what do you bring for lunch?

gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I'm starting a new (normal) job in a week where I'll be working 10-6 (yay no more night shift!) so I was wondering if you guys had any healthy work-lunch suggestions. What do you guys usually eat for lunch when at work?

Replies

• I usually make a nice salad with either tuna or chicken and load up on the raw veggies I use Newman's Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing which i really like. Or I go to subway and get a 6inch subway club with most veggies and light mayo no oil and a diet coke.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    I like to bring a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, and then some kind of raw vegetable or fruit on the side. I'll also sometimes bring leftovers if I have them. I know a lot of people will bring frozen meals, so that's always an option too (as long as you have access to a freezer).
  • I bring a couple of snacks, such as almonds, boiled eggs, string cheese and/or yogurt - and I always pack a salad and a protein shake for my main meal.
  • I make myself a wrap. I use the 100 calorie wraps. A slice of low-fat provolone. One serving of turkey lunchmeat. A handful of broccoli-slaw (right outta the bag, no dressing/mayo). Some of those dehydrated, fried onions. Shake some Tapatio hot sauce on it. Stick it in the toaster oven. Delicious. And under 300 calories.

I leave all of the stuff at work. I just put it together there. That way I don't have to lug my lunch in everyday.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    I do slim fast, an apple, and baby carrots
  • I make up a batch of soup on a weekend and bring a serving of that to heat up - yummy! I also bring a few pieces of fruit and some carrot sticks to munch on when I get hungry before lunch. I always find that having bread at lunchtime makes me sleep afterwards, and you get that dreaded 2-3pm slump! Soup or salad avoids this for me.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    these all sound so yummy!! thanks so much guys :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    I eat all kinds of different things for lunch. Soups, leftovers from dinner, sandwiches, etc. The ONE constant for me is that every afternoon as a snack I have a Deep Chocolate Vitatop. :love:
  • jalyner
    jalyner Posts: 172 Member
    I started pairing protiens with carbs as a balance, and it's really helped. Something like Tuna on a salad. I try to avoid breads as carbs and eat veggies as carbs. They both turn to sugar, but you can eat A LOT more of the veggies than you can bread. And I LOVE bread...I eat it, but more sparingly now. I chew gum after lunch when I still want to snack. It's helped!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    I'm big on bring last night dinner for lunch the next day; they heat up really well. If I don't have that as an option will whip up a salad with fresh veggies and light dressing. Another go to favorite of mine is spaghettie squash and sauce. I cook up the squash, fork out the insides, and save for later. This makes for a quick prep when I'm running late for work. I also keep a stash of apples, oranges, pear, grape, etc on hand for a quick an easy snack. I haven't had a frozen meal in over 6 months; instead I keep a zip lock bag of oatmeal in my desk in case I forget my lunch, I then make it in the microwave. Cans of soup are another great option, just grab and go.
  • - Tuna on a sandwich thin with a yogurt

- Lean cuisines or Healthy Choices - watch the sodium though!

-Barilla Whole Grain pasta has no sodium and 2 oz is 200 calories. Make it the night before at home and bring some in for lunch and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. I bring in leftover ground hamburger to put on top sometimes as well. No sauce.

A lot of deli meats are high in sodium as well.

- a salad is always nice but, watch the sodium and calories in some dressings!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Kangaroo Pita Pocket (90cal) with 2oz roasted turkey, spinach, red peppers, mustard and 11g of miracle whip light. Or I will make a salad with romaine lettuce and spinach, red & green peppers, onion, sunflower seeds & feta cheese.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    I usually bring a sandwich with some veggies, cheese and something sweet for dessert (Like a yogurt). I also always pack a snack for the morning and the afternoon. Usually a string cheese for the afternoon and a banana or orange for the morning.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    you can check out my diary for today if you want...i had to pack all meals except for breakfast to bring with me to school!
This discussion has been closed.