet pop actually causes you to gain weight. Any truth behind that?

Replies

• vballer21
    Options
    I don't have a definite answer, but I used to be hooked on diet coke, and I found it made me really hungry. Like all the time, even if I had just had a huge meal, I would be craving any kind of food I could get my hands on. I'm not sure why....but I switched to water recently and it has changed drastically. I definitely blame the diet coke. It must have some chemical in it that made me hungry! Just my personal experience.
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    i was a heavy mt dew drinker, now i have switched to coffee for my caffine, and try to drink more water. I find that if i drink ice cold water from the fridge its easier for me to drink.

I suggest you get rid of all pop out of the house and only have it when you go out or ect for a treat
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I don't know studies about diet pop causeing you to gain weight, however I do know my Naturopathic Doctor says that if your going to drink any pop it should be regular due to the side effects that Aspartame can cause.
    I personally was addicted to pop and decided to use diet to help quit pop, I at first hated the taste of diet pop so it made quitting quite easy. Sometimes I broke down had clubsoda and added some juice to it, which helped as well. Now I drink pop only if I'm going out for dinner and I don't feel like a coffee, Usually I also ask for lemon water and alternate sip of pop, sip of water ( you get the idea).
    I say everything is good in moderation, if your addicted to mt. dew start weening yourself off slowly. I know you can do it and if you have a set back dont beat yourself up about it, tomorrow is another day.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Myself I find it hard to go a day without some sort of caffeinated drink, so I too switched to either the Zero calorie type for soda (or pop as you call it). Or low carb, zero calorie energy drinks. And increased the amount of water I drink. I was going to start drinking juice instead, but was surprised at how many calories and carbs 1 serving of juice has in it.
    Vitamin Water or Sobe Life Water ( the zero Calorie) is a good alternative too.

As far as will you gain weight for sure by drinking diet soda? I don't know. You won't lose weight by just switching to diet soda and not adjusting any of your other eating habits. You know, like people you see at the fast food joint ordering the triple cheeseburger with the large fries, and a diet soda defeats the purpose.

My personal experience is, that since I started cutting back my soda intake and started drinking more water or other low calorie/low carb drinks, I lost weight. I dare say that I saw about 5 pounds come off in a week just by watching what I drink.

Sorry for the long reply.
    Good luck with your goals
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I heard a story on the news that said diet pop will stimulate a craving for sugary things. So even though the pop itself is calorie-free, it could lead you into other bad food choices. And yes, there are many other negative effects of drinking diet pop on a regular basis. If you can't cut it out completely, try to limit them to 1-2 cans per week.
  • EecakYelsom17
    Options
    I guess my thing is I can give it up... I went through the migraines when I first gave up mountain dew and I know I can cut myself off again but since I've completely lowered (almost cut in half) my calorie intake I dont wanna give up pop all together. It's my one treat to enjoy at dinner daily. I know sometimes diets require you to do what you don't wanna , I get all that... But if just counting calories will make u lose weight shouldn't a zero calorie drink be a good choice? Or am I just being stupid?
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    just because it has zero calories doesn't mean its good for you
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    Moderation is what you need to go for. It is okay to have a soda with dinner or lunch.
    It is probably a bad idea to drink soda throughout the day.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking all soda and I can feel a difference in myself! I drink milk, coffee, unsweetened tea and water. I choose not to drink soda cause I'm a coca cola addict and one leads to many lol.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking nothing but soda, 5 + a day (coke) to drinking Pepsi Max 2x a day. Now I get in one a day if that. Once I started drinking all this water there was just no room for any more liquids.

I did not gain any weight with the switch from regular Coke to Pepsi Max though. I found it to be different for me, if I was craving something sweet, I would drink that and it would aleviate the craving.

I dont drink coffee often, I think I am allergic to the bean if you can believe it! So I have basically cut out caffeine completely without even meaning to. :flowerforyou:
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I had recently met with a naturopath and told her all about my food and drink choices. She wasn't even worried about the vodka I drink, the only thing she wanted me to change this month was cutting out diet pop and anything made with spenda/ aspertame or any other fake sugar.
  • sassareno
    sassareno Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm glad somebody brought up this topic, because it's been on my mind recently too. Although I think I'm kind of in the opposite situation-- I used to rarely drink soda at all, and when I did, it was usually regular coke or Dr. Pepper. But now that I'm trying to cut calories and limit my junk food (especially snacks at night), I've found that drinking diet soda helps trick my mind into thinking it's eating something, even though I'm just drinking. I find the carbonation very satisfying, and it takes me awhile to get through a 12-oz can, whereas when I eat a snack, I'm likely to scarf it down in a matter of seconds.

I do worry about all the chemicals. I've been drinking one 12-oz can of diet ginger ale almost every day, and sometimes 2 cans. I don't want to replace one bad habit (snacking on junk food) with another (drinking diet soda), but also at this point, I feel like I need to just get my eating habits under control. Maybe when I feel more in control about that, I can start to phase out diet soda. Maybe others think this isn't really a good plan, but I think it's right for me.

I was talking with a friend yesterday, and she and I both talked about how drinking soda actually makes us drink more water, because it makes us thirstier. Kind of weird, but I'm guessing it does help with hydration.

I try to drink the 0-calorie flavored carbonated water, but I really love carbonation, and all the brands I've tried get flat REALLY quickly. Maybe I can find some that comes in cans? Any recommendations? Or is that stuff just as bad as diet soda?
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've gotten real boring. Only drinking Coffee, Almond Milk and Water - gave up alcohol (until St. Patty's day :-) I have also read that the sweetness in diet products can stimulate your appetite same as having a full sugar drink. I think if you can't give it up you might want to restrict it to a few a week. Good luck.