Bad Man Ronald McDonald

Options
wriglucy
wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
So I saw Anthony Bourdain last night in Tallahassee...SUPER funny by the way. But, he was talking about how Ronald McDonald is more recognizable worldwide than Mickey Mouse or Jesus. Crazy! And, he was saying ways to get his kid from not eating that food, and one idea he said, was that when they put her to bed, he'll whisper loudly to his wife outside her door "Oh did you hear? Ronald took another one. Another kid has gone missing." haha.

And, he was talking about how if broccoli or something healthy was wrapped in a shiney McDonald's wrapper, kids are more likely to eat it and like it because of its packaging. So, he thought of a way to scare his kid from never liking the food in the wrapper. He said to take the kids favorite barbie, dip her head in chocolate, and wrap it in the paper. Then say something like "ok honey, I'm going out for a bit. Make sure you don't eat that yummy chocolate desert from McDonalds I got." haha...then, the kid would bite into it, see the barbie head, and be freaked out. Haha....ok, that one for sure was just a joke. But he has a point about trying to show the kids that the food is bad there.

He also mentioned, "yeah, you can tell your kids that food from there is bad. But, my mom told me herione was bad, and look how good that worked." (he had a herione problem in the 80's).

So...I just thought I'd share. He was SUPER funny...but this stood out because we need to start training our kids not to eat crap. His daughter is 4 in April, and has never had fast food...she doesn't even know what it is. Which...I think is a great start to getting your kids to eat healthy through life.

(Disclaimer: I did not research any of his "sources" for his comments, and I'm sure most of what he said was meant to be a joke. Also, I quoted him, but they are not exact...he said something like that though.)

Replies

• baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I think Ronald McDonald is kinda creepy looking...IMO
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan! I love watching him on Travel.

And it's true. Our children eat what we give them. I don't have kids yet, (I have to lose some weight first), but I can tell you from my own experience as a child, that I don't struggle with certain foods that many others do, simply because they weren't common in our home.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    McDonald's food doesn't even taste good...so why would you waste such good calories on crap?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    clowns in general are just scary,I would rather go on a date with michale myers freddy kruger and pinhead than go withen 100 feet of a clown
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Okay, but that's just weird. And I've done some weird stuff to teach my kids over the years :)

I think for my kids I want them to not thing McDonald's, or anything, is 'bad', or scare them about it because it's like he even said, it's just going to make them want it more. And dipping a Barbie in chocolate may work for my 5 yr old, but not for my 15 yr old or 19 yr old. They'd just think I was nuts. Perhaps the theory is that if you do it while they are young, you'll have them thinking that way as they grow up. I wish it were that easy. Back to my point, I want the kids to be able to have 'bad' things once-in-a-while if they want and go on, not make there be things that are considered 'off-limit'. That's just not real life, at least not mine. I'd rather they learn portion control, that such things are 'treats', not staples, and to live in an overall healthy way - not a overly-restricted one. For instance, I personally love McDonald's, but couldn't care less about ice cream. So I could live the rest of my life without ice cream, and mostly do. But if I'm going to have a splurge, it's going to be on a burger and fries. I will just choose to get a small one and not the 1500 calorie, drippy cheese and bacon covered one (yum), and a small fries. Then try not to do it again for a good while. But if I totally deny myself, I become obsessed. *shrug*

JMO

Pam
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    clowns in general are just scary,I would rather go on a date with michale myers freddy kruger and pinhead than go withen 100 feet of a clown

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My son plays alot of sports...Football, Baseball, Basketball ect....My kids HATE fast food! Every season with the late night practices and the late games, I would find myself in the drive thru line yet again....They literally began to despise it.

The terrible thing is I would skip eating, in my mind thinking I am not going to eat that crap yet again. Feeling like I have to feed my kids something I would make them eat it rather than a sandwich and some fruit.

Last year I started using my crock a bit more, hard though in the spring and summer months as no one wants anything hot.

This year it will be different! Now I know they will not die if they opt for a tuna sandwich if I am running late, or a big salad with some grilled chicken I have made up and frozen ahead of time. There are options for me. I just had to find them. Still finding them.

I think it's so sad that I am 41 years old and just now learning how to eat healthy. There are a zillion recipe books on eating light and healthy, it was always so overwhelming. Now I am taking it a little at a time and cutting bad things out of our diet slowly but surely....I think I can, I think I can!

I am so glad they "overdosed" on fast food, and now if we get it 1-2 times a month its alot. The last thing that needs to go is Pizza. I seriously need to learn how to make that at home.

Ronald McDonald can suck it......:laugh:
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Once you make the switch to eating whole foods, fast food tastes pretty nasty. Even my every now and again Chickfila tastes so salty! Last week, we made our boys (11 &17) watch Food Inc. that we downloaded from Netflix. If you have not seen this documentary on America's food industry and meat moguls, I highly recommend it! It will definately make you think about what you are putting in your body!
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    Just had to add that I have a secret crush on Anthony Bourdain, although I wouldn't eat half the stuff he does.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Once you make the switch to eating whole foods, fast food tastes pretty nasty. Even my every now and again Chickfila tastes so salty! Last week, we made our boys (11 &17) watch Food Inc. that we downloaded from Netflix. If you have not seen this documentary on America's food industry and meat moguls, I highly recommend it! It will definately make you think about what you are putting in your body!

Is that movie legit? Like...are their sources legit sources? I just wonder. I've never seen it, but I'm always skeptical I'm going to end up getting some guys "extreme" opinion, rather than the truth. And, I don't eat meat...so does it talk about other stuff?

Thanks!
  • barberella
    Options
    Everyone makes very good points regarding McDonald's and fast food. I personally do not eat McDonalds or any fast food whatsoever because as someone else pointed out, once you eat whole foods, fast food tastes disgusting. And I do not want to waste my calories nor money on that crap. Plus, have you ever watched the video about McDonald's fries that do not rot after six months? Because of all the preservatives in them, they do not change in appearance. That should tell you something.

And regarding the documentary "Food Inc", I have watched that too. It's such an eye opener how much corn is a major staple in our food industry. Really should make you think what you put into your body.