How do you get your fibre?

Options
I want to up my fibre intake. Any suggestions?

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump....Would love to hear the reply's to this as I need to up mine too :)
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    To get mine-I eat Weight Control Oat Meal, Campbells Soup, and just read the labels on what i eat. Between Protein and Fiber-those are the two that I watch the most to make sure I get them (to keep full!).
  • schorkj
    schorkj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Cereal Bars are AWESOME!! The Fiber Plus Cereal Bars look pretty damn tasty also; going to try those next week.
  • fbophotomama
    Options
    Fiber One products are GREAT to get alot of fiber. They have some whole wheat bread that actually tastes REALLY good (and that comming from someone who couldnt' stand wheat bread 2 months go before starting my weight loss journey! lol) Kelloggs also has some good products. They have this Fiber Plus Cereal...the Berry Yogurt variety is to die for! Thier fiber bars are also really good...they'd rival the ones Fiber One makes, and have different flavors so it's easy to mix them up for variety. Walmart Also has generic versions of the Fiber One bars too...so they're less expensive.

HTH!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and whole grains (oats, quinoa, barley, millet..ect)
  • fbophotomama
    Options
    LOL Looks like we posted at the same time! haha I just wanted to mention to you that the Kellogs Fiber Plus bars are SUPER good! They have this Coconut Dark Chocolate one, it tastes JUST like the Girl Scout Samoa cookies!! MMMMMMM!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I look for high fiber foods. Fiber One is a great choice. I also use Ole' Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness Tortillas. They are large burrito size tortillas with 71 calories and 12g fiber. Healthy Life bread is also a great addition. Two slices of their bread is only 70 calories and 5g fiber. The best advice is to just read your labels.
  • RVLMonavie
    Options
    I try to get my fiber by suplements, its hard to keep up with the count. Plus I need the regularity or my weight goes up 1-3 bls. I was told by a doctor friend of mine Dr James Evans that most obese people have issues due to the irregularity of their bow movements. I also saw a video on You tube about colon cleansen and that was the momment I desided if I could not eat it I'll just used the supplements. My life is easier knowing that my fiber intake is no guess work
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Whole grains are a great source of fiber, check lables when buying breads and pastas some have more fiber than others. Fruits and veggies also have fiber in them, so try and get enough or those in your diet. Some cereal, granola, oatmeal all have a good amount of fiber in them, but again, check the lables and watch out for to much sugar in some of these. If you really aren't getting enough fiber from what you eat, try a fiber supplement inaddition but don't rely on it souly for all fiber.

Also, look at soluable and insoluable fibers. Both are good for you, and from what I remember in college insoluable helps bowl movements and solualbe helps keep you feeling fuller longer. But dont take my word for it; a quick google search could answer some of your questions.
  • grandmatbigsky
    Options
    Raw wheat bran, available for cheap in any health food bin at your local grocer, is actually surprisingly tasty stuff..working 6Tbsp. into whatever you're eating in the course of a day is pretty easy and adds ALOT of healthy fiber. Try it in sprinkled on your oatmeal...your fruit and yogurt...toast and honey...even a salad or, (surprise!) your grapefruit! Some people like to dip apple or peach slices into it; even cheese cubes. It's not just for bread anymore!
    My husband and I used to raise wheat, and this is "the good stuff" that is blown away from the outside of each kernel in order to make white flour. Wheat bran MAY(??) stll contain a smidge of gluten, but not much, so if you're celiac or gluten sesitive you might want to do a little homework on that issue before munching.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Beans!! 1 cup of dried beans to 4 cups of water, throw it all in the crockpot with chopped garlic and onions before going to bed. When you wake up the next morning all you have to do is salt to taste. I made pinto beans last week, and 1 cup has 15 grams of fiber--more than half of the daily recommendation. Beans are definitely my #1 choice for a healthy fiber fix! :)
  • live2smyle
    Options
    Beans!! 1 cup of dried beans to 4 cups of water, throw it all in the crockpot with chopped garlic and onions before going to bed. When you wake up the next morning all you have to do is salt to taste. I made pinto beans last week, and 1 cup has 15 grams of fiber--more than half of the daily recommendation. Beans are definitely my #1 choice for a healthy fiber fix! :)

Is this how you made the pintos? I LOVE LOVE refried beans but the canned goods are so bad for you would love to make these from scratch!!
  • live2smyle
    Options
    LOL Looks like we posted at the same time! haha I just wanted to mention to you that the Kellogs Fiber Plus bars are SUPER good! They have this Coconut Dark Chocolate one, it tastes JUST like the Girl Scout Samoa cookies!! MMMMMMM!

I bought these last week and I can never buy them again...They taste DELICIOUS and one just did not cut it for me...Somewhere in my head is well its granola how bad could it be and I ate 2 or more at a sitting :embarassed: LMAO I am going to keep on trucking down the grocery isle from these suckers lol
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Is this how you made the pintos? I LOVE LOVE refried beans but the canned goods are so bad for you would love to make these from scratch!!
    Sure is! They turned out ah-mazing (although you could cut back on the water, to even 3 cups, but they thicken up once refrigerated.)
    And I used them to make refried beans for a hot dip recipe! They were SO good, and it made me feel so, I don't know, smug?:tongue: to know I was eating HEALTHY refried beans.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    All Bran Cereal, Chia Seeds and a Banana for Breakfast and I am at about 20 grams or so of fiber.

Beans, cook your own from dry so you can limit the sodium.

Whole grains. Cook up some wheat berries, or Oat Groats, or Quinoa.

Veggies especially ones like Avocado, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Carrot, Greens -- collards, kale, turnip greens and Mushrooms.

Fruit.

Basically, most processed meals are low in fiber unless they try to keep it in, although the 1-2 grams of fiber that pass for a meal to be "high fiber" doesn't cut it for me. It needs at least 4 or more grams per serving for me to consider it high fiber. Read labels. I won't buy a cereal that has too little fiber.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    flax seeds! 4 carbs + 4 grams of fiber = 0 net carbs!
    fiber one is good too
  • darcibean
    Options
    I eat Sara Lee 45 calories and delightful wheat bread and it has 15 grams of fiber in 2 slices.
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of bran, fruit, and veggies.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of corn and tomatoes and wholegrain bread.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    veggies, whole wheat pastas, brown rice, oranges, almonds, all through the diet. I also add in some sugar free psyillium fiber to up it if needed. I aim to get 30g of fiber daily and add the supplement as needed.