NICE low fat cheese?

Options
Hiya all,

I'm not doing so good on my weight loss, mainly due to LOVING cheese haha! Has anyone found a NICE low fat cheddar cheese?

I tried WW's and it was disgusting I had to throw it straight out!!!

I'm afraid cutting cheese out of my diet is just never gonna work, I love it too much!

So I'd be really grateful if anyone has any suggestions for me to try

Thanks Rhiannon :-)

Replies

• Franticantics
    Options
    Personally i like the ww cheese, but i only have it melted on veg so i guess that hides a lot of sins, however, i LOVE Leerdammer emmental light slices http://www.leerdammer.co.uk/leerdammer_slices.html
    I can't tell a difference in taste between that and the normal one :)
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Be good to yourself do some nice mozerella and feta...can't tell they're low fat.
    Have you tried Lowlow cheddar? that's also quite good. I'm a cheese lover too...
    x
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Hiya all,

I'm not doing so good on my weight loss, mainly due to LOVING cheese haha! Has anyone found a NICE low fat cheddar cheese?

I tried WW's and it was disgusting I had to throw it straight out!!!

I'm afraid cutting cheese out of my diet is just never gonna work, I love it too much!

So I'd be really grateful if anyone has any suggestions for me to try

Thanks Rhiannon :-)

Low fat cottage cheese. I eat it all the time. Country fresh or spartan. Also lowffat mozzarella shredded or string chesse. The harder the cheese the more fat is in it. So stick to the softer kind
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ah I dont really care for leerdammer, I love mature cheddar, or extra mature cheddar . . . I don't really think leerdammer tastes of much at all. I might give that LOWLOW a try :-/
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Cathedral City lighter is OK - not as good as proper cheese, but probably the most acceptable out of the low fat cheddars out there. At least it doesn't bounce like the WW one does!
  • PumpkinDuncan
    PumpkinDuncan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Cabot's Reduced Fat Cheddars. They have a 50% Reduced Fat and a 75% Reduced Fat and a few Reduced Fat Flavored Cheddars (like jalapeno). The 50% is better but the 75% isn't bad at all. Their website will help you find it in your area, or you can order it.

Cracker Barrel Reduced Fat Cheddar is good too (the brand made by Kraft not the restaurant). I like how sharp their Cheddars are and the Reduced Fat doesn't suffer in taste much at all.
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Kerry low fat mature cheddar is lovely. It's still high in cals but if you eat it wisely it's better than no cheese!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese everyday. For shredded, I go for Kraft made with part skim (some packages say 2% milk). It tastes close to the "real" thing and it isn't too high in calories when eaten in moderation.

I never eat fat free cottage cheese because it's got lots of sugar, but just like others have said the low fat (2% or 1%) is great. I personally use Breakstone's brand because that's the kind of "fat full" cheese I used to get.

I also like the Kraft singles of fat free sharp cheddar. I have those on top of burgers that I make from 96% lean ground beef and it's like a "normal" cheeseburger.

I have heard so many great things about Laughing Cow cheese, but I never bought it because even though it is low cal and low fat, it appears to be high sugar to me...and that's worse than the fatty kind for me since diabetes runs in the family. I don't have the disease, but I am not giving it a chance to settle in, either. :flowerforyou:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ilike the low fat catherdral city chedar too. Or do you like strong cheeses? If so a little bit of strong cheese goes a long way so you don't need as much and therefore the cals are lower.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    Low fat halloumi is nice, aswell as low fat mozzarella and feta, i can count for the sainsbury be good to yourself range and the asda low fat, but dont know about others!
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    oh yeah I forgot about the low fat halloumi...that's really nice too!
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    ooh I love halloumi!!! . . . thanks everyone, I will write all of these down and see if my local supermarket has any of them in. definitely need to change to something 'better for me' lol ...... reading about all this cheese is making me want some though!

Rhiannon x
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Sainsburys do all of them... x
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am a cheese lover as well and my answer was to exercise enough to allow for the calories. I can't give up my cheese either, I'd rather do 30 more minutes of exercise and have my delious cheese. IDK maybe not the best answer but it works for me.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love goat cheese, it is very healthy, lower calorie than most cheeses just by nature, and delicious!
  • CharleneN
    CharleneN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MMMM...cheese! If you ask my hubby & kids how important cheese is they'll tell you that it helps make the world go round! =) We are from WI originally and so cheese & brats are my GIGANTIC downfall. Extra sharp & Swiss are my absolute favorites..mmm...oh gosh how I can't get by without it. When I REALLY want cheese I plan my entire day's meal around the cheese, sound dumb -maybe, but it works for me AND I get the real cheese I want. I haven't found any low fat / no fat that doesn't taste rubbery and yuck to me. Good luck finding one that meets up to real cheese, I'm hoping one day I will.
  • skinnymoomoo
    Options
    Well I tried 'Tesco' half fat cheese..... yuck,, it looked like rubber, tasted like rubber and melted awful.

I tried LowLow spread yummy, Love it!!!!

I tried Laughing Cow light and extra light cheese triangles... the light are nice, but the extra light are awful!

as for the cheddar....next!