Any Pittsburghers out there?

Options
Hi everyone... I'm Beth, 34, from Pittsburgh, PA.

My (abbreviated) story is as follows: I was always a chubby kid. Always had a belly on me. When I was in junior high and high school, I was pretty average-sized, but I never saw myself that way. I was one of those kids who got teased for being a "nerd" and for being "fat," so eventually I just identified myself that way. When I hit college, I had no healthy eating or exercise habits. I started packing it on and by the time I graduated I was about 60 lbs overweight. I resigned myself to the idea that I would always be overweight. Then in April 2002, I suddenly had the motivation to change. I started counting calories, watching portion sizes, and exercising and by December of that year I'd dropped almost 60 lbs. I was able to keep it off for about 6 years. Then about 3 years ago, I moved to Pittsburgh, and the stress of the move, starting over, etc caused me to gain about 25 lbs of the weight back. And that's why I'm here! I want to fit into my old clothes again and get my self-confidence back.

I actually started back in December, so I've already lost about 12 lbs. It has really helped that some of my co-workers are also on board and we've been supporting each other. But having a place like this to turn to is nice, too. I was using another site to track my food and exercise, but some friends intoduced me to mfp and I like it better.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop in and introduce myself! Have a great day, everyone. :happy:

Replies

• ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hii!!! I am from Pittsburgh as well! It's nice to find some fellow Pittsburghers on here.
    Congrats on your loss so far..you are going to find this website very helpful! :smile:
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey Beth! Welcome! Congrats on the 12 pounds...that's awesome!! Feel free to add me! I'm north of Pittsburgh by about 35 miles, but I still consider myself a 'burgher :)
  • itsgemmafool
    Options
    hey beth :) i'm from pittsburgh as well. i wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey !
  • bryony_pie
    Options
    Pittsburgher here, too! Feel free to add me! And congrats on the great job you've done so far!
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    I am 35ish miles n of pittsburgh too, but I work at the airport
  • newsammy11
    newsammy11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh :) hahah, trip to see the Czech man soon :):)
  • dc5rn
    dc5rn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    from pittsburgh too.. everyone is welcome to add me!!
  • Beth_1217
    Options
    I'm from Pittsburgh :) hahah, trip to see the Czech man soon :):)

Hehe! I totally did not see this! You are too funny! :)
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    Ive recently relocated to Pittsburgh, from Colorado about 7 months ago!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Hey Beth! I am in PIttsburgh...the South Hills!